Water macro

A

AcinonyxJG

My best picture so far of water photography, tell me what you think and post some of your pictures too!

IMG_0980.jpg

Jul 21, 2010
AcinonyxJG said:
On 500px, it says the shutter speed was 1 second? Is this true or an error, if it was 1 second, how is it not blurred?

It was shot in a dark room with the only illimunation coming from the flash(es). The illumination from strobes can be much shorter in duration than even the fastest dSLR mechanical shutter, so you leave the shutter open for a while and the light stops the action. That's how fast events - speeding bullets, hummingbird wings, etc. - are captured. Furthermore, capacitor driven strobes (like Speedlites) have only one intensity - full power. Your flash can produce different amount of light, but what you may think is intensity is really duration - if a scene needs more light, the flash just stays on longer. So, if you want to shoot hummingbirds at a feeder, one flash won't do the trick - at higher power, it's enough light but the duration is too long and you get too much wing blur, so instead, you set up multiple flashes and shoot them together at low power.

Courtesy of photosbykev, the flash durations of a 580EX are:

full power = 1/1000 s
1/2 power = 1/2000 s
1/4 power = 1/4000 s
1/8 power = 1/9000 s
1/16 power = 1/15000 s
1/32 power = 1/21000 s
1/64 power = 1/30000 s
1/128 power = 1/35000 s

Upvote 0
Actually it was not shot in a dark room. However neuroanatomist is correct that the shot was frozen with flash - not with a high shutter speed.

The whole setup was achieved using a Stopshot that I recently purchased. In terms of a 1 second shutter speed, the actual shutter speed was less than that. I had the camera on bulb mode and used the Stopshot to control the shutter time. For some reason Canon seems to register it as 1 second but the shutter speed of the camera doesn't really matter here anyways.

I wrote a guest blog for a friend on the setup - http://www.ronmartblog.com/2011/12/high-speed-drop-photographygetting.html - though I have changed it a bit since (and since I just bought this am changing it each time I shoot).

Upvote 0
D

D.Sim

neuroanatomist said:
AcinonyxJG said:
On 500px, it says the shutter speed was 1 second? Is this true or an error, if it was 1 second, how is it not blurred?

It was shot in a dark room with the only illimunation coming from the flash(es). The illumination from strobes can be much shorter in duration than even the fastest dSLR mechanical shutter, so you leave the shutter open for a while and the light stops the action. That's how fast events - speeding bullets, hummingbird wings, etc. - are captured. Furthermore, capacitor driven strobes (like Speedlites) have only one intensity - full power. Your flash can produce different amount of light, but what you may think is intensity is really duration - if a scene needs more light, the flash just stays on longer. So, if you want to shoot hummingbirds at a feeder, one flash won't do the trick - at higher power, it's enough light but the duration is too long and you get too much wing blur, so instead, you set up multiple flashes and shoot them together at low power.

Courtesy of photosbykev, the flash durations of a 580EX are:

full power = 1/1000 s
1/2 power = 1/2000 s
1/4 power = 1/4000 s
1/8 power = 1/9000 s
1/16 power = 1/15000 s
1/32 power = 1/21000 s
1/64 power = 1/30000 s
1/128 power = 1/35000 s

Oo, interesting article, been wondering what the speeds were... you wouldnt happen to know the durations for the 430EX II would you? been trying to find articles but havent found any yet...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
thepancakeman said:
candyman said:
neuroanatomist said:
Very nice!
Here's mine:
Very nice photo! Fascinating those reflections
Yeah, how did you edit yourself out of the reflections? :eek: ::)

No need - it was at at 5x with the MP-E 65mm, the FoV is smaller than the fingernail of your pinky (the white spots are the reflections of the MT-24 EX flash heads).

D.Sim said:
Oo, interesting article, been wondering what the speeds were... you wouldnt happen to know the durations for the 430EX II would you? been trying to find articles but havent found any yet...

Sorry, no idea. I found one post indicating the 430EX II is ~1/520 s at full power, but that post also stated 1/520 s for 1/2 power, and that can't be correct. I would guess they'll be the same or longer than the 580 for a given flash power, since the 430 has a less powerful flash tube.

Upvote 0