1DX video lines of resolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff Gibbs

I have used half a dozen canon DLSR and video cameras for documentary production over the years including the 5d Mark II and 7d. I currently use a hacked GH2 and a canon XF300 primarily. Reason: lines of resolution. When shooting anything wide in which it is important to see the detail--trees, landscapes, etc. the lines of actual resolution on the 5d is not so hot, and the 7d is worse 1080p or no. Its been well documented elsewhere that even the 5D II has only has about 500 lines of video resolution and though the image can be absolutely stunning even my old HDV cameras do better. So here is my question: is the 1DX, or the 5d Mark III, going to resolve far more actual detail then the 5d and 7d for video? If yes, they have a monster on their hands and I will go that route. If not that would be disappointing. I am concerned taht the footage posted of the new D4 looks like no improvement at all in resolution in video mode for DSLRs. In fact it looks like a poor second or third to the GH2 or even the GH1 hacked. If you are shooting a youtube video no worries, but movie goers are now expecting full HD resolution not just 1080 in name only. In fact the early videos trumpeting the 5d for cinema mixed in time lapse with the video often without noting that the stunning landscapes were not produced with the video mode. Anyone with any information on the actual lines of resolution the 1DX has would be greatly appreciated. It's a huge issue for anyone hoping or planning to show their work on the big screen.

Mar 25, 2011
The camera firmware is in beta mode, thhere are no production cameras out there, period. Until there are, there is really no answer to your question.

However, I doubt that video resolution will see much improvement, a better codec and less rolling shutter seem to be the main difference. I think that we will see Canon differentiate HDDSLR's from their Cine models that will be optomized for cinema work, while HDDSLR's will be aimed at PJ's and wedding professionals.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.