Will new 1d Mark IVs drop in price come March?

W

Wingspan

Guest
Hello gents,

I love the specs on the new 1dx but my fav lens is the 16-35mm on a 1.3x sensor. Since I already have a ff camera and will update to its successor the mark III whenever it comes out, I need to upgrade to the mark IV from its predecessor. I will buy the mark IV new but am wondering if the price will go down once the 1dx is out in March. Any ideas? I remember the price of the mark III dropping like a stone when IV came out but I suspect a lot of that was because the III was viewed as somewhat flawed model or at least perceived so by many. But I don't know really.

So, if price of the IV won't come down, I better sell my III asap before the market is somewhat flooded with used IVs.

The others guys are going through this next month so maybe that could be a good indicator?

Your thoughts and time are greatly appreciated.
 
W

willrobb

Guest
I would think the mkIV price will drop in the not too distant future, I don't think it'll be huge drop in price, but there will be a drop from stores wanting to get rid of the 1DmkIV stock to make room for the 1DX, especially if 1DmkIV production is going to cease (is it?)!
 

dolina

millennial
Dec 27, 2011
1,983
127
29
34109
www.facebook.com
Once the 1DX comes out Canon will stop production of the 1D4. So any discounts will be made if the item does not move within 1-2 months after the 1DX starts shipping in April.
 
S

smirkypants

Guest
dolina said:
Once the 1DX comes out Canon will stop production of the 1D4. So any discounts will be made if the item does not move within 1-2 months after the 1DX starts shipping in April.
I think in the January issue of Advanced Photography (A UK Mag), when discussing the 1Dx a Canon rep said that the 1D4 was not being discontinued.
 

dolina

millennial
Dec 27, 2011
1,983
127
29
34109
www.facebook.com
smirkypants said:
dolina said:
Once the 1DX comes out Canon will stop production of the 1D4. So any discounts will be made if the item does not move within 1-2 months after the 1DX starts shipping in April.
I think in the January issue of Advanced Photography (A UK Mag), when discussing the 1Dx a Canon rep said that the 1D4 was not being discontinued.
In a press release relating to the 1DX Canon stated that they will be dedicating their 7,000/month capacity to the 1DX.
 

wickidwombat

EOS 5D SR
Oct 27, 2011
4,543
0
I agree with spokane, i've been looking out for a good priced 1D4 and the cheapest they ever got to was about 1 week before the 1Dx got anounced and ever since the prices used went up, cheapest i've seen is new for about 4k out of hong kong. I like you absolutely love the APS-H with 16-35 combo especially when i have the 70-200 f2.8 on a 5D2 along side.

and as an aside i'm not going to bother selling my mk3 i have been wanting a dedicated Infrared camera for a while so that baby is going in for a makeover and will become IR only that way i dont have to worry about trying to sell it and losing lots of money on it.
 
B

briansquibb

Guest
I am just loving the 1D4 and 70-300L combo - best of both worlds - portable and high performance
 

Attachments

traveller

EOS 6D MK II
Jul 22, 2010
895
58
wickidwombat said:
and as an aside i'm not going to bother selling my mk3 i have been wanting a dedicated Infrared camera for a while so that baby is going in for a makeover and will become IR only that way i dont have to worry about trying to sell it and losing lots of money on it.
Are you joking or just crazy? What advantages would a 1D series have over a basic 'Rebel' as an IR converted camera? In the UK, MPB Photographic are selling used 1D MkIIIs at £1379 and an IR converted 550D at £519. I know what I'd do...
 

wickidwombat

EOS 5D SR
Oct 27, 2011
4,543
0
traveller said:
wickidwombat said:
and as an aside i'm not going to bother selling my mk3 i have been wanting a dedicated Infrared camera for a while so that baby is going in for a makeover and will become IR only that way i dont have to worry about trying to sell it and losing lots of money on it.
Are you joking or just crazy? What advantages would a 1D series have over a basic 'Rebel' as an IR converted camera? In the UK, MPB Photographic are selling used 1D MkIIIs at £1379 and an IR converted 550D at £519. I know what I'd do...
Um... how can you compare a rebel to a 1D

Weather proof
Autofocus
AF micro adjust
better IQ than a rebel
AF at f8

hows that for starters?
 
B

briansquibb

Guest
traveller said:
wickidwombat said:
and as an aside i'm not going to bother selling my mk3 i have been wanting a dedicated Infrared camera for a while so that baby is going in for a makeover and will become IR only that way i dont have to worry about trying to sell it and losing lots of money on it.
Are you joking or just crazy? What advantages would a 1D series have over a basic 'Rebel' as an IR converted camera? In the UK, MPB Photographic are selling used 1D MkIIIs at £1379 and an IR converted 550D at £519. I know what I'd do...
Why would anyone buy a 1series body - because they are the bes!

Thank you for cheering my day up ;D ;D ;D ;D
 
W

Wingspan

Guest
Well, did anybody buy a a new Mark III as the IV was coming out? That I imagine would be a good indicator as to wether this thing is going to go on sale anytime soon. Thanks again.
 

wickidwombat

EOS 5D SR
Oct 27, 2011
4,543
0
Wingspan said:
Well, did anybody buy a a new Mark III as the IV was coming out? That I imagine would be a good indicator as to wether this thing is going to go on sale anytime soon. Thanks again.
i certainly hope you are right
 
B

briansquibb

Guest
wickidwombat said:
Wingspan said:
Well, did anybody buy a a new Mark III as the IV was coming out? That I imagine would be a good indicator as to wether this thing is going to go on sale anytime soon. Thanks again.
i certainly hope you are right
A bit different this time as there seems to be no direct (1.3) replacement for the 1D4, so I would guess there ill be a queue of wildlife and sports shooters wanting one
 

marinien

EOS T7i
Nov 22, 2011
77
0
briansquibb said:
wickidwombat said:
Wingspan said:
Well, did anybody buy a a new Mark III as the IV was coming out? That I imagine would be a good indicator as to wether this thing is going to go on sale anytime soon. Thanks again.
i certainly hope you are right
A bit different this time as there seems to be no direct (1.3) replacement for the 1D4, so I would guess there ill be a queue of wildlife and sports shooters wanting one
+1

Do you think that the price of used 1Ds mkIII will not drop much as it has the AF at f/8 advantage compare to the 1D X?
 
B

briansquibb

Guest
marinien said:
briansquibb said:
wickidwombat said:
Wingspan said:
Well, did anybody buy a a new Mark III as the IV was coming out? That I imagine would be a good indicator as to wether this thing is going to go on sale anytime soon. Thanks again.
i certainly hope you are right
A bit different this time as there seems to be no direct (1.3) replacement for the 1D4, so I would guess there ill be a queue of wildlife and sports shooters wanting one
+1

Do you think that the price of used 1Ds mkIII will not drop much as it has the AF at f/8 advantage compare to the 1D X?
I think if anything the price of the 1D4 will stay strong as the 1DX alternative will be much more expensive