1DX Mark II LCD screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to find the right brightness for the screen and the white balance is so off I don't even know what the image is going to look like until I see it on the computer...
The old 1DX LCD white balance representation was off but this one is waaaaaay different. Skin tones look bluer and duller than they really are. I tried shooting in Auto WB or even Flash or anything and I can't really see which one is more accurate.
Talking about Auto WB. Wow... horrible... Shooting the same exact scene with the same flashes and settings changes dramatically between images. so much that it is scary unusable...
I like the images to be as faithful as possible on the screen and at least show my client what they look like while shooting but, again, the skin tones and whites are totally off.
Is there a way to change the temperature of the actual LCD?
It is very hard to work like this.
Thanx! Pat

Did you check to see if you are using the AWB or the AUTO White Balance white? there are two auto white balances for shooting, maybe ......

off topic, but maybe you can help

i cant get it to shoot tethered. Am i missing something?? I connected the camera usb to the tether tool, to my computer. I updated lightroom too. Anyhow, i go into lightroom, select start tether capture, plug in... and the camera says busy and blinks a computer icon on the lcd screen. And the computers tether capture window, just flashes... but it does read that its the 1dxmark2......

is there a setting i am missing

at the bottom of my computer the tool bar pops up with the camera icon, i click on it... its the window showing me how to transfer images

ps i have a cf card in the camera

help

Upvote 0
instaimage said:
I think you need to have Canon take a look, I have three 1DX2's and in every way, they're all better than my previous 4 1DX's...
Hi. I'm not talking image quality. Just the LCD screen representation of whites and skin tones.
I wish there was a way to calibratie the screen like a computer monitor.
Nobody though of it yet? Whoever does it first, the rest will follow

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
clicstudio said:
instaimage said:
I think you need to have Canon take a look, I have three 1DX2's and in every way, they're all better than my previous 4 1DX's...
Hi. I'm not talking image quality. Just the LCD screen representation of whites and skin tones.

Are you shooting RAW or JPEGs?

Upvote 0
J.R. said:
clicstudio said:
instaimage said:

RAW only. No JPG

Upvote 0
clicstudio said:
J.R. said:
clicstudio said:
instaimage said:

RAW only. No JPG

Are you using a picture style? Picture style would affect the embedded jpg in the RAW but non-Canon image programs ignore this, which could explain the difference between the LCD and what you get on the computer.

Upvote 0
Random Orbits said:
clicstudio said:
J.R. said:
clicstudio said:
instaimage said:

RAW only. No JPG

Are you using a picture style? Picture style would affect the embedded jpg in the RAW but non-Canon image programs ignore this, which could explain the difference between the LCD and what you get on the computer.
I am not talking about what I see on the computer. ONLY about what is displayed on the LCD screen.
I see an image of a photo I just took and it looks nothing like what I see in front of me. I have tried every white balance setting to at least get something close to reality on the screen but nothing works. :-[

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
clicstudio said:
Random Orbits said:
clicstudio said:
J.R. said:
clicstudio said:
instaimage said:

RAW only. No JPG

I am not talking about what I see on the computer. ONLY about what is displayed on the LCD screen.
I see an image of a photo I just took and it looks nothing like what I see in front of me. I have tried every white balance setting to at least get something close to reality on the screen but nothing works. :-[

That exactly is the point. Try shooting JPG and loading it on your computer. If the JPG looks OK on the screen but bad on the LCD, you will need to send the camera back to Canon for the LCD to be calibrated - Otherwise it is a picture style issue.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no DIY method for calibrating the LCD.

Upvote 0

Warrenl

CR Pro
Jul 15, 2012
I agree there is major issue with the LCD on the 1DX 11. I am surprised it has not been discussed more...

For me it is a yellow-green shift that is very noticeable. I used to be able to judge my white balance on my 1Dx, but the version 2 is totally different. If you view the same image on the DX and DX2 the color shift is very noticeable.

I took my 1DX 11 to Canon Canada for checking, but they say it "seems to be working within Canon spec.".

Well Canon Spec is not the same as Canon spec on the 1DX, or 5D....

Upvote 0
Warrenl said:
I agree there is major issue with the LCD on the 1DX 11. I am surprised it has not been discussed more...

For me it is a yellow-green shift that is very noticeable. I used to be able to judge my white balance on my 1Dx, but the version 2 is totally different. If you view the same image on the DX and DX2 the color shift is very noticeable.

I took my 1DX 11 to Canon Canada for checking, but they say it "seems to be working within Canon spec.".

Exactly what I see. I will try some jpgs. Maybe the raw files are not being processed in camera so they look off. Live view seems to be more accurate. The problem seems to be with the reviewed image. I will try raw+jpg maybe the LCD will choose the color accurate jpg for display over the raw. I got a 64GB Cfast card so I have plenty of room for pairs and more. Maybe the people at magic Lantern could hack an lcd calibration. I think canon owes us. An accurate representation of a photo is critical. My old 1DX was off but not this bad.

Upvote 0
I started a thread on Magic Lantern requesting a hack for the LCD calibration.
In the meantime I found a stupid way to "calibrate" the LCD for viewing. Basically, you have to change your color temp WB in K. I found that 5000 is pretty ok for Flash WB. Since I am shooting RAW only, It doesn't matter what the WB is, it will be tweaked later.
This is actually ridiculous. Canon should be ashamed. This is a Pro camera!
None of the reviews mention this either. What are people looking at? Nobody notices?
:mad:

Upvote 0
clicstudio said:
Warrenl said:

Exactly what I see. I will try some jpgs. Maybe the raw files are not being processed in camera so they look off. Live view seems to be more accurate. The problem seems to be with the reviewed image. I will try raw+jpg maybe the LCD will choose the color accurate jpg for display over the raw. I got a 64GB Cfast card so I have plenty of room for pairs and more. Maybe the people at magic Lantern could hack an lcd calibration. I think canon owes us. An accurate representation of a photo is critical. My old 1DX was off but not this bad.

When you shoot raw, the view on the lcd is a jpg view fully processed with in camera settings. You need to compare what it looks like raw and jpg on the computer screen. That one has bitten me in the past. I use minimal process settings in camera.

Upvote 0
clicstudio said:
The old 1DX LCD white balance representation was off but this one is waaaaaay different. Skin tones look bluer and duller than they really are. I tried shooting in Auto WB or even Flash or anything and I can't really see which one is more accurate.

I have the same problem. LCD are very color different - 1DX2 is too warm/yellow apart from 1DX.

The worse is that even output from 1DX and 1dX II is different - even x-rite passport profiles are not helping.

Upvote 0

mkamelg

EOS R6 Mark II
Feb 1, 2015
Poland
www.flickr.com
LCD monitor Color Tone

Firmware v. 1.1 for the EOS-1D X Mark II adds another requested feature — the ability to make subtle changes to the LCD monitor’s color tone. Four pre-set choices allow the photographer to use the factory-default setting, warm the display’s color rendition slightly, or cool it slightly (add a bit of a bluish tint), in two stages.

Two potential applications: one would be to allow users working with EOS-1D X Mark II cameras along with other Canon EOS bodies to more closely match the “look” of playback images and video on other EOS cameras. (Keep in mind that as of late August 2016, the only other EOS model with adjustable color tone for the LCD monitor is the new EOS 5D Mark IV camera.)

In general, to match the display of cameras like the previous EOS-1D X or EOS 5D Mark III, you may want to try the Cool Tone 1 or Cool Tone 2 settings.

And the other might be to accommodate slight viewing changes to the LCD monitor, from differing ambient light conditions.

While it probably goes without saying, we’ll reinforce it here — this adjustment to the LCD monitor’s color tone has nothing to do with the White Balance or other settings of actual image and video files, and does not in any way change any files in-camera. It simply adjusts the look of the monitor screen they’re being viewed on.

Source: http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/eos1dx-markii-firmware-update.shtml#showAll

The firmware is not yet availble for download on Canon USA's website.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.