A Canon camera has shown up for certification

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
EOS R5 will have a wireless trigger ?

THIS would be awesome and what I always wanted.... I think Nikon had already something like this back in the days? (was always a little bit better for sports with flash I think (1/320s sync etc.?!))

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
THIS would be awesome and what I always wanted.... I think Nikon had already something like this back in the days? (was always a little bit better for sports with flash I think (1/320s sync etc.?!))

I am hoping for more built-in features that belong into a pro body:
- a built-in intervalometer that saves the hassle of carrying around an external trigger ...

Upvote 0
The PC Sync is on the side of the camera, seen here with the flash bolt icon:
The front is definitely the remote port, whichever type it is, much like on the 5D Mark IV.
Sorry for that, you are absolutely right. I didn t see the pic from left side. I assumed, because the flap is really similar to the one, which is on BG for EOS R...

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
True.
BUT: Voltages are the same i.e. 7.2V for the LP-E6N (EOS R) and this one.
That means the increase in energy is proportional i.e. 2130/1865 -> 14% more energy.
But what we still dont know: Will this lead to a higher CIPA rating regarding number of photos that can be taken with a charge? I think: Unlikely, because the power consumption of the R5 might be quite higher given new features like IBIS etc.
I think the extra power consumption by IBIS will be more than offset by a newer, more energy-efficient PROCESSOR. Think of the newly released 1DX Mk III, it has the same size battery - exactly as the predecessor but is double the capacity. Further, as I understand it, the processor is not only much quicker (unlimited buffer, basically) but much more efficient as well. So I will not be surprised if the battery life of the R5 will not be somewhere between 140-160% improvement over the current R, perhaps even as much as 200%. I don't think it will be quite that much however. You still have battery suck from the EVF, the extra communication between lens and body, and as you mention, IBIS. But I do think a my initial guess is reasonable.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
"Jesus, God, help, my lord, Jesus, help me I'm falling down the steps oh lord Jesus Christ please !"

FOR THE LOVE OF BOKEH WILL SOMEONE LEAK A PRICE SO I CAN START HINT-DROPPING ON THE WIFE OH HELP ME PLEASE!
My guess is the price will come in somewhere in this range $3,699USD - $3,899USD. Body only... (well, probably bundled with the EF - RF adapter).

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
But what we still dont know: Will this lead to a higher CIPA rating regarding number of photos that can be taken with a charge? I think: Unlikely, because the power consumption of the R5 might be quite higher given new features like IBIS etc.

I think it's likely that the R5 is going to have an improved CIPA rating, seeing how the latest gen of Canon bodies (1DX3, 90D) seem to be quite a bit more power efficient than their predecessors.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

AFAIK Nikon's wireless flash commander mode is just like Canon's: optical communication using the builtin popup flash. It's just in Canon's case that feature's limited to crop bodies only because FF Canons don't have a popup flash…

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
The RS80-N3 is older, from film days. The RS60-E3 was developed for a less bulky plug, and it can rotate.
+ Many cheap but good non-OEM wired remotes for the RS-60-E3. And hopefully this hints at on-board intervalometer, since Canon makes wired intervalometer for RS-80 plug, but not the RS-60. Intervalometer on-board, so no need for the bulkier RS80 plug is the thinking, maybe.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I think the extra power consumption by IBIS will be more than offset by a newer, more energy-efficient PROCESSOR. Think of the newly released 1DX Mk III, it has the same size battery - exactly as the predecessor but is double the capacity. Further, as I understand it, the processor is not only much quicker (unlimited buffer, basically) but much more efficient as well. So I will not be surprised if the battery life of the R5 will not be somewhere between 140-160% improvement over the current R, perhaps even as much as 200%. I don't think it will be quite that much however. You still have battery suck from the EVF, the extra communication between lens and body, and as you mention, IBIS. But I do think a my initial guess is reasonable.

The new LP-E6NH seems to have 15% more juice compared to the LP-E6N, so I'm expecting a much better CIPA rating on the R5 than the R has.

Upvote 0
"Jesus, God, help, my lord, Jesus, help me I'm falling down the steps oh lord Jesus Christ please !"

FOR THE LOVE OF BOKEH WILL SOMEONE LEAK A PRICE SO I CAN START HINT-DROPPING ON THE WIFE OH HELP ME PLEASE!

Probably more than $2000 and less than $7000. :)

Upvote 0