A couple of EOS R cameras that can be considered “pro” are in the pipeline [CR1]

Apr 1, 2016
Han, why would an R not be a good option? It's lacking a second card slot, that's the only thing, but otherwise it has plenty DR for portraits if you ask me (I shoot portraits too and since I control the situation completely, I hardly need to reach into extreem pushes anyway; in particular in the studio that's not an issue at all). Eye AF seems to be quite good since firmware 1.2

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Er....no it was a very poor sensor period. Regardless of what Nikon brought out. It was my impressios of my 7D the moment I got it out of the box and took it on a wild life photo shoot. I loved the new AF system, the live view integration was the best so far and the new ergonomics and menu system was way better than anything previous. But I could see iso noise in blue skies at 200 iso.

Translation: you could pixel peep to a higher magnification than your previous camera.

Really, people should have to take a class and pass a test before being able to unlock 100% viewing in image editors.

The raw files (once adobe released it's converter for Lightroom) had less lattidude or push ability compared to my full frame 5DII (at the time) and certainly compared to my previous 1.6x crop cameras.

Funny I didn't have that problem.

Upvote 0
Translation: you could pixel peep to a higher magnification than your previous camera.

Really, people should have to take a class and pass a test before being able to unlock 100% viewing in image editors.

Funny I didn't have that problem.

Actually I ran both concurrently...full frame and 1.6 crop...and on many workshops. Geeze...you really have an un-personable and condescending forum manner. I stated my experience with the 7D and you instantly dismiss me as some kind of forum troll or newbie. Go look me up.

So who are you and where are your photos?
Maybe you should take a class in how to carry weight on Canon rumors?
Lets see....no avatar...and no personal details or any about details either...and no portfolio images or postings to anything with any photographic content.

Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
Have you seriously got nothing better to do in Exeter than sit there at 11pm and make negative comments?
It's all part of the debate. I have a point of view based on my usage of a camera. Other have theirs. If it was one big circle jerk like the Canon DPReview forum it wouldn't be interesting would it? Also I comment late because I work late.

Upvote 0
Will one of them will have 70+ mp and the other will an 45- 50ish mp?
EOS 1R
70+mp
5-8 fps photos
1080p 120 fps
4k 24 30 & 60fps

EOS 5Ds/sr or 5D
45 or 50 mp
10-12 fps photos
1080 p 120fps
4K up to either 30 or 60fps
I know it's just chat about opinions, but don't you have those two the wrong way around: the 70+mp more likely to be 5D R version and lower mpix, higher frame-rate to be the EoS 1R ? :giggle:

Upvote 0
As a portrait photographer I am not interested in video-capability. I hoped for a basic professional grade mirrorless camera with a good high-dynamic range sensor, two card-slots, and eventually eye-tracking autofocus. That's it. I need to upgrade my two 5d3 bodies now, and I find myself reading reviews of metabones- or sigma-adapters!! (the bottom line is that next week I will test a Pentax K1 with the 77 mm because of its sensor. pffffff). Sell all my canon-lenses... One bird in hand is better than ten birds on the tree/canon pipeline? Can somebody give me good advice please?
My advice is go and try the R. I had 1DX (mk I) and 6D (mk I), which was replaced by R. After 2-3 weeks using I sold also 1DX and bought second R. Reasons? IQ - I don t have nay problems with - actualy it is really good since I see my exposure in EVF (I m shooting mostly wedding, proms, etc.); weigth and ergonomics; AF - simply far better than DX (for my purpose) - I have like 7 L lenses and finally I don t have to do microadjustments and all of them are now tack sharp. Eye AF works perfectly since last FW.

Only bad thing could be one card slot, but be honest I never had card failure. When I ll experience one, I ll change my mind.

I think, that it is really better than on the paper. But as usually it really depens on user. I can say, that I finally able to make pictures, that I wasn t able to do with previous combo. Like this:

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
My advice is go and try the R. I had 1DX (mk I) and 6D (mk I), which was replaced by R. After 2-3 weeks using I sold also 1DX and bought second R. Reasons? IQ - I don t have nay problems with - actualy it is really good since I see my exposure in EVF (I m shooting mostly wedding, proms, etc.); weigth and ergonomics; AF - simply far better than DX (for my purpose) - I have like 7 L lenses and finally I don t have to do microadjustments and all of them are now tack sharp. Eye AF works perfectly since last FW.

Only bad thing could be one card slot, but be honest I never had card failure. When I ll experience one, I ll change my mind.

I think, that it is really better than on the paper. But as usually it really depens on user. I can say, that I finally able to make pictures, that I wasn t able to do with previous combo. Like this:

View attachment 184440
Beautiful image!

Upvote 0
As a portrait photographer I am not interested in video-capability. I hoped for a basic professional grade mirrorless camera with a good high-dynamic range sensor, two card-slots, and eventually eye-tracking autofocus. That's it. I need to upgrade my two 5d3 bodies now, and I find myself reading reviews of metabones- or sigma-adapters!! (the bottom line is that next week I will test a Pentax K1 with the 77 mm because of its sensor. pffffff). Sell all my canon-lenses... One bird in hand is better than ten birds on the tree/canon pipeline? Can somebody give me good advice please?
Honestly, my best advice is just buy what you believe need and don't look back. If you feel that you're better served by the Pentax K1 then buy the Pentax K1. I'd just be sure that it solves your need - it certainly isn't going to have eye detect in the same format as the current mirrorless iterations, and I'd question the level of support it will continue to receive as I don't think they've been extremely active in releasing new lenses (though I could be wrong). I'd also verify how well the lenses perform via an adapter first, but if it's all good then go for it.

Everyone's needs are different, and no-one here is going to be able give solid advice without intimately knowing your needs. Most of those conversations seem to go like this:
Statement: "I need a camera with high DR, eye detect, and two card slots"
Response: "No you don't"

My best advice is to just honestly ask yourself which features will advance your photography hobby/business the most, identify which system best suits that need, then buy into that system. You won't need to second guess your decision if you select a system which has everything you actually need now.

For me, I use a 5D IV and it has yet to let me down. I can find just about any lens I could need without adapting, the image quality is great, and the thing has the reliability of a tank. Sure, a bit more DR might help occasionally, but honestly I can't think of even one photo that I missed because the DR was insufficient, and I shoot a lot of high DR scenes. But again, my needs are my needs and not everyone has the same needs.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
But how’s the autofocus?

With my Sigma MC-21 adapter it's ok. Not great but ok. It does the job. For fast shooting though, when I have to take a lot of pictures in a short amount of time with no fuss, the 7d mark II is still king. It's also the king for focus tracking and frame rate while producing decent image quality which is why I won't part with it. But for everything else the S1 reigns supreme. It's my "Art camera".

There is something I discovered about the S1's focus that I haven't seen discussed in any of the reviews. Everyone knows, or at least those in the know know, that the Sigma adapter doesn't do continuous AF. It's a bit of a setback for video shooting. However -- the single AF is still active during video recording and if the subject moves all you have to do is gently tap on the shutter release and it will refocus - and surprisingly I didn't see any hunting during the refocus. It moves straight to the new focus point. But what really impressed me is the way it refocuses. The focus transition is gentle, not a sudden jump, like in the movies where focus transitions gently between people having a conversation. No doubt this camera was designed with film makers in mind.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm a 5D IV shooter who wants a FF mirrorless with the same or better capabilities. I'd love to start using Rf glass, but I don't want to step down or buy a high-MP count sensor. Doubt I'm the only such customer. In the meantime, I can take great pics with the dSLR and legacy Ef lenses.

I’m sort of in the same situation as you. When the 5Dr series came out, I really wanted the high resolution, but not at the expense of why I bought the first 5D, or the second. So I waited until the IV came out, and bought that.

But I’m not a sports shooter, and my daughter is grown up, so I no longer need to shoot the somewhat unpredictable antics of a younger child.

Now, most of my shooting (when I’m not using my iPhone, that is), is more contemplative, so my previous needs have changed somewhat.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
With my Sigma MC-21 adapter it's ok. Not great but ok. It does the job. For fast shooting though, when I have to take a lot of pictures in a short amount of time with no fuss, the 7d mark II is still king. It's also the king for focus tracking and frame rate while producing decent image quality which is why I won't part with it. But for everything else the S1 reigns supreme. It's my "Art camera".

There is something I discovered about the S1's focus that I haven't seen discussed in any of the reviews. Everyone knows, or at least those in the know know, that the Sigma adapter doesn't do continuous AF. It's a bit of a setback for video shooting. However -- the single AF is still active during video recording and if the subject moves all you have to do is gently tap on the shutter release and it will refocus - and surprisingly I didn't see any hunting during the refocus. It moves straight to the new focus point. But what really impressed me is the way it refocuses. The focus transition is gentle, not a sudden jump, like in the movies where focus transitions gently between people having a conversation. No doubt this camera was designed with film makers in mind.

That's pretty lovely about the focus ability for video!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

View attachment 184440
Whilst i agree it is a nice picture i can’t for the life of me understand why you don’t believe you could have taken that with a 1DX or a 6D, or in fact pretty much any camera made in the last 15 years.

Upvote 0
Whilst i agree it is a nice picture i can’t for the life of me understand why you don’t believe you could have taken that with a 1DX or a 6D, or in fact pretty much any camera made in the last 15 years.
Because of AF and angle of view. It was shot like 5-10 cm above the puddle. Ok composing could be done due to live view on any old camera, but MY 1DX or 6D had really ba AF, when comes to live view performance. So ok, there is possibility, that I could do that with previous set up, but it would be really difficult for me. For me, personally, is tilt screen and DPAF game changer (it makes my life more easier with more consistent results).

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Geeze...you really have an un-personable and condescending forum manner.

Why? Because I challenged statements you made?

I stated my experience with the 7D and you instantly dismiss me as some kind of forum troll or newbie.

I did neither. To be clear: misinterpreting pixel peeping is a general problem regardless of experience level. You complained about "noise in blue skies at ISO 200". Well, magnify any crop sensor image from the time period to the same size as a pixel peeped 18mp image and you will get noise in blue skies.

So who are you and where are your photos?

You accuse me of making it personal which I did not, then try to make it personal. Maybe you should take a class in how to carry weight on Canon rumors?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Because of AF and angle of view. It was shot like 5-10 cm above the puddle. Ok composing could be done due to live view on any old camera, but MY 1DX or 6D had really ba AF, when comes to live view performance. So ok, there is possibility, that I could do that with previous set up, but it would be really difficult for me. For me, personally, is tilt screen and DPAF game changer (it makes my life more easier with more consistent results).
Thanks for replying. Yes DPAF is a very nice addition in all cameras, MILC and DSLR, post your 1DX and 6D generation, tilt screens aren’t exclusive to MILC’s either, so an 80D or 6D MkII would have been just as effective.

I suppose I was hoping you would have a compelling reason why an MILC camera could take the shot better than a DSLR, but it seems the features that facilitated it for you are readily available in DSLR’s too.

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying. Yes DPAF is a very nice addition in all cameras, MILC and DSLR, post your 1DX and 6D generation, tilt screens aren’t exclusive to MILC’s either, so an 80D or 6D MkII would have been just as effective.

I suppose I was hoping you would have a compelling reason why an MILC camera could take the shot better than a DSLR, but it seems the features that facilitated it for you are readily available in DSLR’s too.
Yes, defiitelly could be possible with 6D mk II (80D would have different, not so pleasing DOF), but I was comparing only my previous setup. So i went from DX (OLD, but still pro body) to R (NOT pro), but still I m benefiting from that change. That is also reason why I bought second R, and 28-70 and 50 are on the way :)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Yes, defiitelly could be possible with 6D mk II (80D would have different, not so pleasing DOF), but I was comparing only my previous setup. So i went from DX (OLD, but still pro body) to R (NOT pro), but still I m benefiting from that change. That is also reason why I bought second R, and 28-70 and 50 are on the way :)
In any event, you've shared a great shot, from capture to post. Thanks!

Upvote 0
EOS 1R
70+mp
5-8 fps photos
1080p 120 fps
4k 24 30 & 60fps

EOS 5Ds/sr or 5D
45 or 50 mp
10-12 fps photos
1080 p 120fps

it's actually hard to say IMO, it depends on what that second body really is. a sports shooter or a general purpose camera.

I doubt we'd see one around 70 and the other at 40-50 though.

I would assume that it would be around 70, and around 24. That's just based upon really a guess. but it's a lot easier to make seriously good grade video with a 20-30mp sensor than it ever would be with a 40-50. there's a reason all the very good hybrid stills/video cameras are around 24.

and forget any notion of the 70mp one having good 4k video, IMO. nor should it even be a focus of that camera.

I doubt any one of them is a 1 series camera either.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
EOS 1R
70+mp
5-8 fps photos
1080p 120 fps
4k 24 30 & 60fps

EOS 5Ds/sr or 5D
45 or 50 mp
10-12 fps photos
1080 p 120fps

I still hope for Canon to add 640x480 (yes, that's quite a crop) at 480fps or better to the menu. The used price for a Casio F1 continues to climb.

I am quite pleased with my 5D3, but I would appreciate something a bit smaller and lighter. The only reason I'm waiting/debating the original R is the prospect of IBIS. I think I would find that very helpful...actually, I am certain I would.

Not sure I need 70+mp. But then again, I'd have to try it and see if it provides me with enhanced capability, or if it proved a hindrance.

Until then, my 5D3 continues to perform completely satisfactorily.

Upvote 0