8K recording options for the Canon EOS R5 leak

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You can read up it here. It's still speculation, but at least it doesn't contradict common sense and basic physics, unlike the claims that a camera uses dual-pixel architecture for both dual-gain acquisition and autofocus at the same time, and that reading a half-pixel for exposure will lead to increased DR.

As to generating heat, there is not much more than amplifying, converting, transferring and processing those (extra) bits per second that generates heat in the camera. If only the EVF.

Please reread the posts you are replying to. I don't see how repeating the arguments again and again would be helpful if you don't read them.

If you have any particular objections to my arguments there, you are free to post them.
I have not objected to your posts. I am looking for information you obviously have about how the present hardware with video features makes the cameras less desirable for stills work. If you can't give a simple explanation, then don't worry about it. I'll just keep taking great stills with a camera that is far better than anything I have ever owned despite the video hardware hacks you say it has.

In my opinion, if you cannot provide a camera without the video hardware hacks in pure stills format, then all you probably have is just conjecture and faith in an idea you cannot possibly prove. Unless, of course, you have a simple explanation. Otherwise, my ignorance truly is bliss.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
But AF and DGO seemingly don't need to happen at the same time.
In video, they do.

I don't see how the idea that the two diodes in a pixel are amplified differently to increase DR break physics, as you seem to imply. Your quoted article didn't touch on that. It seems very much like the hidden mode with dual ISO for alternating rows of pixels that Magic Lantern unlocked way back when. That did definitely help for DR, since the read noise was much more brutal in the cameras that profited from that feature (5D III, 60D, 600D etc). Apart from parallax, what issue do you see from getting this effect with the half pixels?
A half pixel = half as many photons (one stop less of DR due to photon shot noise).

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I have not objected to your posts. I am looking for information you obviously have about how the present hardware with video features makes the cameras less desirable for stills work.
Present hardware? Where did I say anything like this?

Or do you mean present video camera hardware? Well, those 8-megapixel wide aspect ratio sensors obviously aren't optimized for photography.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Present hardware? Where did I say anything like this?

Or do you mean present video camera hardware? Well, those 8-megapixel wide aspect ratio sensors obviously aren't optimized for photography.
See the capture below. Were you talking about a product presently available? Or did you mean something in the future?Capture.JPG

So I was asking you how the hardware tricks (hacks in a previous post) make a camera worse for stills. That's what I wanted to know. Since you seem to be on the defensive (I have no idea why. I had an honest question.), just drop it. I am not attacking you, my friend. I am just seeking knowledge. I was hoping you'd give me some. That's all. I'm not trying to argue either way. I honestly don't know.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
See the capture below. Were you talking about a product presently available? Or did you mean something in the future?
As you could see, I was talking about global shutter and DGO.

Either of them is presently available in some of the video camera products.
As far as I know, neither is available in any mainstream stills camera product (with or without video functionality).
I would like this status quo not to change for R5 as a primarily stills camera.

Upvote 0