Advice on low light indoor sports photo's

dto8.jpg

Hi,

I've taken this picture at a judo tournament using a Canon 50D with a Canon 24-70 f/2.8 (mark I). I had to shoot at ISO 3200 because of the bad light. This adds a lot of noise to the picture.

I'm mainly shooting football (a.k.a. soccer) and judo pictures. I'm thinking of buying the Canon 70D. I hope the noise will be less at higher ISO values. I also like the fact that it's faster than the 50D.

I would like to hear from you if the 70D is a big improvement coming from the 50D or that I'm better of buying a lens with a bigger aperture.

Thank you,

Hans

Jul 21, 2010
If you shoot in RAW, you'll see very little improvement in the high ISO noise - I expect you'd need to look at a FF body for the improvement you seek.

A faster lens would be better, but you'll lose the flexibility of a zoom, and may not have enough DoF at really wide apertures.

Unfortunately, there's no easy (or cheap!) solution.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
I thought the 60/70D were better with grain at higher iso's... I am probably wrong about that though.

I'd suggest getting the white balance right. Get a white styrofoam cup and when in post, put the white balance dropper on the cup. It does a really nice job of getting the right white balance.

Once you o that... I'd also suggest a faster lens. There are some decent options like the 100mm f/2 or an 85mm f/1.8 that you can shoot wide open and still get solid results.

Also... are you allowed flash. Because that combined with HSS would be helpful.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Whilst I agree with Neuro, a ff camera is going to give you a couple of stops less noise, I would point out there is a different route.

I just cleaned this up in Topaz DeNoise 5, modern software has given us a couple more stops of usable iso and is a lot cheaper than a new camera!

Also I did the white balance on the doors as they are far enough away from the red mat to not get the bad colour reflection the fighters have, a good case for B&W!

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 1,054
Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions.

I was already afraid that there are no cheap solutions. Although I would like to buy a 5D mark III. I'm afraid, my wife won't let me. ;)

I always shoot with auto white balance. I'll try to find out how to manually determine and select the right white balance.

I like the results achieved with Topaz DeNoise. I will look into that.

I've read that using flash is usually not allowed because it might distract the players. That's why I don't use my flash.

I guess it depends on the level of the event. At this tournament, I saw someone from the judo-club that organized the tournament use a flash. I could have used mine as well.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
I know that is the reflection coming off the mat, but I still want to fix that. I'd rather the people be in correct white balance than the doors even if it doesn't reflect reality.

what is nice about shooting indoors is you can adjust your settings once and not have to worry about cloud coverage completely changing your changing your shutter speed and white balance.

I presume you are shooting in raw ands using light room.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
jdramirez said:
I know that is the reflection coming off the mat, but I still want to fix that. I'd rather the people be in correct white balance than the doors even if it doesn't reflect reality.

what is nice about shooting indoors is you can adjust your settings once and not have to worry about cloud coverage completely changing your changing your shutter speed and white balance.

The problem with the reflection is that it is not a WB issue, it is a selective colour cast issue and is not fixable without a selection. The point of taking the WB off the doors, it is just normalising the overall colour, including the tops of the fighters.

But anyway, for individual images the quick select tool makes a short enough job of basic tasks like this, but I'd hate to have to do an entire event!

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 915
Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
privatebydesign said:
jdramirez said:

The problem with the reflection is that it is not a WB issue, it is a selective colour cast issue and is not fixable without a selection. The point of taking the WB off the doors, it is just normalising the overall colour, including the tops of the fighters.

But anyway, for individual images the quick select tool makes a short enough job of basic tasks like this, but I'd hate to have to do an entire event!

I don't believe I'm familiar with the quick select tool, or is that the paint brush over the two and then adjusting the saturation over the white?

I probably should go and watch me how to video again...

Upvote 0
thearsenal said:
dto8.jpg

Hi,

I've taken this picture at a judo tournament using a Canon 50D with a Canon 24-70 f/2.8 (mark I). I had to shoot at ISO 3200 because of the bad light. This adds a lot of noise to the picture.

I'm mainly shooting football (a.k.a. soccer) and judo pictures. I'm thinking of buying the Canon 70D. I hope the noise will be less at higher ISO values. I also like the fact that it's faster than the 50D.

I would like to hear from you if the 70D is a big improvement coming from the 50D or that I'm better of buying a lens with a bigger aperture.

Thank you,

Hans

Agree with others that you won't get much high iSO improvement going from a 50 to 70. the new 6d would get you roughly 1 1/2 stops of high ISO improvement over the 50 d....for not that much more than a the cost of a 70d.

Buying a 50 or 85 prime and shooting at f2 would get you 1 stop of improvement.

I would get the lens and save for the body. The 85 1.8 is a good lens choice for indoor sports like this.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
jdramirez said:
I don't believe I'm familiar with the quick select tool, or is that the paint brush over the two and then adjusting the saturation over the white?

It is here in PS, often hiding behind the Magic Wand tool.

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 882
Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
privatebydesign said:
jdramirez said:

It is here in PS, often hiding behind the Magic Wand tool.

I don't use photo shop... but I used to back in the 90's... I'm guessing things have improved since Clinton was in office.

Upvote 0

Sella174

So there!
Mar 19, 2013
Suid-Afrika
thearsenal said:

What f-stop did you use? In my humble opinion, you've got way too much depth of field there, which makes me think you did not photographed this at 70mm f/2.8 ...

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Sella174 said:
thearsenal said:

What f-stop did you use? In my humble opinion, you've got way too much depth of field there, which makes me think you did not photographed this at 70mm f/2.8 ...

I was guessing he was a good distance away from the action and cropped the composition... which would explain the depth of field while at f2.8.

Upvote 0
Once again, thanks for all the suggestions.

I was shooting at f 2.8. I was almost sitting on the tatami (unfortunately that's not always the case). I cropped the image.

I've read that the 6D isn't really considered suitable for sports because of its AF and low continuous shooting rate.

It will be hard to decide which lens with fixed focal length will be most suitable for my needs.

Upvote 0