8K Cinema RAW Light coming to the EOS R5 confirmed by Apple?

++++ every time I look to the lcd there is a red blinking warning that makes you get nervous

A.M.: That's a worry.... probably explains your anxiety.. just a friendly joke :)

Taked with humour! ;) ;)

Ok, let´s get this clear and On-topic. Of course it´s great, or it would be great to have cinema light raw in the EOS R5, honestly I don´t think canon will make it, I think that´s a feature to come in the new cinema line cameras. I would be well received though.

But believe me when I say this....Canon must fix the other problems (name we can´t pronounce (Also joke!!) ) before adress to new features. And it does...Even when you are shooting stills that dot blinking from the thing we can´t pronounce, it makes you nervous. My anxiety is to have a beast of a camera in the hands and can´t use it properly because of the thing we can´t pronounce! :D :D

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Thanks for your concern.
If you shoot RAW, or light RAW, it have to be for a more professional video user perspective than just a photographer point of view.
At this time; the full video capabilities of the camera should be carefully addressed.
If a firmware is allowing such great LightRaw option, the maximum recording time and recovery time will go together.
There is no more," it's a great picture camera, deal with it" anymore.
For now, recording maximum recording time limitation will block all the professional use of 8K video.
Sorry if it's hard to read.
And if you think a user should be ban for saying so; so be it.

" maximum recording time limitation will block all the professional use of 8K video "

Not true at all. There are tons of professional video applications where you don't need more than 1-2 minute clips at a time.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Interestingly, I can't play my 5.9K Canon RAW Light from C500 II with the update. It looks like Canon still needs to release the update to their Canon RAW plugin.
Hi, having the same issue with C300 Mark III 4K RAW files. It says, Canon RAW is not supported and the image is black. You can see in the description below here: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020...dated-with-significant-workflow-improvements/ that they used the Canon RAW light 2.0 prerelease version, so we need to wait for Canon to release this first (currently 1.5 is the latest). It is weird, that they did not release these together. I hope that we finally get Canon RAW adjustments as prores RAW. It does not make any sense importing RAW files to fcpx, when you cant edit WB, ISO, Exposure etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So YOU should read the post! What canonrumors refer is an upgrade for the R5!

I have some trouble understanding this kind of "blind praise"....but I guess it´s just me. I believe when a topic refers the upcoming firmware of the EOS R5 that the overheating issue must be discussed. Unless you have no idea how painfull it is to have such an amazing camera in the hands and you just can´t work with her in video purposes. You have no idea how it is to be shooting stills and every time I look to the lcd there is a red blinking warning that makes you get nervous. So you prefer to adress the possibility of the eos R5 to have 8k raw? Fine. On topic: Ohh yeaaaahhh baby! 8k cinemaraw light! This just ads a hole new world to the camera!

Now, I visit this forum for years and of course I already discover that here either you praise Canon, or you are a troll or a hater, or someone just "shooo" on you! But hey.....I´m a troll with a large amount of money invested in this brand...I am not here to troll I am here with the hope that if we make noise, if we complain maybe Canon can adress the issues and get better! For some of you no...everything is perfect and no one can talk about nothing unless is for praising.

So, continue with the thread, speak about the 8k raw. I "shoo" out of here.;)

EDIT: Ohhh BTW Finalcutpro has updated last night and they have added RAW editing. Adjusting prores raw is now possible in the inspector.

Maybe you should also air your concerns direct with Canon (yes I have already). I think the point people are making is they understand a lot of the views re video / overheat, but perhaps some threads could remain just on topic, otherwise you have to spend ages finding the relevant posts... that’s all.

Upvote 0
On a separate note, I would assume that Canon has provided this to a number of vendors, just somehow Apple didn’t read the memo about NDA. So would expect DaVinci, Avid and Premier to also be adding these in the imminent future.

For those with Cameras already supporting raw light, can you give any insights into ease of editing, quality, any comparisons to raw (excuse my ignorance for not knowing what options you can record in on any of the Cine line models). Appreciated.

Upvote 0
Maybe you should also air your concerns direct with Canon (yes I have already). I think the point people are making is they understand a lot of the views re video / overheat, but perhaps some threads could remain just on topic, otherwise you have to spend ages finding the relevant posts... that’s all.

Ok, so sorry about the off-topic. End of line here. ;)

Ohh I did of course. More than once. ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Sounds interesting and glad it is supported in Final Cut, though I wonder why Canon don't just shove ProRes RAW into the cameras and make it even easier to work with. You can send the Nikon Z6 off for this update and then you just have the camera output easy to work with RAW footage.

With the lawsuits between Apple and RED about ProRes RAW patents and royalties, Canon will likely stay far away from that. I think the best we can hope for like a situation like Nikon: output some form of 'RAW' over HDMI and use an Atomos to convert it to ProRes RAW.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

visionrouge.net

Video / Photography, China & Hong Kong
Jul 16, 2020
Hong Kong
www.visionrouge.net
Nobody working “on set” is using a camera that was designed primarily for still photography. Get a video camera.
You do understand the subject of this thread is about 8K Rawlight for the R5 and so for video purpose only, right?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
You do understand the subject of this thread is about 8K Rawlight for the R5 and so for video purpose only, right?

You do not understand that video can be used for many things, not just movie sets or events where you need all day shooting.
Most of the commercial applications (adverts, marketing) rarely need clips longer than 5 minutes. So having all kind of high quality video features is useful even if you cannot shoot a 4 hour tennis match in 8K.

Upvote 0
actually it's CR's supposition that it's for the R5. if you actually take the 10 seconds to read what Apple wrote, they didn't mention the R5. You know, verus the 30 minutes to launch into another overheating tirade ;)

and btw, for the R5 to output Cini RAW light, there's got to be a .... what is it.... ? a firmware UPGRADE. that may just fix what you are bitching about.

and if it doesn't? buy a video camera. looking at your website, you certainly do know the difference.

Upvote 0
You do not understand that video can be used for many things, not just movie sets or events where you need all day shooting.
Most of the commercial applications (adverts, marketing) rarely need clips longer than 5 minutes. So having all kind of high quality video features is useful even if you cannot shoot a 4 hour tennis match in 8K.
it's the random unpredictability that is the problem.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
" maximum recording time limitation will block all the professional use of 8K video "

Not true at all. There are tons of professional video applications where you don't need more than 1-2 minute clips at a time.
Correct, a song is aproximately 4-5min. If you have 15min, that gives you 3 songs. It depends what are your task at hand, but if I am asked to record a performance of a specific choir during a festival, my choir would sing only 3 songs and the entire 15min I can have in 8K, if I have enough space. The behind the scenes, I can shoot in 4K.

Upvote 0