1DX Battery Issue?

Hey everyone, I just bought a brand new 1DX. Received it yesterday. I have a couple questions regarding the battery. The battery reading seems to be very inconsistent. It will show, say 92% and then I'll check it again and it will read 88%. Once I powered the camera up from sleep and it showed 58%. I checked again a minute or 2 later and it showed 47%. The battery doesn't seem to last too long either. I have a second brand new battery that I charged last night. I popped it in the camera last night... took a couple of shots and then replaced it with the other battery. It read 98 or 99%. Now, just about an hour ago, I thought I'd test the battery (see if it's doing the same thing as the other.) Sure enough it is; very inconsistent. Also... the battery read 87%.... it was practically fully charged last night. Whats going on???
Thanks

Check your Auto-Sleep time settings (so the camera goes to sleep instead of sitting on in your bag). Also, are you running with 1 or 2 batteries? I know the 1-series pulls more power & can send more power to the lenses than other cameras. Don't know if it's just a matter of voltage, or if the batteries also contain more Ah capacity.

Upvote 0
Drizzt321 said:
Check your Auto-Sleep time settings (so the camera goes to sleep instead of sitting on in your bag). Also, are you running with 1 or 2 batteries? I know the 1-series pulls more power & can send more power to the lenses than other cameras. Don't know if it's just a matter of voltage, or if the batteries also contain more Ah capacity.
The auto sleep is set to 1 minute. Always has been. Regarding the question about 1 or 2 batteries: doesn't the 1DX only hold the one battery (LP-E4N)? May sound stupid of me to ask lol but it's my first 1-series. Like I said, the battery life shows a very inconsistent reading. For instance: I just turned the camera on and it showed 47%. 10 seconds later it showed 45%. Few seconds later it read 44%. My 5D3 doesn't behave this way.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The 1-series bodies take only a single battery (but it's a big one). I have not experienced any of the issues you're describing. I have found battery drain to be predictable, the only variable is the type of shooting I am doing. When taking lots of bursts (which happen fast on a 1D X) I get a lot of shots per battery charge, with a relatively slow drain. When doing a lot of live you shooting, drain is faster, but still proceeds at a steady pace.

You might consider contacting Canon service. Possible things to try before that would be to reset all of the camera settings to the factory default using that menu option (if you have a complex set up already, you can write those settings to a card and reload them later if that doesn't help), or a full reset (remove the main battery and the coin-cell clock battery, leave them out for a few minutes, then put them back in).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies.

It does seem like really strange behavior. None of my past cameras did this. Now also, like I said in the OP, I had fully charged one of the LP-E4N's the other night and checked it the next day and it was 87%. I figured maybe it's a faulty battery. But last night, I charged the other battery (100%) and just checked it now and its at 90%. WTF?

Drizzt321 said:
Oh. Interesting. I thought it'd take 2 like the grip on my 5d3 does. Shows you how much I've used a 1-series camera :eek:
I thought the exact same thing! That's why I ordered a second LP-E4N before my 1DX got here lol.

Upvote 0