1Dx multi controller not responsive when selecting AF point

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard Lane

Yes, my multi-controller seems to stick a little too. Sometimes it wouldn't move to the next AF point until I hit it over 2-3 times which is causing me to jerk the camera (not a good thing), but then it moves.

I will say that the 1DX multi-controller seems to be improving slowly over time, so perhaps it just needs some more time to break in. I would recommend just moving the points up and down and in a circle clockwise and counter-clockwise to assist in breaking it in more and loosening up the weather-sealing. This seems to be helping mine. You really need to push the controller more sideways, which I'm finding a little hard to get a good grip on it because it is so stubby and I must have short thumbs. My MKIV is much more responsive (broken in nicely) and it has more of raised lip to it, which makes it easier to feel and move.

As far as Neuro's question, for me the landscape multi-controller seems to be more of a problem compared to the vertical multi-controller, but some of that may be that the vertical multi-controller is closer to the edge and I'm getting a better grip on it. No Pun intended! :D

Rich

Upvote 0
R

Richard Lane

hammy said:
The vertical multi-controller joystick seems to work really well compared to the horizontal controller. I wonder why one works better than the other. i hope it's not a defect. Just got the camera 1 day ago and have been testing it out to see if it's just my camera that has the problem. Thanks for the reply.

I think the vertical one is mounted in a better position, and it's in a more level position, and it's also mounted closer to the edge of the camera.

The horizontal controller appears to be mounted on a slight angle if you view it from the side, and it's also farther away from the edge, so for me at least it's harder to get a good grip on it. However, sometimes I feel like I'm right on it and it still doesn't respond. I'll also have to see if it breaks in a little over time.

Personally, I feel that the 7D and MKIV multi-controllers are way easier to manipulate, than this stubby little controller.

Upvote 0
R

Richard Lane

To the people having difficulty with the Multi-controller. How long have you had your camera?

I have mine about 10 days, and I feel that it is starting to improve slowly.

The other thing I wanted to point out is that:

With the 1DMKIV, the viewfinder and AF point turn off together after about 7-8 seconds:

1) all you had to do, to wake up the AF points was to press the center of the multi-controller, then select your AF position with the multi-controller while your thumb is already on that button (Mutli-Controller Button) "thumb"
2) then shoot (Shutter Button) "index finger"

With the 1DX, after the viewfinder lights turn off, and the AF point stays on but is inactive.

1) you have to first press the shutter button to wake up the viewfinder and AF points (Shutter Button) "thumb"
2) then choose the AF point (Multi-Controller Button) "index finger"
3) then shoot (Shutter Button) "thumb"

I use AF-On back button to focus, so I start my shooting sequence in this order; AF point selection (thumb), focusing (thumb), shutter button (index finger).

I don't start with half-press shutter button (index finger) to activate VF and AF point activation, then select AF point with mutlti-controller (thumb), focusing (thumb), then back to shutter button for firing (index finger).

I'm finding this change quite annoying and I'm not sure why Canon changed this as an extra button press for the 1D series?

It's really messing me up. I continuously change the AF point position as I'm following the action and tracking a subject to pick the best composition. Sometimes there may be a pause in the action for 10 seconds and now I have to press the shutter button to activate the VF and AF point display, prior to selecting my new AF point position for composition and then it sometimes sticks, compared to the MKIV. :eek:

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Also to others having difficulty with the Multi-controller. If it gets a little stuck and 8 seconds goes by, or you haven't touched a setting for 8 seconds, you first must hit the shutter button to wake up the VF and AF points and some of the "initial" non-responsiveness may be due to the inactive AF point as the display is asleep.

Rich

EDITED: You may also press the AF-On Button to wake up the VF and AF point on the 7D, MKIV and 1DX. So, only the MKIV can additionally wake up the VF and AF point with the Multi-controller. Perhaps this feature can be added to the 7D and 1DX with a firmware update.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Richard Lane said:
To the people having having difficulty with the Multi-controller. How long have you had your camera?

I have mine about 10 days, and I feel that it is starting to improve slowly.

The other thing I wanted to point out is that:

With the 1DMKIV, the viewfinder and AF point turn off together after about 7-8 seconds:

1) all you had to do to wake up the AF points was to press the center of the multi-controller, then select your AF position with the multi-controller while your thumb is already on that button (Mutli-Controller Button) "thumb"
2) then shoot (Shutter Button) "index finger"

With the 1DX, after the viewfinder lights turn off, and the AF point stays on but is inactive.

1) you have to first press the shutter button to wake it up the viewfinder and AF points (Shutter Button) "thumb"
2) then choose the AF point (Multi-Controller Button) "index finger"
3) then shoot (Shutter Button) "thumb"

I use AF-On back button to focus, so I start my shooting sequence in this order; AF point selection (thumb), focusing (thumb), shutter button (index finger).

I don't start with half-press shutter button (index finger) to activate VF and AF point activation, then select AF point with mutlti-controller (thumb), then back to shutter button for firing (index finger).

I'm finding this change quite annoying and I'm not sure why Canon changed this as an extra button press for the 1D series?

It's really messing me up. I continuously change the AF point position as I'm following the action and tracking a subject to pick the best composition. Sometimes there may be a pause in the action for 10 seconds and now I have to press the shutter button to activate the VF and AF point display, prior to selecting my new AF point position for composition and then it sometimes sticks, compared to the MKIV. :eek:

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Also to others having difficulty with the Multi-controller. If it gets a little stuck and 8 seconds goes by, or you haven't touched a setting for 8 seconds, you first must hit the shutter button to wake up the VF and AF points and some of the "initial" non-responsiveness may be due to the inactive AF point as the display is asleep.

Rich

That's good to know, I always used the 1d4 as you described, but have my 5d3 set up a bit different so I haven't really noticed this, but still annoyed over the wakeup time...

Upvote 0
R

Richard Lane

Thanks John (Neuro), but I do have my custom screen set to multi-controller AF point selection, that's not the issue.

With the 1DX, what is happening is that the VF screen, which also shows the AF points goes to sleep after about 8 seconds. Keep in mind that you can still see where the AF point is in the VF, even when it's asleep. However, that AF point is actually "not active" and will not move until you wake it up with a Half-Press of the shutter button.

With the MKIV, I used to be able to wake up the VF and AF point by pressing the multi-controller, so since my thumb was now already on the multi-controller, I could just move the Multi-controller which moves the AF point in one swift motion, but now on the 1DX I have to first do a half-press of the shutter button to wake up the VF and AF point, and then after that I can choose my AF point with the mutli-controller since they are now awake.

So, it's an extra step, and it's going against my instincts, which I used to do quickly without thinking.

I was also wondering if some people feel that the AF point is not responding, because even though you can see the AF point in the VF, it is asleep until the half-shutter press, but like others, mine was also sticking a bit and now it seems to be loosening up a little.

Rich

Upvote 0
R

Richard Lane

Maybe.., because the 7D reacts the same as the 1DX in this situation, but if a half-shutter press can wake up the VF and AF points, then I think Canon should also be able to wake up the VF and AF points via a single press of the Multi-controller in the 1DX.

I appreciated the one-less step when I went from the 7D to MKIV, but I thought it was a little odd to have the extra step when going from the 1DMKIV to 1DX.

I can certainly live it with it, but when I'm shooting one game with the MKIV and 1DX it should be interesting. I do think it would be easy to add this capability to the 1DX with a firmware update, especially if it also bothers other people, who will be using both cameras.

Upvote 0
R

Richard Lane

The scenario where I noticed that the multi-controller wouldn't wake up the VF was yesterday. I was waiting for a bird to take off, and I locked focus on the bird with the AF-On button, then 8 seconds went by and I had my thumb on the multi-controller to better compose the bird in flight (since I didn't know which direction it was going to take off in) and to allow it room to fly into the frame. So now the bird takes off and when I go to move the AF point with the multi-controller, nothing happened because the VF was asleep and I couldn't move the AF point. I guess there will be a learning curve with any new body.

I just discovered another option. The 7D, MKIV, and 1DX can also wake up the VF and AF points by pressing the "AF-ON button," as well as the half-shutter press. I didn't realize that yesterday when I was shooting, but I did just notice this now in my living-room. So, this will be my way of doing it from now on, but it's still an extra step compared to also being able to wake up the VF and AF points with the multi-controller on the MKIV.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.