A few new Canon products have been cancelled due to the supply chain issues

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
May be with a few drops of CH2-OH ...
Best for people not to get their CH₃CH₂OH confused with CH₃COOH though when responding to things written in jest, the latter tends to stifle the sense of humour in forums, and imparts emotions similar to its taste! :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Best for people not to get their CH₃CH₂OH confused with CH₃COOH though when responding to things written in jest, the latter tends to stifle the sense of humour in forums, and imparts emotions similar to its taste! :LOL:
Better still to not confuse it with CH₃OH, because the liver enzyme that converts ethanol to acetaldehyde (which gives you the hangover headache) converts methanol to its corresponding aldehyde, namely formaldehyde (which has effects far more deleterious than a headache). A bit of vinegar isn’t so bad, especially when one is poaching eggs or dressing a salad.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Better still to not confuse it with CH₃OH, because the liver enzyme that converts ethanol to acetaldehyde (which gives you the hangover headache) converts methanol to its corresponding aldehyde, namely formaldehyde (which has effects far more deleterious than a headache). A bit of vinegar isn’t so bad, especially when one is poaching eggs or dressing a salad.
The enzyme that catalyses the reaction is very interesting in that the hydride transfer step has a contribution from quantum mechanical tunnelling.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
With formaldehyde on your poached eggs or salad, they'll never spoil, but flavour might not be so great, and there's the little issue that IARC would probably advise against it on the grounds of it being a group 1 human carcinogen. :(

Interestingly, there's a drug used against alcohol abuse, disulfiram, which inhibits the enzyme acetaldehyde dehydrogenase that oxidizes acetaldehyde into acetate, causing a build-up of acetaldehyde. If you take it and then drink alcohol, the hangover comes in 5-10 min. Ouch! :oops:

Upvote 0
With formaldehyde on your poached eggs or salad, they'll never spoil, but flavour might not be so great, and there's the little issue that IARC would probably advise against it on the grounds of it being a group 1 human carcinogen. :(

Interestingly, there's a drug used against alcohol abuse, disulfiram, which inhibits the enzyme acetaldehyde dehydrogenase that oxidizes acetaldehyde into acetate, causing a build-up of acetaldehyde. If you take it and then drink alcohol, the hangover comes in 5-10 min. Ouch! :oops:

"A few new Canon products have been cancelled due to the supply chain issues"

Someone that jumps in to this thread on page 4 will be completely confused.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Then I guess I shouldn't point out that technically, formaldehyde is a gas and it would be difficult to put on poached eggs or salad unless that gas is dissolved in water to create formalin (in which case it exists mainly as methanediol, CH₂(OH)₂). I say this as someone who has personally on many occasions heated paraformaldehyde (polymerized formaldehyde) powder in phosphate buffer to make neutral buffered formalin.

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Then I guess I shouldn't point out that technically, formaldehyde is a gas and it would be difficult to put on poached eggs or salad unless that gas is dissolved in water to create formalin (in which case it exists mainly as methanediol, CH₂(OH)₂). I say this as someone who has personally on many occasions heated paraformaldehyde (polymerized formaldehyde) powder in phosphate buffer to make neutral buffered formalin.
Ah, perhaps, if you want to be really, really, really specific! I'm not, as we're really pushing it with the chemistry discussion of ethanol and related compounds in a photography gear rumour website!!!

Fact is, both what you and I have mentioned are considered accepted usage.

From PubChem: "Formaldehyde is a colorless poisonous gas synthesized by the oxidation of methanol and used as an antiseptic, disinfectant, histologic fixative, and general-purpose chemical reagent for laboratory applications. Formaldehyde is readily soluble in water and is commonly distributed as a 37% solution in water; formalin, a 10% solution of formaldehyde in water, is used as a disinfectant..."

Most of the applications listed above appear to refer to aqueus solutions rather than use of the gaseous form.

On the PubChem Compound Summary page, the compound with the molecular formula CH₂O or H₂CO is listed with the following accepted synonyms: formaldehyde, formalin, methanal, paraformaldehyde, formol, and few more. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/formaldehyde

We're both right, depends how fine you like to split hair, for some, whole samples are sufficient, while others prefer to use a microtome! ;)

Thanks, I think we better get back to the topic of photography, hopefully our social service of promoting science education is well received! :)

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021

Agreed, apologies for going off on a tangent, this thread is about why Canon isn't shipping various cameras and lenses.

Three reasons:
  • Global pandemic disrupting supply chains at various levels.
  • Bad contingency planning by Canon not foreseeing possible shortages and stocking up. Other companies, such as some auto manufacturers have and aren't as badly impacted.
  • Canon marketing capitalising on the shortages and delays to create a greater sense of demand, and urgency to purchase. This plays on the psychological 'fear of missing out', a well-used marketing ploy to drive up pre-orders. Speculation is they may also be intentionally delaying some releases for the same reason.
I think that's all of it! :)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

On the PubChem Compound Summary page, the compound with the molecular formula CH₂O or H₂CO is listed with the following accepted synonyms: formaldehyde, formalin, methanal, paraformaldehyde, formol, and few more. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/formaldehyde

We're both right, depends how fine you like to split hair, for some, whole samples are sufficient, while others prefer to use a microtome! ;)
A most unfortunate use of metaphor of "split hair" when discussing formaldehyde. Aqueous formaldehyde is a protein cross-linking reagent, which will react with then protein keratin in hair, and is unfortunately used in some hair straightening procedures see: https://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/hair/advice/a1266/how-keratin-damages-hair/

Upvote 0
Seems to me like. They likely looked at the products they were planning and their ability to source components or alternates, and nothing cost effective worked, thus rather than just sitting and doing nothing and waiting to launch these products when they are out of date in a year or two but can finally be stocked, they are simply sending them back to the drawing board to more or less recreate the same product to launch in 1-2 years with the tech that will be available then. So for example they could consider finding an asic av1 encoder (though I dunno if one will be viable in time).

If they are for example having issues sourcing parts for R5, why would they wanna make anything that would share components.

it’s also possible they found a more cost effective way to implement the backlit sensor design from then R3 and decided it was worth iterating all their sensors rather than just waiting and releasing products they know won’t be competitive and will still struggle to be stocked to begin with.

As long as they don’t waste the time it ultimately means better cameras for us… eventually.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012

Rehab is for quitters.
;)

• Haha
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
So if ants crawl over you food, will that act like a preservative?

Upvote 0
I’m still trying to figure out “Mainland British.” I’ve been to the UK a number of times, but never did find the mainland.
To add to that, I'm a foreign national (Spanish) living in the UK for almost a decade.
I used to think that there was such a thing as British English , then I lived in Northern England, then in the South, then in the middle. . . .
If there's a British way of speaking English, please tell the brits, cause in some areas you drive 10 miles and you're presented with a whole new world :LOL:

Funny-ish anecdote, I lived in Lancashire for Uni, I still remember asking someone where the bus stop was ( Bus pronounced /bʌs/) and it took us a few tries until he said, "Oh the Bus stop! (pronounced /bʊs/). That broke my confidence in that I know how to speak English forever :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0