5DS R tethered live view focus problems

I have my 5DS R connected to my iMac in the current EOS utility 3. I am using a Zeiss Makro-plannar 50mm f2 lens which is manual focus. My studio strobes modelling lamp is bright and have a good contrast area to focus on and with my iMac have live view set and zoomed in to 16x to focus. I adjust lens manually, nailed the focus according to live view. I then press my shutter down part way and no focus confirmation beep. hmm, why is that? I snap the pic and view raw... hmm ok but soft. Next shot, I focus through viewfinder and rapidly half depress shutter while micro adjusting focus until I get the focus confirmation beep. I am using the same focus point on the object as live view. However, when I look it in live view at 16x on iMac the focus is way off. I snap the photo and look at Raw.

the results, the second shot that looked blurry in live view but had the camera focus confirmation beep was definitely a sharper final image than the one that I shot previously that looked sharp in live view at 16x but didn't get beep.

Anyone have an idea whats going on? its impossible for me to see the sharpness difference between the two in the viewfinder so either have to rely on micro adjusting for the beep or live view.

It is an apple and orange comparison. If your using 16x manually and viewing what you are focusing the half press tone is meaningless as is any AF adjustment. You are 100% manual.

If you had said you focused in 16x and it was tack sharp on lcd, push the shutter and waited 10 seconds for the release it would be more of a puzzle why it is oof. I would look at technique and circumstance first.

I had a series of shots with the 5Ds R two weeks ago that turned out soft. Shooting off tripod, live view, 16x with shutter set at 10 second delay. I had a series before and after this series that were tack sharp. Only difference in the subject is that it was against a very overcast sky. It seemed odd and my first thought was the camera was doing it. More probable is human error on my part, possibly bumped the AF switch on or something. It is definitely something I am watching for next time.

Upvote 0
Manual focus of the subject using the magnified Live View image should always result in the precise focus the operator selected, in the sense that you will take an image at the focus distance that you chose. Nothing in the optical path will change distance--the AF system of the camera is not involved.

The only situations I can think of which would change the point of critical focus in the above scenario is if (1) the camera or subject has changed position in some way, possibly due to movement in depressing the shutter on the camera; (2) there is camera shake during exposure; (3) the design of the lens exhibits focus shift and the aperture at which the image is shot is not the same as the aperture at which the image was focused; (4) the camera body somehow re-engages AF after the shutter press.

Thus, the only real possibility of missed focus is operator error, in the sense of incorrect technique when using manual focus in magnified Live View mode.

If the operator assesses focus through the viewfinder but does not otherwise utilize the AF system, the additional sources of error include: (1) the alignment relationship of the viewfinder's plane of focus to the sensor; (2) misaligned focusing screen; (2) focusing screen lacks sufficient precision to ascertain critical focus; (3) dioptric adjustment incorrect.

If the operator relies in any way on the AF sensor via focus confirmation, the additional sources of error include: (1) misalignment of the AF mirror or AF sensor with the focusing planes of the viewfinder and/or the sensor; (2) electronic or algorithmic failure of phase-detection AF to sense correct phase; (3) imprecision of focus confirmation range.

Upvote 0
chromophore said:
Thus, the only real possibility of missed focus is operator error, in the sense of incorrect technique when using manual focus in magnified Live View mode.

I do not believe that is so, here is why. The shutter and mirror system in the 5Ds is all new. There is always the possibility of some bug or fault in the mechanism that under certain circumstances introduces vibration. When I hit the OOF series this thought popped in to my head since I was shooting under a very controlled situation and never get bad results.. It just didn't feel right after all the years I have been shooting with live view. I wrote mine off to human error for now. I only posted because the OP's post sounded familiar and I wanted to see if any one else had a similar experience.

Upvote 0
takesome1 said:
chromophore said:

I do not believe that is so, here is why. The shutter and mirror system in the 5Ds is all new. There is always the possibility of some bug or fault in the mechanism that under certain circumstances introduces vibration. When I hit the OOF series this thought popped in to my head since I was shooting under a very controlled situation and never get bad results.. It just didn't feel right after all the years I have been shooting with live view. I wrote mine off to human error for now. I only posted because the OP's post sounded familiar and I wanted to see if any one else had a similar experience.

No, this is not a plausible explanation for the OP's situation. I can't speak to your specific experience since there are too many unaccountable possibilities. In Live View, the mirror is already locked up; otherwise, you could not SEE the Live View image. It does not flip down during the exposure unless phase detection AF mode is engaged.

In order for the shutter's movement to be solely responsible for loss of sharpness, the camera would have to be unstably supported; e.g., a cheap tripod, hanging from the camera strap, perched on a sleeping cat.... Mirror slap is WAY more powerful than the shutter movement. But even if one suspects this to be the problem, it can be tested by taking a shot in bulb mode of a completely dark (to the camera's perceived EV) scene, then pop off a flash thirty seconds after the shutter was opened; thus, the flash intensity combined with the lens aperture will determine the exposure, not the shutter. And it will be impossible to claim that any mechanical movement is causing blur or missed focus, because nothing is moving while the flash goes off.

Upvote 0