A higher end EOS M body is in the pipeline [CR1]

It’s not a perfect camera, but my M50 is the one I grab whenever I leave the house these days; I usually have the 55-200 attached and a stack of close-up lenses handy. My 6D Mark II “Big Boy” camera gets dusted off whenever I’m on a photo mission, but the size and weight of the M camera makes it more attractive much of the time. I realize the M6 II has a few performance advantages, but that external finder makes no sense; it’s just another expensive add-on. Also, as a still photographer, I use Canon’s fully articulated screen a lot; the simpler M6 screen would do me no good. Make me a better M50 and I’ll be interested; make an RF-M adapter and I’d be really interested.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

The M cameras seem too light / small for full-fledged flash units to me. Don't they appear top-heavy?
This is the reason why I really like the EX90 flash. It can be used as optical master to control slaves. So, no need to have a big flash or a big transmitter ontop of the EOS M series cameras.

Frank

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
This makes sense to me. Treat the M Mount line as the dedicated crop sensor line while supporting EF lenses. This move could remove the need for Canon to support the RF Mount on consumer grade cameras while providing the M Mount with a top end crop sensor model.

I never trusted the claims that had the M Mount dieing.

A great many of the 'claims' that the M mount was 'dying' have emanated from this very website.

I very much enjoy reading CR pretty much every day...but on their best day the CR 'staff', charitably speaking, seems to troll the M system.

The M format is simply wonderful for what it does...not the least of which is its appeal to younger, beginning photographers.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
New 7D??? So the R will be full frame, and M line to be the crop format?

That looks like what Canon is doing.
Not too sure that is a good strategy if someone wants both FF and APSC they will need two lens systems.
Big mistake.

• Sad
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Given Canon's apathy towards M mount, I would really like to see crop RF camera.

Exactly.
At this point the M series could piss users who do not understand that M and R have nothing in common except for the name. I would be really pissed buying an M and a couple of lenses then 3 years down the road I have to start over to go FF.
Nikon has it right this time as far as mirrorless in keeping APSC and FF on the same mount.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Exactly.
At this point the M series could piss users who do not understand that M and R have nothing in common except for the name. I would be really pissed buying an M and a couple of lenses then 3 years down the road I have to start over to go FF.
Nikon has it right this time as far as mirrorless in keeping APSC and FF on the same mount.

...nahhh...the R mount is best for what it does...and the M mount, too, is best for what it does.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...if someone wants both FF and APSC they will need two lens systems...

This is further evidence that we need to take Canon at their word that the EF lens system isn't going anywhere. A higher end M body makes sense only in a world where customers can buy EF lenses that will work on all Canon bodies.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
That looks like what Canon is doing.
Not too sure that is a good strategy if someone wants both FF and APSC they will need two lens systems.
Big mistake.
Having owned both EF FF and M cameras, I never once wanted to use a large EF lens on my M camera. M is meant for those looking for small and light. It might be a mistake, but I think not. If you want two very different sized systems, you will gladly get the right lenses for each system, in my opinion.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
This is further evidence that we need to take Canon at their word that the EF lens system isn't going anywhere. A higher end M body makes sense only in a world where customers can buy EF lenses that will work on all Canon bodies.
People on forums seem to forget that more DSLRs were sold last year than mirrorless. In Canon's case, my guess is that they still sell a LOT more DSLR cameras and lenses. So, I doubt that EF lenses will be going away any time soon. I am not convinced that Canon will sell more mirrorless than DSLRs in the next 3-5 years. When the 5D V is released it will be very interesting to see if they sell more 5D V's or R5's. My guess is that the 5D V will still sell more, but chances are we will never know those specific numbers.

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
I am pleased Canon looks like continuing the EOS M series range, there is clearly a place for them in the market. Unlike Sony and other brands the M series is so different to each other for example every M body is totally different i.e. M5, M6, M50 and M200, some have EVR’s some don’t, some have tilty flippy screens, some have pull out screens, they vary in size and weight and it’s obvious they have a very good following.

Second-hand values particularly on the M200 and M50 are extraordinarily strong I have been watching on eBay and even the prior models to the M200 i.e. M100 and M10 make incredible money when sold used and as for used M50’s well they are almost making current new price.

I do like the sound of an M7 an enthusiast sports camera, but we are all just having fun guessing right now

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK

Only to a certain point, keeping the same mount means Nikon cannot make a small compact crop sensor camera from the Z mount.

Nikon Z’s will basically all look much the same because of the mount size. This could be good if someone wants a larger and possibly more durable crop sensor camera, but those days many of the people who buy APSC cameras want small and compact cameras with lenses to match, this isn’t going to happen on a Z mount.

It is easier to make a larger body around a small mount rather than make a small body around a larger mount.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

GadgetDave

All the cameras
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2016
Interesting, what do you like about the M6II over the 5DIV?

I can't speak for the OP, but I have a similar experience. I still use my 5DIV regularly (especially in quarantine time projects), but the M6II is fantastic. If it was the M5II with the same performance, and integrated EVF and still a hot shoe, it would be about the perfect travel camera. When I need to be VERY light the 18-150 is a one-lens solution, if I have a little space then you can throw in things like the 11-22 (optically very good), the sigma 30mm f/1.4, etc. But I can fit that in almost any suitcase for a trip (work or other), and have a very full-featured camera, where as travelling with the 5D and a couple of lenses means compromises elsewhere.

Upvote 0
For people wondering if this would be a 7D II replacement.....

Where are the native lenses that would support such a camera?

Yeah sure no argument adapted lenses just work. But as Canon well knows, 7D's sold a LOT of top end glass. And that's why it wont happen on the M-mount. If a real 7D III is coming it's RF.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0