5D3 macro question (Possible Noobish)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if someone can help me here, I have only had my 5d3 for about three weeks. I tried to do a few macro shots today, (Close ups of flowers) using the kit lens.

Autofocus was spot on looking through the view finder but I could not get the camera to take the picture, nothing happened when pushing shutter. If I dropped to manual focus on lens or zoomed further out it worked fine. I haven't done much Macro before, is there something I am missing?

Or was the camera telling me I was too close even though it looked ok?

Mar 25, 2011
jeffdo said:
Wondering if someone can help me here, I have only had my 5d3 for about three weeks. I tried to do a few macro shots today, (Close ups of flowers) using the kit lens.

Autofocus was spot on looking through the view finder but I could not get the camera to take the picture, nothing happened when pushing shutter. If I dropped to manual focus on lens or zoomed further out it worked fine. I haven't done much Macro before, is there something I am missing?

Or was the camera telling me I was too close even though it looked ok?
The 24-105mmL kit lens is not a macro lens, so if you get too close, it will not achieve sharp focus and if your camera is set to single shot, the shutter will not release.
If you change to AI Servo, the shutter will release, and you will get a out of focus image.
It is difficult to tell by looking thru the viewfinder when critical focus is achieved.
If you are mounted on a tripod, use live view with 5 or 10X magnification and manually focus.
A 100mm Macro lens will do a better job.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.