Canon Gear Being Announced in the Next 24 Hours

I really do feel that many of us will be making our first foray into full frame(as will I). In looking at these specs, this is a great starter camera for this. The 4k thing is silliness. Who knows if the Magic Lantern folks will make it possible like they did it on the Mark III.

Canon Marketed this camera as entry level to full frame. That is all it is. I also have a tough time trusting the reliability of other brands. I also feel that when Canon goes full-frame mirrorless(its going to happen) there could potentially be an exodus of sorts to the Canon brand. In general, I personally feel canon proves itself with reliability and usability. They are the market leader for a reason.

After looking at all the brands, including Nikon and Sony I wanted a camera that could last for years. There are things many first time users of full-frame may care less about. This could potentially include dynamic range, video(1080p60 is fine for me If i want to use 4k I have a gopro for that). This camera has some professional grade features which is great. It takes time to learn how to fully use all the features in a new camera. Many of us jumping to full frame would be more than happy with the feature set.

I for one, have a big problem with the small size of the mirrorless cameras. It looks downright silly to attach a 70-200 to a sony a7rii with metabones. I have bigger hands, so I want the extra size and weight. It just feels more solid to me.

Upvote 0

rwvaughn

Live in the moment.
Mar 22, 2016
Southern Indiana, USA
djack41 said:
Poor Canon. It announces small upgrades while Sony and Fuji leap forward with cutting edge cameras like the A9 and the GFX. Nikon is about to celebrate its 100th birthday so expect big product releases in July. Wake up Canon!

Yes indeed poor Canon. Rolling in the dough and stuffing their bank account with all the gear they are selling. Sony and Fuji aren't really competing against anything Canon sells and Canon isn't worried. The A9 hasn't yet put even a small dent in Canon's sales and the GFX is such a specialized use camera that it's release was a yawn to Canon. It's only 2 days until July arrives and since it's Nikon's anniversary year one would think that by now a few leaks and teasers would have surfaced about 100th anniversary offerings. It's rather quiet on the Nikon front other than the ravings of a few YouTube personalities who keep the hype going about the anniversary. Nikon is almost certain to update the D810 this year and whether it be called the D820 or the D850 doesn't matter the point is Nikon, like Canon, updates on a regular cycle. I doubt it will be anything special - the anniversary not making much of a difference.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
testthewest said:
As for the Canon 6D II I am somewhat unsure if getting any of the kits is a good idea.
Those offered lenses all got a somewhat lukewarm response. So what would you get if you'd want the 6DII with a versatile zoom lens as a start into the full frame world?

I'd likely pick up a white box/gray market 24-105/4L MkI, they're available for ~$600 (same cost as the non-L in the kit, better build and IQ).

Upvote 0
testthewest said:
As for the Canon 6D II I am somewhat unsure if getting any of the kits is a good idea.
Those offered lenses all got a somewhat lukewarm response. So what would you get if you'd want the 6DII with a versatile zoom lens as a start into the full frame world?

Depends on what you need but the 24-70mm f/4L IS is a great lens. It's pretty sharp and has a macro mode which is not that bad. The 24-105mm f/4L II IS on the other hand seems to be not that good. First of all it is not really an improvement from the previous lens and secondly it is not that sharp.

Upvote 0

foo

Sep 10, 2016
rangersrul said:
Who knows if the Magic Lantern folks will make it possible like they did it on the Mark III.

So far the ML folks don't have anything beyond the test bootloader for anything using Digic 6, let alone Digic 7. Reading their forums suggests this is partially due to none of their core developers having a D6 based camera yet.

Pinning your hopes on ML for a D6 or D7 camera seems likely to lead to a long wait. Never say Never and all that, but I'm not going to be holding my breath.....

Upvote 0
Eggsplorer said:
testthewest said:

Depends on what you need but the 24-70mm f/4L IS is a great lens. It's pretty sharp and has a macro mode which is not that bad. The 24-105mm f/4L II IS on the other hand seems to be not that good. First of all it is not really an improvement from the previous lens and secondly it is not that sharp.

I agree regarding the kits. It really doesn't provide a "discount" If you already have EF glass... might as well run with that for the time being and be pleasantly surprised when you finally upgrade to L glass or another off brand such as Tamron.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
testthewest said:

If you shoot an longer FL multiple zoom on crop today (18-135, 15-85, etc.), grabbing one of the 24-105 options is the better call, as a 24-70 zoom will handcuff you zoom-wise.

If you don't -- if reach is not a #1 or #2 for you in a standard zoom -- get the 24-70 f/4L IS all day. Sharper + lighter + macro wins out over reach with me.

In either case, get a Canon refurb instead of a new or kitted lens and save yourself some bucks.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
3catsinky said:
why are any of you in such a hurry to pre order a camera that is essentially a beginner's camera? It certainly isn't going to be sold out anywhere anytime soon. In such a hurry to pre order two year old tech from Canon.

Indeed. By the way, how'd the NX-1 work out for you? Are you looking forward to it's cutting edge, high-tech successor? Oh, wait... Well, nevermind, you've probably already switched to Sony. Why are you here? Oh yes, to troll. Good then...

bf17ea1b8aa857778138b91de51b96a0--sprays-funny-pics.jpg

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
3catsinky said:
why are any of you in such a hurry to pre order a camera that is essentially a beginner's camera? It certainly isn't going to be sold out anywhere anytime soon. In such a hurry to pre order two year old tech from Canon.

This is the 2nd time I've heard "beginner" or "starter" camera. Why/Who truly thinks this? The sensor will probably be as good or better then anything that existed just a few short years ago from a pure IQ standpoint. And the AF system is in a similar category. It wasn't that long ago you needed a 1D body to get something with this many focus points (and even then they were rarely all cross type). Not to mention the CPU power...

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
3catsinky said:
Beginner's camera? Let's think about those poor cretins buying my images and paying this "beginner" -- suckers! {fwiw, after 60 years of shooting, I do still feel like a beginner because I always wish to improve}
Does the 6D do everything perfectly? NO! I wouldn't do weddings without dual card slots even though no card ever failed for me. I wouldn't shoot sports with such a slow continuous rate.
What the 6D does: it delivers outstanding images in almost any conditions IF the user THINKS first. The 6D-II will probably do even better. The 6D is horrible if you NEED lots of AF points. {I usually need one} The 6D-II will be great with 45.
But life marches on and yesterday's pro gear gets replaced by even better image gathering technology. Bells & whistles aside, IQ is what matters.
As I replace my 6D with a 6D-II, some lucky "beginner" can buy a great FF image grabber at the price of a so-so, feature rich, cropped sensor camera.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
unfocused said:
Unsolicited advice for those considering pre-orders.

Take some time to explore financing options, even if you have the cash on hand.

You will be paying an early-adopters premium, so you might as well explore using other people's money to ease the cash flow and save a few bucks. Most of the large retailers have some type of interest-free for six to 12 months plan. (Usually through Pay Pal, but some are in-house). As long as you have the discipline to pay it off before the promotional period is over, you will have the use of your money longer, won't need to deplete savings and it won't cost you anything more. (Be sure to read and understand the terms, of course).

I bought a 1DX II last year. Had it paid off in eight months with no interest paid and was able to avoid tapping into about half of the money I had put aside for the purchase (by paying out of cash flow).

I know others on this forum are absolutely dead set against financing purchases. It's a personal decision. But, if you are adult enough to order a $2,000 camera, you should be adult enough to drink borrow responsibly.

While I appreciate your sentiment I need to respectively disagree.

First off in this day and age that money isn't doing anything for you sitting in the bank. The risk free lending rate has been virtually zero for the past decade. So delaying paying for your purchase is not really beneficial from a financial perspective.

Second, at least in the good ol' USA the average person could be a bit more conservative with their money (we love to finance everything and live well beyond our means). Exploring these interest free deals are usually setup so that X number of folks will slip up and end up paying a ton of interest (The financing institutions play the odds). Years ago I saw a zero interest deal that required a monthly $10 payment or something silly just so that they could test your dicipline. If you slipped up once, you'd be charged interest from day one. And even if the deal is such that you can pay it with just a one time payment in 6 months, or 12 months, that's just another thing to worry about down the road.

Finance a house... finance a car (I suppose). But after that, if you can't pay for it out of pocket, then don't buy it, save up first and show some restraint and financial discipline.

Just my humble 2 cents.

Upvote 0
rangersrul said:
Eggsplorer said:
testthewest said:

I agree regarding the kits. It really doesn't provide a "discount" If you already have EF glass... might as well run with that for the time being and be pleasantly surprised when you finally upgrade to L glass or another off brand such as Tamron.

Let's keep in mind that the original 24-105 f/4 L is considered an extremely versatile, well-built, accurate, reliable work horse by many photographers. It is not the sharpest lens that Canon offers but everything is relative. I purchased it as a kit with the 6D Mk I, and it is awesome. I use it constantly. It is very sharp, and I never second guess the quality. It is a great lens that I have beaten the heck out for the past five years.

IMO, If you are purchasing the 6D mk II and need a standard zoom, you can't go wrong with the 24-105 L Mk I OR II.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
testthewest said:

If you shoot an longer FL multiple zoom on crop today (18-135, 15-85, etc.), grabbing one of the 24-105 options is the better call, as a 24-70 zoom will handcuff you zoom-wise.

If you don't -- if reach is not a #1 or #2 for you in a standard zoom -- get the 24-70 f/4L IS all day. Sharper + lighter + macro wins out over reach with me.

In either case, get a Canon refurb instead of a new or kitted lens and save yourself some bucks.

- A

Thanks for the advice everyone. I probably have to meditate over wheter I need the extra range, or 15-48 (crop equivalent) is good enough...
...and furthermore hope the camera is out before my short trip to Rome with my son. ;)

Upvote 0
Don't feed the troll, lads...

Luds34 said:
3catsinky said:

This is the 2nd time I've heard "beginner" or "starter" camera. Why/Who truly thinks this? The sensor will probably be as good or better then anything that existed just a few short years ago from a pure IQ standpoint. And the AF system is in a similar category. It wasn't that long ago you needed a 1D body to get something with this many focus points (and even then they were rarely all cross type). Not to mention the CPU power...
neuroanatomist said:
3catsinky said:

Indeed. By the way, how'd the NX-1 work out for you? Are you looking forward to it's cutting edge, high-tech successor? Oh, wait... Well, nevermind, you've probably already switched to Sony. Why are you here? Oh yes, to troll. Good then...

bf17ea1b8aa857778138b91de51b96a0--sprays-funny-pics.jpg

hmatthes said:
3catsinky said:
Beginner's camera? Let's think about those poor cretins buying my images and paying this "beginner" -- suckers! {fwiw, after 60 years of shooting, I do still feel like a beginner because I always wish to improve}
Does the 6D do everything perfectly? NO! I wouldn't do weddings without dual card slots even though no card ever failed for me. I wouldn't shoot sports with such a slow continuous rate.
What the 6D does: it delivers outstanding images in almost any conditions IF the user THINKS first. The 6D-II will probably do even better. The 6D is horrible if you NEED lots of AF points. {I usually need one} The 6D-II will be great with 45.
But life marches on and yesterday's pro gear gets replaced by even better image gathering technology. Bells & whistles aside, IQ is what matters.
As I replace my 6D with a 6D-II, some lucky "beginner" can buy a great FF image grabber at the price of a so-so, feature rich, cropped sensor camera.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Luds34 said:
unfocused said:
Unsolicited advice for those considering pre-orders...

While I appreciate your sentiment I need to respectively disagree...

Reasonable people can always disagree. I agree that the savings won't be significant. For me, it's not so much about the savings as about not depleting cash reserves. I'd rather take $200 out of my monthly cash flow for 10 months ($2000) and leave $2,000 in savings even if the money in savings is not earning a penny in interest.

As I said in my original post, I am assuming that buyers are adults and make adult buying decisions. Certainly the American easy credit system is predicated on the assumption that a certain percentage of people will make poor decisions and end up paying penalties and interest. That's why credit companies can afford to make these zero-percent offers. But, just because others can't control their impulses is no reason not to use the system for your own personal benefit.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
3catsinky said:

haha, you're funny. The NX1, a fine machine, easily better than anything Canon keeps announcing. But if you must know, hauling around 2 different systems was a pain, so yes, all Sony now.

Upvote 0