Canon announces the Canon RF 10-20mm f/4L IS STM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, NY, October 11, 2023 – Today, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, announced the launch of the RF10-20MM F4 L IS STM lens, a full-frame ultra wide- angle lens that can help the work of a professional photographer or serious enthusiast stand out from the crowd. Opening the door to supreme full-frame

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user
The EF 11-24 is one of my most used lenses, especially for landscape. Despite its f4 this lens is also great for astro (11mm - very good coma correction …). The only downside is its weight. Now, the new RF version is much lighter and this fact makes it very attractive to me. Provided an optical performance at least at the s of the EF version I think I could accept the compromises: 20 instead of 24 mm at the longer end and no possibility to use filters.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Wow, the weight on this lens is absolutely awesome. I don't think I'm in the market for this one (I´ve got the 14-35mm F4) but I am really intrigued. The only downside so far (we´ll have to wait for tests) is it uses a STM motor instead of a USM motor.
The 11-22mm EF-M was STM, but because it's so wide things just don't have to move that much. It does provide FTM which is usually not there on STM lenses, so there's probably not really much of a downside.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The 11-22mm EF-M was STM, but because it's so wide things just don't have to move that much. It does provide FTM which is usually not there on STM lenses, so there's probably not really much of a downside.
It’s a fake FTM, though, since backdriving a leadscrew is a bad idea, mechanically speaking.
Another software thing Canon only doles out to ‘deserving’ lenses…

Upvote 0
Before you read what I’m writing here, I’ll just say one thing. If you love going really wide and even wider and have been waiting for your dream lens on the RF mount, then don’t waste time finishing reading this article before you preorder. Simply. Do. It. Now. I remember a time when Canon’s ultra-wide

See full article...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It’s a fake FTM, though, since backdriving a leadscrew is a bad idea, mechanically speaking.
Another software thing Canon only doles out to ‘deserving’ lenses…
You aren't racking focus on a 70-200mm though. the amount of movement is pretty small.
I think it's more a size and weight thing than a "deserving" thing.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
You aren't racking focus on a 70-200mm though. the amount of movement is pretty small.
I think it's more a size and weight thing than a "deserving" thing.
But all RF L lenses get the software based FTM, including the 100-500L, so I'm not completely convinced it's a purely technical issue. Having said that, the L lenses tend to have nano-USM. My counter examples would include the 16,28 and 50mm STM primes :)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Here is the MTF chart comparison between the new lens and the EF 11-24mm.
Source: the-digital-picture
View attachment 212182
I think the 11-24 MTF is using the old method of calculating it, Canon changed it a few years ago to be more realistic (lower numbers), but Canon USA is too lazy to update their website :(.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0