A question for 5dmk3 and 1dx owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

bornshooter

Love L series glass
Jul 13, 2011
scotland
www.flickr.com
Ok this may have been asked before if so i apologise.Who uses all the points on there cameras or do you still focus and recompose?i personally since getting my 5d3 and 1dx have been using all the points even the outer ones,but i think scrolling through the points can take time which can lead to missed moments so i am thinking in some situations to use focus and recompose again.What is your methods?

Like DJL329 I often use the multi-controller to select the AF point. I'm often in 1+8 expansion, sometimes zone. When I'm doing AI-Servo, I usually use all AF points. In AI-Servo it has 1 AF point available to start with, you can move it around with the multi-controller, and then once you start the AF it will being tracking what you first put the AF point over as best as it can, based on the settings you have in that particular AF case you selected.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
5D3 guy here. There is no hard rule, but I go by a fairly simple guideline.

If I am within a fairly large working DOF for the thing I am shooting at (or if there is no discernible subject in the photo), I center point focus (usually the 'plus' shaped cluster) and recompose. If I am doing anything with shallow DOF (crudely, in the F/4 to F/1.4 end of things, but it obviously depends on distance & focal length), I will locate the focus point off to what I care about and do not recompose.

• A slight tweak to the above guideline: Kids / pets / jumpy subjects might require more AF points in your cluster or even flat-out stopping your aperture down as you don't know where they will be when you pull the trigger.

A general exception would be large DOF tripod work. Recomposing is a small chore with a tripod, so I typically frame the shot I want, switch to LiveView, aim the AF about 1/3 of the way into the frame as the hyperfocal folks might coach, use the AF there, and then shoot. But, to be fair, I often will manually focus on those as well.

I won't speak to AI Servo use -- I don't typically shoot sports, moving cars, birds, etc. This forum has ringers for that.

- A

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
Yes, the 5DMK II Bad Habits, great Camera, loved it, but that Focus System for me led to some bad habits, Centre Point Focus then recompose being the biggest bad habit, but the Centre Point is the only point worth using, so you work with what you have.

The 5DMK III & 1Dx with the 61 Point system, allows me to dispense with the Bad Habit of recompose, for those that recompose works for, more power to you, really, but I've simply found recompose when ever it's used invariably deals slight out of focus into the Image.

Like others in previous Posts, I use a single point Focus then move the Point in the frame to match the area I want to Focus on, generally on Single Point spot for static objects, single shot. Then for anything else AI Servo it's mostly single Point & set for 61 point so once I lock on I have a reasonable chance that the system will track, I tweek the release/tracking/focus priority settings dependent on what the situation needs.

I still shoot the 5DMK II on single point & recompose as I converted one of my 5DMK II's to Infra Red Sensor, so the Bad Habits do persist.

Upvote 0

bornshooter

Love L series glass
Jul 13, 2011
scotland
www.flickr.com
eml58 said:
Yes, the 5DMK II Bad Habits, great Camera, loved it, but that Focus System for me led to some bad habits, Centre Point Focus then recompose being the biggest bad habit, but the Centre Point is the only point worth using, so you work with what you have.

The 5DMK III & 1Dx with the 61 Point system, allows me to dispense with the Bad Habit of recompose, for those that recompose works for, more power to you, really, but I've simply found recompose when ever it's used invariably deals slight out of focus into the Image.

Like others in previous Posts, I use a single point Focus then move the Point in the frame to match the area I want to Focus on, generally on Single Point spot for static objects, single shot. Then for anything else AI Servo it's mostly single Point & set for 61 point so once I lock on I have a reasonable chance that the system will track, I tweek the release/tracking/focus priority settings dependent on what the situation needs.

I still shoot the 5DMK II on single point & recompose as I converted one of my 5DMK II's to Infra Red Sensor, so the Bad Habits do persist.
yeah the 5dmk2 i guess made a lot of us get into this bad habit as the other points were pretty much useless lol maybe i will just stick with my joystick method but maybe have a wee go at a couple of frames with focus and recompose :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.