1dx II delivers on jpeg quality

Jan 29, 2011
Eldar said:
privatebydesign said:
As a little follow up, here is a screenshot 'before and after' of an image I took whilst playing with the settings of the camera I borrowed. Played with the shadows of a RAW file just to have a look, I have included the sliders and all adjustments are global there is no local processing.
Yupp, it is in a totally different league, both in terms of noise and dynamic range, compared to its predecessors.

Turning into an understatement Eldar.

Here is the same image compared to one from the 1DS MkIII both at 100% on screen and processed to get as close as possible to the 1DX MkII.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2017-04-29-at-5.09.57-PM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2017-04-29-at-5.09.57-PM.jpg
    985.4 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
tpatana said:
The second one is shot half the shutter speed, hence it starts already one stop darker.

No, they were both shot to ETTR, they are both exposed optimally, that is what more DR actually translates to.

But even so, the 1DS MkIII image is still darker even though it needed more lifting.

To be sure this was a very off the cuff comparison, and the 1DS MkIII is a superb camera that was way ahead of its time and still takes a great image, it was just an example of how far all those 'incremental' steps have taken us. I rarely find the 1DS MkIII IQ lacking, but I won't say no to having more.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hey Scott, good for you. Now that spring is upon us I'm using the camera more and not having AF issues. My conclusion is this. I was using 400 X2 giving me F8 and then selecting AF spot points in the extremities and here is a quote from Canon Canada:

As light levels diminish, eventually AI Servo AF will cease to function before One-Shot AF does. This is because One-Shot AF allows a longer sampling period for AF measurement in low light than AI Servo does. (The AF measurement sampling period is analogous to a shutter speed for the AF sensor. The longer the sampling period, the greater the sensitivity.) Remember that the AF sensor in the camera has a low light threshold, typically EV -1 or -2 depending on the camera; this figure is quoted specifically for the center AF point with One-Shot AF. It's usually about 2 stops less than than with AI Servo AF, and even lower with off-center focusing points. Therefore, if maximum sensitivity for AF in low light is your priority, we strongly recommend One-Shot AF with the center focusing point.

There is also the dependence of AF cross vs. non-cross relative to the lens being used and F8 places fairly severe restrictions even though all 61 are available. So, these factors coupled with low and mostly back lighting just challenged the AF too much. My present results are generally good.

Forgot to mention that I was doing a mental comparison to my 6D and thinking my results were no better without noting my general rule of not shooting above ISO 1250 if I could help it with the 6D. Here I am shooting the 1DX2 up to ISO 3200 routinely when I just wouldn't have bothered with the 6D.

BTW regarding AF modes and button programming. You can program AF-ON and the shutter both for AF and have them both depressed. The AF-ON overrides until you let up pressing, at which time the shutter AF takes over using the same spot AF point for starters. Basically, I instantly press both and just release my thumb if I wish to go from single spot AI servo to large zone with all focus points. This doesn't even involve moving a finger from its location and is totally intuitive. For me one-shot is via my * button.

Jack

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
privatebydesign said:
tpatana said:
The second one is shot half the shutter speed, hence it starts already one stop darker.

No, they were both shot to ETTR, they are both exposed optimally, that is what more DR actually translates to.

Other settings (ISO, F number) were same, but one was 1/640 and other 1/1250. Of course the 1/1250 will be one stop darker to begin with, regardless of the ETTR or anything, assuming light conditions were exact same.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2011
privatebydesign said:
tpatana said:

But even so, the 1DS MkIII image is still darker even though it needed more lifting.

To be sure this was a very off the cuff comparison, and the 1DS MkIII is a superb camera that was way ahead of its time and still takes a great image, it was just an example of how far all those 'incremental' steps have taken us. I rarely find the 1DS MkIII IQ lacking, but I won't say no to having more.
I still love my 1ds my III 5 d IV does show it up it more extreme photoshop manipulation

Upvote 0