8K Cinema RAW Light coming to the EOS R5 confirmed by Apple?

Sounds interesting and glad it is supported in Final Cut, though I wonder why Canon don't just shove ProRes RAW into the cameras and make it even easier to work with. You can send the Nikon Z6 off for this update and then you just have the camera output easy to work with RAW footage.
You have RED to thank for that, RED is the reason why no cameras have prores raw internally.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

Nobody working “on set” is using a camera that was designed primarily for still photography. Get a video camera.
Not true. Not as an A cam. Definitely seen DSLRs and mirrorless cameras as B and C cams. Especially in tight spaces like inside of vehicles, etc. So getting a shot in 8K on a small mirrorless would prove beneficial even “on set.”

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
You do understand the subject of this thread is about 8K Rawlight for the R5 and so for video purpose only, right?
Way back, I used to shoot Tv commercials. Yeah, back in the days of film. We used 16mm Arris, and 35mm Mitchels (heavy beast).

rarely, a commercial was 5 minutes long, for special presentations. Usually we shot for a two minute insert. But that could be over a dozen individual shots. Most being no more than 20 seconds. Then, often, because of retakes, with a minute or two between, a bunch of those. Film wasn’t long enough to shoot 30 minutes at a time, even if we would have wanted to. So we had lots of film changes during shoots.

today, with digital, the same situation exists. nothing new there. And yes, we had backup equipment. It’s very expensive to get a shoot together, particularly if on location. Having extra equipment is cheap in comparison. I can’t imagine not having at least two digital cameras on hand at all times, very possibly three, considering how cheap even an expensive video camera, at $15,000, is when compared to the price of what we used back them.

as for the R5, it’s practically a throw away body.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Someone posted at DPreview that they spoke to CPS France(They are having an issue with a CFexpress card) and new firmware is dropping tomorrow for the R5. Take it with a grain of salt but I am interested to know if anyone else is hearing whispers of this.
Nothing from my support ticket, so clearly CPS have better insights. That would be very quick, I am surprised given all the other work / products they are launching, and the regression testing required.

That would perhaps indicate higher concern within Canon than perhaps I for one thought they would. Unless it is just DRL and everything else is to follow...

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
it's the random unpredictability that is the problem.
If you take 10 R5s and turn them off overnight and then subject them to exactly the same sequence (pick your sequence) of actions, I suspect they will all show overheat warnings at very much the same time. That is neither random, nor unpredictable. If all 10 cameras have different CFE cards, there may be some differences in the response time, but I have not seen a test to establish that. The "unpredictable" part comes from users actions being random and unpredictable, like whether the EVF and screen are set to 60 Hz or 120 Hz refresh (potentially a huge difference in heat generation), and whether they shot no stills, a few single frame stills, or spent the whole morning at 20 fps. The "randomness" comes from people not being able to recognize the sources of heat build-up and then not being able to do the mental math to tell them when they are going to be in trouble (that is why the camera has a warning and from what I have read, the warning is quite consistent in its prediction). Is the camera algorithm overly cautious in its cool-down time? Possibly, and that may be fixed in firmware. Are there some bugs in the overheat algorithm that make it too aggressive? Possibly, but not likely that there is any randomness in the process. Maybe Canon should add a thermometer to the top screen functions so folks can see what happens to temperature as a consequence of their actions. In analogy, you can floorboard a Cummins all day with no consequence, but try the same thing with a Porsche and you will have a crispy critter (and it won't even warn you before it blows up).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Although, the site's author clearly assume that there is a direct link between the Apple announcement and the rumored R5 firmware update - something for which no direct evidence yet exists - I think that the real issue we'd like to know is, even if all of the assumptions are correct, does the addition of Cinema Raw Light video option to the R5 do anything to lengthen its recording time without overheating? That is the crux of the matter, and, of course, although some may assume it does do that, no one really does know it yet.

Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
You have RED to thank for that, RED is the reason why no cameras have prores raw internally.
Not completely true. DJI’s X7 writes PRR internally. My guess, beyond that, Apple and Red, and Canon all have patents that they share Or license. Canon and Red apparently worked out their differences for the C500 II.. even the IDX III and R5 would seem to violate Red’s Raw patent. Either money was changed hands, or Red really wanted access to the RF lens protocol for Komodo.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
" maximum recording time limitation will block all the professional use of 8K video "

Not true at all. There are tons of professional video applications where you don't need more than 1-2 minute clips at a time.
Yes, but not when you need to shut the camera off for two hours in between takes. As an R5 owner, I have to keep it real.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Someone posted at DPreview that they spoke to CPS France(They are having an issue with a CFexpress card) and new firmware is dropping tomorrow for the R5. Take it with a grain of salt but I am interested to know if anyone else is hearing whispers of this.
Just the same whisper you are hearing. Let’s hope this firmware is real... fixes the silly time limits and recovery times... adds CLog2... and gives us better compression options.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Well I run my R5 8/hrs daily straight in 4K HQ mode and it’s yet to overheat. So I’m thinking it’s really not a issue.

Yes, but isn't there a big difference between the way you run it and the way you'd have to run it if all you had was the camera? I.e., external recording? Isn't it possible, therefore, that the issue is real but is with internal recording?

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Yeah, that’s what a lot of people were saying about 2k and 4k a few years ago. Don’t date yourself prematurit.
i still make a lot of money with 1080p especially with out low quality streaming sites and social media is. it might take forever for 8k to be as relevant to the masses.

Upvote 0