50D & SX1 Replacements Next Week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gkreis

Re: 50D & SX1 Replacements Next Week?

unfocused said:
How would the market react on a 60D with 10mp?

That's easy. Sales would drop through the floor.

Nikon is going to a 16mp sensor on the D95. Canon isn't going to put a completely new sensor in the 60D (especially one that most consumers would view as being less desirable than the Nikon's). That's not the niche the camera is meant to fill. They can use their 18mp Rebel/7D sensor and still stay ahead of Nikon in the Great Pixel Race.

10mp would be a mistake, but I think many would be happy to see 14-15mp if it meant 2 stops better performance than the 40D. The 50D's 15mp was a good upper limit for APS-C sized sensor but its high ISO was a let down...

There is physics that argues against too high of a density. Densities like those of the G11 would NOT BE GOOD.

Upvote 0

MadButcher said:
Same resolution as the 40D but with the sensor-technology of the 5D II or 1D IV.
For example native max. ISO of 6400.
And also ISO 50 option.
Lots and lots of magazine covers have been shot with 12mp Nikons, I use my Canon 40D to shoot advertising. If Canon made a pro spec 12mp APS-C camera in a xxD body I'd by it!!!

From Fashion Photographer Benjamin Kanarek's blog http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2009/06/18/pixel-peeping-anal-about-number-pixels/ "In fact my last shoot I did with the Pentax K20D was over kill considering the size of the support i.e. about 8×10 inches. In fact I had to reduce the image size to get down to 300 dpi for Pre Press. I would have been quite comfortable with a 8-10 mega pixel DSLR. The only grain I see when published with a 10 mega pixel camera in double page landscape format is the “tram” grain of the printing press of around 133 dpi."

Upvote 0
W

Waleed Essam

MadButcher said:
Same resolution as the 40D but with the sensor-technology of the 5D II or 1D IV.
For example native max. ISO of 6400.
And also ISO 50 option.

And as mentioned in the previous post pixel-binning for anti-aliasing of video.

Hmm... 10 mpix will be too low for the market. They don't really need to lower the pixels that much. I'm sure they can keep it at 15-16 and still have a one stop hi-iso quality improvement over the 7D. Keep in mind the 7D is over a year old now, and I'm sure new technologies were implemented to decrease the noise even if they still keep it 18mpix. And if they want to make a new technology sensor.

Upvote 0
H

hoktar

unfocused said:
18 mpx folks. That's the current gen sensor.

Yes! Justin, thanks for adding some sanity to this discussion.
Absolutely...
This mpix discussion is so ridiculous. What the hell do they expect, 18mpix is state of the art, why should they suddenly reduce it? And even more, why for the xxD which is a consumer/prosumer cam..
How can ppl. even think about that?

Besides there are way more ppl who want more mpix than who want less.
(Thank God..)

@ release date, why are there alyways these funny dates (like August 11.), who believes that? By now it should be obvious for everyone that they announce the new cameras at photokina.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010

Looks like the never ending "more Mp, less Mp" discussion has been started again and again. Both sides have a good argument. It all boil down to "less Mp is for real photographers and More Mp is for Real technies" Given a choice, I really doubt that Canon will drop the MP. there is more technies than photographers. Also 'I am bigger than you" is always a good marketing tool. Just look at the fact: Canon has been teaming the 18-55mm lens with the 18Mp bodies. How much more mismatch can this be??? But they do sell like hot cakes and Canon is making a lot of money on it.

Upvote 0

hoktar said:
This mpix discussion is so ridiculous. What the hell do they expect, 18mpix is state of the art, why should they suddenly reduce it? And even more, why for the xxD which is a consumer/prosumer cam..
How can ppl. even think about that?
Why indeed. Same reason they reduced the G10 15MP state-of-the-art to 10MP in the G11 maybe ? Here's an interesting read for you.

Personally I love/hate the 18MP APS-C of my 7D (would be 46MP FF). Great resolution but only at 100 ISO (gets noisy fast at higher ISOs), mkII L glass (great sensor to image glass limits..), and f/6.3 or less (losing resolution fast at higher f's). If I need image quality I'm quick using my 5DII instead, 21MP are quite usable on FF (same density on APS-C would be 8MP !)

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010

"This mpix discussion is so ridiculous. What the hell do they expect, 18mpix is state of the art, why should they suddenly reduce it? And even more, why for the xxD which is a consumer/prosumer cam..
How can ppl. even think about that?"

This is a typical technie mentality. more is better, newest is also better. 18MP sensor may be state of art (in the Fab processing). That does not mean is best for the picture quality as mentioned in various web site and test sites.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors said:
<p><strong>…. A Canon rep said

<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">The August 11 announcement date is brought up again. This time from a Canon Rep in the southern hemisphere.</span></strong></p>
<p><em>“The 50D and SX1 replacements will be announced next week.” </em></p>
<p><strong>S90
</span>r

</strong></p>

Well today is the 11th of August. Lets see if this is true or whats seems to be a re-occuring theme recently that its yet another bogus date/info pulled out of the air and mixed with a little fluff to pad it out and make it seem real....but I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.