Added ads and more added adds, what gives?

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The ads almost completely cover the screen on mobile devices. They will ultimately lose traffic and ad revenue and it will be hard to get users back. Too bad, many sites have made the same mistake and are out or have less than 1/10th of prior users.
You get what you pay for. I get no ads on mobile or desktop. It's a little disingenuous to complain about ads when it's less than $2 a month to get rid of them.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have a website for another of my hobbies. It's free to use and has no ads or links on it. And you know, I lose money on it. Not much though, as I wrote the code for it myself, and it looks even far less professional than Ken Rockwell's. So it costs only a cheap hosting fee of a few pounds a year.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

snapshot

5d2,5d4,r5
CR Pro
Jul 24, 2020
Even as CR-Pro we get adds. Many of the articles high light new gear, stock notices and sale notifications. These articles have links that bring you to canon or adorama or where ever. As they are generally related to photography, I find them to be informative and I assume they are productive. They behave like articles, so I can scroll to more articles and they move off my screen. I dislike ads that pop-up, have moving elements, make noises or force interaction. I NEVER patronize these sorts of ads -- and will stop interacting with web sites that feature pop-ups, noise and forced interaction.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I have a website for another of my hobbies. It's free to use and has no ads or links on it. And you know, I lose money on it. Not much though, as I wrote the code for it myself, and it looks even far less professional than Ken Rockwell's. So it costs only a cheap hosting fee of a few pounds a year.
That's how the web is supposed to be. Not every website needs to be a business and many that are treated as businesses really need to get back to the core of what they where trying to be.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, CR has reached a new low. On my mobile device every time I go to this site I now get scam "You Have Won" redirects which overtake the site and can't be closed except by exiting the browser. And, yes, it only on Canon Rumors, not other sites. Excellent strategy CRGuy, make it impossible for people to read your site.

• Wow
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Fully agree. This is how it looks like on my phone. Maybe 33% is the website. Ads are needed, sure… but this makes me feel it’s time to say bye bye…
View attachment 212973
I sometimes get ads at the bottom of the screen that don't close if I try to x it away, making it impossible to access the menu at the bottom of my phone.

Upvote 0

snapshot

5d2,5d4,r5
CR Pro
Jul 24, 2020
If I were running a web-site i would want to make sure no more than 1/4 of the screen was ad content at any time. also i would need to make sure there are no ads that popup or try to take over a tab. TBH the links to cool photography stuff and deals seem like they should produce pretty good click rates. Too bad those are not sufficient.

Upvote 0
Thought I'd pop in see what's happening in Canon Land - anyways, this site has become horrible on mobile . 2/3rds of the screen covered in ads! The bottom section keeps coming back too, despite clicking the "x"

I get that sites need funding.... But this is overkill. At some point 90% of the screen is ads, see attached image!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231226-011022.png
    Screenshot_20231226-011022.png
    719.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Wow
Upvote 0