5D3 and things that could be improved just a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

This is a thread about things I’ve noticed about my new 5D3. It’s not a rant or Canon blew this one kind of thread. I love my 5D3, and I’ve had almost few weeks and a few thousand images with it. There are just a few tiny little things I’d change.

First, I shot with my Canon EOS ef-m for years with its 35-80 kit lens, then moved up to AF with an EOS 5. After that is was a jump to an EOS 50D in October 2008, then, as we know, the 5D3 in March 2012. I even played with a Sinar 4x5 view camera in that time frame too.

Now, on to the 5D3:

One thing I don’t like is where your right thumb would be when shooting. The ergonomic on the camera case is too high. That bump below the af-on/ ae lock/ af point button, you know the one. After an hour or so of holding the camera it wears on the skin. I have not used the camera with big gloves on, maybe in the winter when it’s -20c the bump will prove to be useful.

Let’s say your shooting, you stop for a minute and the camera goes to sleep. Pressing the shutter to shoot again, I find the wake up time too long. Maybe I just need to get used to the shutter button, it’s quite different than the 50D’s.

You shoot an image, and the image is still on the preview for the 2 seconds (or more if you’ve changed the setting), you hit zoom to look closer BEFORE the image preview time expires, now you turn the quick control dial to view the previous image, but the camera wont go to the previous image. You have to “clear” the screen, hit the playback button, then you can browse all of your images zoomed or not.

As usual, the manual is written by someone who has never used the camera.

When you achieve focus and the focus point lights red, I can’t see it light up in bright conditions. It needs to be brighter or something.

Maybe some this could be addressed with firmware updates, or the next 5D4 @$4500.

Thanks.

Dec 13, 2010
Ricku said:
What about the truly important things that could / should be improved a lot, from the start?

Like giving us a sensor with improved DR capabilities?

I'd also like spot metering to be linked to selected AF point.

Something to wish for in the MK IV, I guess.

It's easily a stop better when it comes DR. metering is MUCH improved, the AF kicks 1d mk4's ass.

Spot linked to AF is something I miss from the mk4, yes.

What I am not OVERLY excited about is the relatively small amount of noise-improvment.

And I also notice the slight softness....

duck.jpg

Like in this 100% crop shot on a 85mm @ f1,8. There should be more structure and crispiness there, imo.

Another thing that (I haven't found) would like to see is a direct menu to the choosing scenarios for AF, so I can add it to My Menu. Now I have to have the three adjustments there, instead of the fixed scenarios.

Upvote 0
S

samsettle

Daniel Flather said:
You shoot an image, and the image is still on the preview for the 2 seconds (or more if you’ve changed the setting), you hit zoom to look closer BEFORE the image preview time expires, now you turn the quick control dial to view the previous image, but the camera wont go to the previous image. You have to “clear” the screen, hit the playback button, then you can browse all of your images zoomed or not.

This is exactly the same as the 7D and I've been frustrated by it for close to two years now...

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
Daniel Flather said:

You can hit the playback button as soon as the preview hits and then zoom in and still be able to scroll. I do have the SET button assigned to zoom, I think that helps a bit.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Viggo said:
Another thing that (I haven't found) would like to see is a direct menu to the choosing scenarios for AF, so I can add it to My Menu. Now I have to have the three adjustments there, instead of the fixed scenarios.

I played in the menu for a while trying to accomplish exactly that the first weekend, but as we all know, you can't. I DO like that you can set 'My Menu' to be the default page that comes up when you hit the Menu button, if you want. It took me a little bit to get used to the change, after all I have been using the MKII for about 3 1/2 years, but I really like the new menu layout/system.

Upvote 0
O

Orion

On the subject of "dynamic range," I truly believe that all this in house HDR processing that is offered with such cameras as the mkIII is for the sole purpose of SLOWLY incoprporating all those things into one solid movement and exposure . . and learning how to do it so that you can make a camera with actual hd range never before seen in a dslr. They are learning to hitch the hardware with the software, and have a solid merger of such abilities via the sensor. . .

Upvote 0
D

D.Sim

Daniel Flather said:
Hi,

This is a thread about things I’ve noticed about my new 5D3. It’s not a rant or Canon blew this one kind of thread. I love my 5D3, and I’ve had almost few weeks and a few thousand images with it. There are just a few tiny little things I’d change.

One thing I don’t like is where your right thumb would be when shooting. The ergonomic on the camera case is too high. That bump below the af-on/ ae lock/ af point button, you know the one. After an hour or so of holding the camera it wears on the skin. I have not used the camera with big gloves on, maybe in the winter when it’s -20c the bump will prove to be useful.

Maybe some this could be addressed with firmware updates, or the next 5D4 @$4500.

Don't think that bump can be fixed with a firmware update ;D ;D ;D

Jokes, just messing with you... Interestingly I found my thumb position just right... Almost like a perfect, natural fit, where the hand just slips into place... Could be they designed it with Asians and our smaller mitts in mind? If so, this could be fixed when the battery grip comes out, and you have more space to move your hand down, and your thumb will fall into place better? (Just speculating)

Great comments on the rest though....

Upvote 0
T

the-ninth

Love the 5D3, but of course there is always a few more tweaks that would be nice:

• Ability to always light up the selected AF point in red. In servo the AF points currently used for tracking should be in red as well. This could come with similar setting as during on-shot focusing (OFF/AUTO/ON). Tried to take moving cars at night and could only guess which AF points are currently at work, no chance to see ...
  • Ability to better control the automatic minimum shutter speed in Auto-ISO. Calculate like this: 1/focal length + x, where x could be a positive or negative value, defined via a slider in 1/3 stops, from -3 to +3.
  • Ability to choose all shutter speeds available in the camera as automatic minimum shutter speed in Auto-ISO.
  • Ability to freely map functions to buttons. No idea why some buttons are restricted to some functions. I'd like to have both DOF preview and on-shot/servo AF switch on a button, but they are only available for the DOF preview button, so I have to choose between them. AF-ON is unused, I'd like to put on-shot/servo there.
  • Somehow the zoom function when viewing picture seems botched to me. I use zoom much more often then jumping 10 pictures back and forth, so I'd rather have to press a button for the latter and have the wheel next to the shutter button directly connected to the zoom.

So, I think now I am done with nagging. ;)

Some of these limitations seem to be really arbitrary, maybe to give the 1Dx some headway.

Cheers, Robert

Upvote 0
D

D.Sim

the-ninth said:
Love the 5D3, but of course there is always a few more tweaks that would be nice:

• Ability to always light up the selected AF point in red. In servo the AF points currently used for tracking should be in red as well. This could come with similar setting as during on-shot focusing (OFF/AUTO/ON). Tried to take moving cars at night and could only guess which AF points are currently at work, no chance to see ...
Pretty sure that can be done, read the thread on a letter to KR[/list]

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
the-ninth said:

• Ability to better control the automatic minimum shutter speed in Auto-ISO. Calculate like this: 1/focal length + x, where x could be a positive or negative value, defined via a slider in 1/3 stops, from -3 to +3.
  • Ability to freely map functions to buttons. No idea why some buttons are restricted to some functions. I'd like to have both DOF preview and on-shot/servo AF switch on a button, but they are only available for the DOF preview button, so I have to choose between them. AF-ON is unused, I'd like to put on-shot/servo there.
  • Somehow the zoom function when viewing picture seems botched to me. I use zoom much more often then jumping 10 pictures back and forth, so I'd rather have to press a button for the latter and have the wheel next to the shutter button directly connected to the zoom.
I totally agree with the above points although I do love my Mk. III.

• It can be difficult to confirm where focus is locking in AI Servo as there are no guides when in this mode and the red illuminated confirmation is next to impossible to see in brighter conditions in one shot mode.
  • I am still getting used to the picture viewing on this rig, there are more combinations for sure. I will try out the set button to zoom next I think.
  • I am happy with the Auto-ISO and shutter coming from the 40D, however I agree that more control would have been nice

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.