A new EOS Rebel is coming this month, possibly an EOS Rebel T8i or entry level EOS M camera[CR1]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...i'd not be surprised if many of those shipped rebel class dslrs are bulldozed or shreddered in the back of some warehouses once they are 2 generations old and still have failed to sell even with all sorts of cash-backs and Black Friday special offers.

Huh? That's beyond crazy.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
DSLR sales are in free fall. Especially low-end DSLRs. Only the most ignorant BestBuy and CostCo n00bs are still buying Rebel class DSLRs. Many more households already have 1, 2 or 3 "Rebels" along with kit zoom stowed away in some drawer and are using their phonecameras for all those senseless selfies and shaky videos (but "in 4k" of course). because those rebels are too bulky and too clumsy. that's reality.
It's super funny how the CR seniority system labels you as a T7i next to your poseur rant against Rebels.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Seems to me that at least one potential purpose of the "next" Rebel is simply to have a "latest model" available for marketing purposes.

I'd expect most Rebels to be purchased either by people new to 'serious' photography, i.e. their first step into interchangeable lens territory, or perhaps by colleges.

For a number of first adopters (and I know a few, as I often get asked by people buying their first SLR) £250-350 is a lot of money - it's a new fridge, dishwasher, washing machine budget. For them, getting "the latest model" is an important part of the choice of what to purchase - the same reason that car manufacturers release new versions of essentially the same model every 4 years or so.

For someone making (for them) a significant consumer purchase, ensuring they buy something that will not shortly become obsolete (due to apparently being superseded - more experienced customers know it isn't actually obsolete ) really does seem to feature in their decision making. It should't matter, but it does. (Caveat: my limited experience of 'newbies' only).

If it is a new DSLR, I'd expect a refreshed model, with latest updates for features that are either as cheap, or better still cheaper, to manufacture, for the simple reason of being able to offer a "latest model" to new/future customers.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...For someone making (for them) a significant consumer purchase, ensuring they buy something that will not shortly become obsolete (due to apparently being superseded - more experienced customers know it isn't actually obsolete ) really does seem to feature in their decision making...

Generally agree, but I think the more likely concern is not that people are worried that a camera will become obsolete. More likely, they just want to buy the latest model. I believe that these days, many people treat cameras like other consumer electronics. I know my own behavior about most electronics is: go to the store. Look at the TVs. Can't tell them apart. The clerk says, "this one is the 2019 model. That one is the 2018 model." They are about the same price. I buy the 2019 model. It's newer, maybe it has something that the old model doesn't.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Generally agree, but I think the more likely concern is not that people are worried that a camera will become obsolete. More likely, they just want to buy the latest model. I believe that these days, many people treat cameras like other consumer electronics. I know my own behavior about most electronics is: go to the store. Look at the TVs. Can't tell them apart. The clerk says, "this one is the 2019 model. That one is the 2018 model." They are about the same price. I buy the 2019 model. It's newer, maybe it has something that the old model doesn't.
Great point. You have to take your advanced photographic experience and knowledge out of the equation here when talking about this level of purchasing, you just did it but it is very difficult for others on CR as we have read. We see cameras for something greater than the average Joe(y). So we fetishize them, critique them and scrutinize them in the most ridiculous ways. Regular folks, just go and do what Unfocused said...walk in, look at the price point, ask 1-2 questions (maybe) and get rung up. Joeys =$$$$$. $$$$$ gives Canon R&D $$$$ to create the less than 1% of total sales items which is what WE buy. Thank you Joey.

Upvote 0

hamish

Canon 7D II
CR Pro
Apr 15, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
I'd expect most Rebels to be purchased either by people new to 'serious' photography, i.e. their first step into interchangeable lens territory, or perhaps by colleges.

For a number of first adopters (and I know a few, as I often get asked by people buying their first SLR) £250-350 is a lot of money - it's a new fridge, dishwasher, washing machine budget. For them, getting "the latest model" is an important part of the choice of what to purchase - the same reason that car manufacturers release new versions of essentially the same model every 4 years or so.

I agree with both of these statements. I have a 200D (Rebel SL2, Kiss X9). It's a step above the basic entry-level. I also bought a Canon 18-135mm IS STM lens, second hand from eBay, which maxed out my budget at the time. I travelled for 3 months backpacking in Africa and Europe and took some pretty good photos.

I've since added the 55-250mm lens and the 24mm prime (both second hand from eBay again) and enjoy using it. I find the 9 point optical AF pretty limiting, especially for birds, so am looking for an upgrade at some point, maybe to the M5 II or 90D which look interesting.

So, yes, a "Rebel" is a perfectly good day-to-day camera, and is also a good intro to the world of ILCs. For me, it's a stepping stone to better gear, at some point when I can afford it. Unless FF comes right down in price, I'm going to be looking firmly at the M series and the APS-Cs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This has been a fun chat. Lol

Yes, indeed. Slcklick and others theoretising about average joy buying his next hamburger, not understanding the basic message of those complaining and answering the questions noone asked. Everybody and your mom knows, that most ppl buy stuff without emotional attachement. So why state the obvious? The basic message was not about why the world needs another Rebel. But why the world needs it NOW? So competition announces e.g. A7R IV and Canon is expected to come up with exactly what - next Rebel? Really great marketing reaction then ....

• Haha
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
So competition announces e.g. A7R IV and Canon is expected to come up with exactly what - next Rebel? Really great marketing reaction then ....

In Canon's defense, the Rebel is probably better weather sealed.

All joking aside: you know darn well Canon's answer to the A7R IV is coming. We've only had a dozen rumor posts about it.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Because many need an inexpensive, reliable , simple to use camera with good ergonomics and friendly menu, that delivers nice images in a reasonable conditions that is also Is repairable in 4-5 years from now. Bang!

nobody will repair cheap, low-end digital cameras 4-5 years down the road. cost of labour is way to high.

inexpensive, functionally capable, excellent IQ, highly compact mirrorfree EOS M cameras are "by design" mechanically way more robust and reliable than any "Rebel with slapping mirror inside" which don't even offer AFMA to correct for minor AF misalignments.

Nobody disputes that Canon Rebel DSLRs and EF-S glass were an excellent entry point into photography 10 years ago. but today, in 2019 they are simply totally antiquated tech and mirrorfree EOS M plus great, well-affordable EF-M lenses is the only crop sensor system Canon needs to offer to get new buyers into their ecosystem and retain market leadership.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The basic message was not about why the world needs another Rebel. But why the world needs it NOW? So competition announces e.g. A7R IV and Canon is expected to come up with exactly what - next Rebel? Really great marketing reaction then ....
Because Sony is a distant third place in ILC market share, and Canon feels no need to care about their release schedules?

Because Sony’s FF MILC releases are like a sunrise – sometimes they’re pretty but they happen really frequently so after a while you start to just take them for granted?

Because far, far more people buy APS-C DSLRs than FF MILCs?

Shall I go on?

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
So why state the obvious? The basic message was not about why the world needs another Rebel. But why the world needs it NOW?
Why not?

So competition announces e.g. A7R IV and Canon is expected to come up with exactly what - next Rebel? Really great marketing reaction then ....
Why should Canon change their Rebel release schedule with Sony's release of A7R series?

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
nobody will repair cheap, low-end digital cameras 4-5 years down the road. cost of labour is way to high.

inexpensive, functionally capable, excellent IQ, highly compact mirrorfree EOS M cameras are "by design" mechanically way more robust and reliable than any "Rebel with slapping mirror inside" which don't even offer AFMA to correct for minor AF misalignments.

Nobody disputes that Canon Rebel DSLRs and EF-S glass were an excellent entry point into photography 10 years ago. but today, in 2019 they are simply totally antiquated tech and mirrorfree EOS M plus great, well-affordable EF-M lenses is the only crop sensor system Canon needs to offer to get new buyers into their ecosystem and retain market leadership.
AvTvM ? :D yet another incarnation of mirror-slapping Oracle.

ok. i will address just this:

+++ "Rebel with slapping mirror inside" which don't even offer AFMA to correct for minor AF misalignments.

SGSM: Rebel audience would not have a clue about AFMA and its existence. in addition, these people typically shoot with kit zoom lenses with somewhat slow aperture. DOF likely to take care of any AFMA issues if any.
majority would use camera in "A" (fully automatic) mode anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0