18-55mm EF-m IS STM experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paul13walnut5

I can get a good nearly new used price on one of these... worth augmenting my M system with?

I love the 22mm for the compact form, is the quality of the 18-55 sufficient that it's worth getting one?

I had thought about getting an EF-s 18-55 IS that would work across my bodies, but then I've already got the (better) Sigma 18-50 f2.8, so I thought I'd focus more on an M system so to speak, M+adaptor+EF-s standard becomes a bit larger.

What do you reckon, if the price is right? Worth a punt?

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
IQ is very good. A little soft in the corners wide open and some flare with intense light sources in the frame. But impressive overall.

IS is great and easily gets you 3 stops, 4 if you're careful. For that reason the 22mm is not necessarily the low light king. If motion is not an issue, the IS trumps it.

It seems to be the perfect mix of size/weight and zoom range for casual vacation and street shots.

Still love the 22mm, but I'm glad I got the 18-55.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
At first, when I viewed test pics I was very lukewarm about it.

But, after buying one and using it on many occasions, here are my real-world thoughts:

Outdoors in good light - it is surprisingly good. It is clearly a step above any P&S and can keep pace with the DSLR kit lenses. Don't expect top-notch L quality - but man, for its size, I was really impressed.

Indoors, however, it can struggle a bit sometimes. I prefer using the 22 (or 40 + adapter) to shoot events indoors.

Upvote 0
Got my 18-55mm yesterday. Let's just say the 22mm spoiled me. :)

Low light focusing is extremely limited on the 18-55, where on the 22mm, it was hard to find something I couldn't focus on. AF seems kinda... uh, laggy? When you half press the shutter button, there's a slight hesitation that's not on the 22mm. AF speed after that seems similar, though. And yeah, it's definitely sharp enough for anything you'd ever shoot with the M, though the bokeh is a bit uneasy.

It's roughly 2.5x the length of the 22mm, so the camera's no longer pocketable with it on. Nice and smooth zoom ring, though, and extends pretty far, so it's nice that it was kept as compact as it is closed.

Like most kit zooms, it makes compromises, but considering there are only 3 lenses total for the system, it's definitely good enough for the price it's currently going for in the US (around $150 new). I'd say if you have the 22mm, go for the 18-55mm as well. If you have the 18-55mm, don't judge the camera until you try the 22mm, too. :)

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
BlueBomberTurbo said:
Low light focusing is extremely limited on the 18-55, where on the 22mm, it was hard to find something I couldn't focus on. AF seems kinda... uh, laggy? When you half press the shutter button, there's a slight hesitation that's not on the 22mm.

This is the opposite of my experience. BUT...I have AF on the rear button, use single point mode, and I always put my AF point over an area of strong contrast. I actually feel that the 18-55 is quick in this configuration, i.e. comparable to similar DSLR lenses.

Upvote 0
docsmith said:
I really like both lenses on the EOS-M...

Both nice images. I agree about the quality of the two lenses, and the bargain price helps, too. I would love to see a nice compact telephoto for the system, but at the same time I have very little incentive to buy a lot of lenses for it. It will never be my primary system, but having options isn't bad, either.

Upvote 0
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
docsmith said:
I really like both lenses on the EOS-M...

Both nice images. I agree about the quality of the two lenses, and the bargain price helps, too. I would love to see a nice compact telephoto for the system, but at the same time I have very little incentive to buy a lot of lenses for it. It will never be my primary system, but having options isn't bad, either.

i'd be all over either a 15-85 or an 18-200 its just the camera i would actually use a zoom like these on and leave my fast primes on the 5Ds

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.