5D MK iii focus confirmation grrrrrr.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am struggling a little bit to adapt to the lack of the visial focus confirmation on the 5D Mk iii. Okay, it does exist - in the bottom right corner of the viewfinder but it isn;t obvious and requires a very deliberate movement of the eye to look at it. This wasts time and slows things down, IMO.

I pretty much use the centre focus point for 99% of the time. On the Mk i and Mk ii, regardless of the ambient light levels, the focus point always momentarily flashes the instant focus is achieved. Since I shoot wedding I turn the audible focus confirmation off. This little flash of the focus point gives me the confidence to know that focus has been achieved. No more wondering.

But on the Mk iii this only happens in low light. In medium to brighter conditions, unless you waste half to one second to take your eye off your composition and check the tiny focus confirmation icon on the bottom right corner, you do not know that the camera has achieved focus on the subject.

I wish they would make a firmware update to add this to a menu item and make it an optional visual focus confirmation - either as it is (low light only), or to always give the little blip of the focus point.

Thoughts.....?

A

Astro

davidbellissima said:
I wish they would make a firmware update to add this to a menu item and make it an optional visual focus confirmation - either as it is (low light only), or to always give the little blip of the focus point.

Thoughts.....?

write canon about it.
here it will not yield any result i guess.

we can talk about it... and i agree.. but if you want that canon does something.. then write directly to canon.

Upvote 0
Bosman said:
bp said:
AF section, last square on the right, VF display illumination. Set to ENABLE/ON instead of AUTO.

In One Shot mode, it'll light up red regardless of lighting conditions.

While that helps a little its not always on like on my 1dm3.

I want it to flash when you START to autofocus like on the mk II

Upvote 0
I haven't had a chance to check it out or try it. I'm accustomed to 1-D MK ll's where I programed the little AF box to biefly light up and go out which I like a lot.
Will the feature described above work for servo AF and not just one-shot ?

I sure am glad the 9 permanent focusing screen boxes found in the 5D MK ll are gone.

Canon's Rudy Winston has an overview tutorial on the new MKlll / 1-Dx metering system online.
Looking at the manual, and camera menus for the AF system options makes my head hurt.

I wish the options were more simple, Football, Basketball, Track, Auto Racing.....etc

Upvote 0
rlarsen said:
I haven't had a chance to check it out or try it. I'm accustomed to 1-D MK ll's where I programed the little AF box to biefly light up and go out which I like a lot.

I sure am glad the 9 permanent focusing screen boxes found in the 5D MK ll are gone.

Canon's Rudy Winston has an overview tutorial on the new MKlll / 1-Dx metering system online.
Looking at the manual, and camera menus for the AF system options makes my head hurt.

I wish the options were more simple, Football, Basketball, Track, Auto Racing.....etc
It's all there in the manual but for the head hurting prob just go to your menu on the 5DM3 and go to the "AF" section. On the first section it has those presets for diff sports or activities for focus tracking. It's there my friend.

Upvote 0
Bosman said:
rlarsen said:

It's all there in the manual but for the head hurting prob just go to your menu on the 5DM3 and go to the "AF" section. On the first section it has those presets for diff sports or activities for focus tracking. It's there my friend.

Also, if you hold down the INFO button while on one of the AF cases and scroll down it will give you a lot of detailed info and then at the bottom, actual examples, just like you are asking for. In fact the info button is extremely helpful in all the menus, it basically has the whole manual for on the go access...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.