7D vs 5DIII default sharpness

luckydude

1dxII, 5DIII, 7DII, lots of glass, tolerant wife
Aug 3, 2013
Anyone else have these bodies and noticed that the 7D is soft compared to the 5D when both are shooting jpg?

Until I got the 5D I loved the 7D, got the 5D, hated the 7D, then I changed up the sharpness from 3 to 6 and started liking the 7D a bit again. But at the default 3 I hated it.

Is that just my body or have other people seen similar things?

Yes, I pixel peep, I shoot birds a lot.

luckydude

Aug 3, 2013
thgmuffin said:
AFMA calibrated?

No but it's similar across a bunch of lenses from 100mm L macro to 600MM II.

What I've noticed is that it is just very soft compared to the jpegs the 5D does.

The camera did go back to Canon because it bricked itself, might be my imagination but it seemed worse when it came back.

Upvote 0

luckydude

Aug 3, 2013
For the record, in case Canon is listening (as if!), I'd happily pay a $600 premium for a 5DIII clone that was a 22MP crop factor sensor if the images were as good as what I get off the 5D.

Why? Because if the images were as good with the 1.6x extra reach and it had the 5D's auto focus et al, holy crap that would be a kick butt wild life body.

I used to never post process, not even crop, but with the 5D I'm finding that I have to crop to get the look I want. Pain in the butt :)

Upvote 0
Dianoda said:
7D has a rather strong AA filter - all the other bodies I've owned (T1i, 5D III, EOS M) have been sharper at the pixel level (edit - I only shoot raw, btw).

Lot's of Sports people are having issues with the 5d III. VERY SOFT Photos.
I can take the camera in studio and Tack Sharp.

Could this be the AA filter, and different light???

I even have the issue with hot shoe and outside.

Or if part of the say football player is tack sharp, say football on chest, the face would be very Soft. Like the DOF is Very Shallow even on a 7.1 or Higher F-Stop. Wasn't like this with my 1ds

Upvote 0

luckydude

Aug 3, 2013
RealPerson said:
Dianoda said:
7D has a rather strong AA filter - all the other bodies I've owned (T1i, 5D III, EOS M) have been sharper at the pixel level (edit - I only shoot raw, btw).

Lot's of Sports people are having issues with the 5d III. VERY SOFT Photos.
I can take the camera in studio and Tack Sharp.

Could this be the AA filter, and different light???

I even have the issue with hot shoe and outside.

Or if part of the say football player is tack sharp, say football on chest, the face would be very Soft. Like the DOF is Very Shallow even on a 7.1 or Higher F-Stop. Wasn't like this with my 1ds

That's weird. I've shot a ton of hockey with the 5DIII and 200mm f2L and haven't had that problem.

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/2013-07-hockey-huntington/July-18-1999ers-USA-vs-Canada/4.html

That's f5, just a random one I grabbed. Most of that 2013-07-hockey-huntington is the 200mm, the beginning is the 135L; bought the 200mm in the middle of that after I tried one :)

Upvote 0