Mar 2, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
ksgal said:
Eldar said:
Just saw this from our good friend Tony;
http://northrup.photo/canon-5ds-r-dxomark-scores-why-you-shouldnt-care/

And I just read the comments.. and came across this:

Tony Northrup July 14, 2015 at 11:47 am

"The focusing of the a7R II definitely won’t be the same–at least with the beta versions, you can’t select the autofocus point while using adapted lenses…

Let that sink in. During a portrait, the camera might decide to focus on the nose or ear, and not the near eye, and there’s nothing you can do about it.

Without being able to select the focusing point, adapted lenses are good only for the most casual snapshots or when manual focusing."

Makes the camera a total non starter for me - I like my glass, and while I do covet a mirrorless Sony, I think this emphasizes to me that it will be an addition, not a replacement, in my bag - and with a Sony lens.

If true, that really renders all the comments about AF speed improvements with 3rd party (e.g. Canon) lenses moot. But a) it's with a prerelease version and b) it's TN, so let's wait and see.

According to one post, it's not true.

"Just got the A7 this morning and i have been doing a few quick auto focus tests with the Canon 24-70 F4

First test was with the commlite outside just with single point focus set and it performed really well very quick there was just a very small lag when going from close to far focus, the performance was far better than the sony FE 24-70 on my A7R and it seemed as fast as my nikon d750 with a variety of lenses on.Now i tried it inside with a dimly lit room, the performance went way down lots of hunting and at times you could hear the lens motor ticking away making small changes back and forth not so good.Turning the lights up a bit in the room and it was able to lock focus but again there was a fair bit of hunting.Also the commlite suffered from reflections if the was a strong light source from above like a light.

I then tried the Metabones Mark III outside very fast even a hair quicker than the commlite it felt as quick as the D750 to be honest.Trying it inside and it was definitely better than the commlite it was able to lock focus better although at times it still hunted trying to lock yet other times you could move it around the room at it would lock instantly so from an early quick test indoors i would have to say the auto focus is a bit inconsistent but very usable just after that i tried my A7r with the 24-70 FE and it was about the same in the same dimly lit room.Also the reflection problem isn't as bad as on the commlite.

Ill have to check to see if i am able to update the firmware on the metabones see if that improves things any, the mark iv version would probably be better still.

Over all very impressed the 24-70 works very well i mainly shoot landscape so auto focus speed isn't that important to me."

Upvote 0