Two Announcement Days From Canon Next Week? [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that Canon will have product announcements on June 27, 2017 as well as the EOS 6D Mark II and perhaps the EOS Rebel SL2 on June 29, 2017.  Something may have been lost in translation on the announcement dates, but all of the following products will be announced next week.</p>
<ul>
<li>We’re told a “low end” EOS M camera is coming on Tuesday, logic would suggest it’ll be a replacement for the EOS M10.</li>
<li>The Canon EOS Rebel SL2, which will have the 24mp APS-C sensor, DIGIC 7 and other evolutionary upgrades over the EOS Rebel SL1. There won’t be anything surprising in this release.</li>
<li>The Canon EOS 6D Mark II, which has mostly leaked and is receiving a pretty positive response.</li>
</ul>
<p>We don’t hear much about PowerShot cameras, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we get at least one announced next week. Don’t hold me to it though.</p>
<p>We still don’t have an announcement date for the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS, but we sure hope it’s soon.</p>
<p>This post may update after further clarification on the announcement day(s).</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>

Dec 11, 2015
LonelyBoy said:
It seems weird to have product announcements two days apart instead of putting everything out at once; does any company announce similar products separated by two days? I can't think of it happening.

And given the threads here, it's funny to read about the 6D2 "receiving a pretty positive response". ;)

Actually there is a thread somewhere on this form about "how to pre-order a 6dm2"... So I guess it's quite positive indeed! :)

Upvote 0
Jopa said:
LonelyBoy said:
It seems weird to have product announcements two days apart instead of putting everything out at once; does any company announce similar products separated by two days? I can't think of it happening.

And given the threads here, it's funny to read about the 6D2 "receiving a pretty positive response". ;)

Actually there is a thread somewhere on this form about "how to pre-order a 6dm2"... So I guess it's quite positive indeed! :)

The only spec I'm not personally thrilled about is the lack of 4K. I was considering it as a second 4K camera for my channel. It has the better body for video work with the articulating screen, but a lack of 4k is frustrating.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that Canon will have product announcements on June 27, 2017 as well as the EOS 6D Mark II and perhaps the EOS Rebel SL2 on June 29, 2017. Something may have been lost in translation on the announcement dates, but all of the following products will be announced next week.

could they simply be mixing up timezones.

I could see the M20 and SL2 announced at another time though, especially because we haven't see diddly with them and they may want to launch the 6D on it's own day.

this is the last big hurrrah for canon for the rest of the year of "off photokina" years have any bearing.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Jopa said:
LonelyBoy said:

The only spec I'm not personally thrilled about is the lack of 4K. I was considering it as a second 4K camera for my channel. It has the better body for video work with the articulating screen, but a lack of 4k is frustrating.
Same here Dustin. I wanted it to be the B-camera of my 1DX II.
It is the first time Canon disappointed me and I have been with them for more than 27 years now.
I simply don't see the justification regardless of what others are saying. Following the path of where multimedia goes that would be the right move, at least in my mind.
Maybe the 5-axis stabilization cools things out.

Upvote 0
Besisika said:
It is the first time Canon disappointed me and I have been with them for more than 27 years now.
I simply don't see the justification regardless of what others are saying. Following the path of where multimedia goes that would be the right move, at least in my mind.

I think you were both wildly, unrealistically optimistic about the chances that Canon was going to release a budget FF 4k video rig. Which, of note, no one else has released either, for all of the supposed ease of building such a thing. This is why everyone (*not really everyone, just a vocal few) is so thirsty for a budget FF 4k video rig. This was never intended to be that and hoping for it was just setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Upvote 0
LonelyBoy said:
Besisika said:

I think you were both wildly, unrealistically optimistic about the chances that Canon was going to release a budget FF 4k video rig. Which, of note, no one else has released either, for all of the supposed ease of building such a thing. This is why everyone (*not really everyone, just a vocal few) is so thirsty for a budget FF 4k video rig. This was never intended to be that and hoping for it was just setting yourselves up for disappointment.

First post here, but I've been having a look over the last year or so at the 5dmk4 and new 6d rumors.
4k being omitted was disappointing on this end, not that I think I would use it all the time, but because I was hoping Canon would be the first to introduce it into the entry level ff rigs, rather than playing catch up in 2020 or whenever.

The tiltscreen was expected, dual cards were hoped for but not all that surprising that it retains the single. Even when 2.7 or 3k video would have been nice with the tiltscreen, maybe there's a surprise waiting in the actual launch..

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Isaacheus said:
LonelyBoy said:
Besisika said:

First post here, but I've been having a look over the last year or so at the 5dmk4 and new 6d rumors.
4k being omitted was disappointing on this end, not that I think I would use it all the time, but because I was hoping Canon would be the first to introduce it into the entry level ff rigs, rather than playing catch up in 2020 or whenever.

The tiltscreen was expected, dual cards were hoped for but not all that surprising that it retains the single. Even when 2.7 or 3k video would have been nice with the tiltscreen, maybe there's a surprise waiting in the actual launch..

Welcome to the forum!

I was hoping for 2.7K video too, but with the 5axis video IS built into the camera, I no longer have o shoot at 2.7K, stabilize in post, and crop to 2K... this should save me some time in my workflow and save a bit of HD space....

Upvote 0
Isaacheus said:
LonelyBoy said:
Besisika said:

I mean, I'm sorry you're disappointed - I know what it's like to want a product that nobody makes. But I don't think FF 4k for $2k is going to happen this year. Maybe not next year, or not well, and given that this is primarily a stills camera (and sensor aside, not a high-end one), Canon wasn't going to delay it indefinitely until they could roll 4k into the price. It sucks for those who wanted it, but that's how it is sometimes.

No one makes my perfect laptop, and the really frustrating thing is there's no technical reason they can't.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
blackcoffee17 said:
Is it me of Canon is REALLY slow releasing lenses lately? Two lenses only the whole year and one of them is a 18-55 kit lens?
Sigma, Tamron and even Sony releasing tons of new and interesting lenses.
Where are the updates for the 300, 400mm primes, 50mm 1.4? Some of these lenses are over 25 years old.

This year, yes: they are running light year to date.

http://www.eflens.com/lens_articles/canon_lens_date_codes.html#history_of_EF_lenses

Keep in mind that when you are so massive as the EF portfolio, you aren't in a big hurry to churn new things out like Sony is doing. You might divert a nontrivial portion of your resources to a new camera line or to pull cost / variability out of existing production products.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
LonelyBoy said:
I mean, I'm sorry you're disappointed - I know what it's like to want a product that nobody makes. But I don't think FF 4k for $2k is going to happen this year. Maybe not next year, or not well, and given that this is primarily a stills camera (and sensor aside, not a high-end one), Canon wasn't going to delay it indefinitely until they could roll 4k into the price. It sucks for those who wanted it, but that's how it is sometimes.

No one makes my perfect laptop, and the really frustrating thing is there's no technical reason they can't.

I hear you and I largely agree with you. But Canon's high margins expectations plus their belief that the market leader doesn't have to give the kitchen sink away to get a sale [cough D750] might mean that Canon will probably be last to the party with 4K at many market position levels (7D, XXD, XXXD, etc.).

Consider: I wouldn't be surprised at all if a Nikon D620 or D760, Sony A7 III or Pentax K-2 rolls out with 4K onboard for $2k in the next year. It may not flawless from a specifics perspective (crop, quality, etc.), but surely one of them will try to pull it off.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
LonelyBoy said:

I hear you and I largely agree with you. But Canon's high margins expectations plus their belief that the market leader doesn't have to give the kitchen sink away to get a sale [cough D750] might mean that Canon will probably be last to the party with 4K at many market position levels (7D, XXD, XXXD, etc.).

Consider: I wouldn't be surprised at all if a Nikon D620 or D760, Sony A7 III or Pentax K-2 rolls out with 4K onboard for $2k in the next year. It may not flawless from a specifics perspective (crop, quality, etc.), but surely one of them will try to pull it off.

- A

I do believe they will be the last to market with 4k, They're a conservative company with a determination to include a high degree of polish and stability on their features. Much like Toyota, which always has weaker engines than the competition because they value reliability and durability more than, say, Nissan.

Upvote 0
LonelyBoy said:
Isaacheus said:
LonelyBoy said:
Besisika said:

Haha, don't get me wrong, the other specs are looking like a nice improvement over the original, so there's a very real possibility I'll get it as an upgrade. I was just looking for those extra features that meant I knew it would keep me covered in ability longer into the future if I get into more video.

A 5dmk4 with a tilt screen would have been close to the perfect machine for me really

Upvote 0
I for one don't YET see ample reason to upgrade my 6D to the 6D2. I am waiting on the dynamic range thing and getting more and more worried because dynamic range has not been mentioned lately as more solid information on the 6D2 is becoming available. If it is not on par with 5D4 it will be a FAIL for this photographer. I've long been planning to upgrade my 6D to a body with better dynamic range, and all of my glass to 3rd party (ART series and others). So it makes no difference to me whether the lens mount is Nikon or Canon; I will purchase the best body I can afford and then get the lenses I want. The best body I can afford may well be a used D800!

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Andreos said:
I for one don't YET see ample reason to upgrade my 6D to the 6D2. I am waiting on the dynamic range thing and getting more and more worried because dynamic range has not been mentioned lately as more solid information on the 6D2 is becoming available. If it is not on par with 5D4 it will be a FAIL for this photographer. I've long been planning to upgrade my 6D to a body with better dynamic range, and all of my glass to 3rd party (ART series and others). So it makes no difference to me whether the lens mount is Nikon or Canon; I will purchase the best body I can afford and then get the lenses I want. The best body I can afford may well be a used D800!

All indicators are that it would be 5D4-level from a DR perspective, but we obviously won't know until after launch and units get tested.

- A

Upvote 0
blackcoffee17 said:
Is it me of Canon is REALLY slow releasing lenses lately? Two lenses only the whole year and one of them is a 18-55 kit lens?
Sigma, Tamron and even Sony releasing tons of new and interesting lenses.
Where are the updates for the 300, 400mm primes, 50mm 1.4? Some of these lenses are over 25 years old.

It's not just you. I can demonstrate it with a spreadsheet. Was curious about this myself some weeks ago, and I compiled these comparisons of Canon versus Sigma. One graph is of novel lenses introduced (such as the 14 f/1.8) and the other is of new or refreshed pro lenses. I included L and Art lenses, not kit/consumer stuff. You can see that in the last five years, 2017 inclusive, Canon has been inventing some cool stuff, but it's not making its way into their lens line-up generally.

The 50mm 1.4/1.2 is really a mystery. The demand is enormous, we know Canon can produce it. I am starting to think it's just to spite AHSanford. My guess is that they had a pretty good 50 about to come out a couple years ago, but it was just slightly demonstrably worse than the Sigma Art 50mm, so they went back to engineering. I do not think it credible that they believe their current 50mm lineup is on par with the competition.

Here's hoping there's a big lump in the pipeline, and we'll be showered with lens updates. -tig

Attachments

• New Pro Lenses.png
    New Pro Lenses.png
    508.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Novel Pro Lenses.png
    Novel Pro Lenses.png
    404.8 KB · Views: 179
Upvote 0