Advise please.. lens or body..

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Airvoid

Hi, i am kinda new to photography.. Ive been shooting my 7d for about 2 yrs now.. Now i have been thinking about buying either a 5d mk iii or two lens 24-70 L and a 35 L.. Right now i have a 70-200 2.8 l ii and 85 1.2 ii and a 50 1.2... And my 7d... I ve been meaning to buy some lower(closer) lens because i dont have anything really in that range, but ive been wanting a full frame after using my friends 5d mk ii... What do guys think is best? Mk iii or 2 lens? Thx

Mar 14, 2012
5DIII. It'll give you better high ISO performance for dim areas, and make all the lenses more useful for "normal" photography.

If you're open to the idea, you could consider a 5DII and the 24L or 35L, which would give you 24 or 35, 50, 85 and 70-200. With primes at 24 or 35, 50 and your 70-200 zoom, might not need the 24-70. You could also get an 1.4x extender further along the road if you don't shoot near 300 that much.

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
Airvoid said:
...either a 5d mk iii or two lens 24-70 L and a 35 L.. Right now i have a 70-200 2.8 l ii and 85 1.2 ii and a 50 1.2... And my 7d... I ve been meaning to buy some lower(closer) lens because i dont have anything really in that range...

When you say "lower (closer)" do you mean wider? If so, how wide do you need? If you chose the 24-70 option with your 7D, 24 is really not wide (38mm FF), just wider.

How about the 5D3 plus the 24-70 then sell your 7D if needed to help fund it. That leaves you with an extremely nice setup that many (including myself) would lust over:

5D3
- 24-70
- 50L
- 85L
- 70-200 2.8

Of course this is assuming that the 5D suits your shooting style/needs better than the 7D.

Upvote 0
Airvoid said:
Hi, i am kinda new to photography.. Ive been shooting my 7d for about 2 yrs now.. Now i have been thinking about buying either a 5d mk iii or two lens 24-70 L and a 35 L.. Right now i have a 70-200 2.8 l ii and 85 1.2 ii and a 50 1.2... And my 7d... I ve been meaning to buy some lower(closer) lens because i dont have anything really in that range, but ive been wanting a full frame after using my friends 5d mk ii... What do guys think is best? Mk iii or 2 lens? Thx

Another option is to split the difference and try a 5DII + 35L. You could go with a 5DIII, you'd have nothing at the wide end but you don't really seen ti have anything at the wide end now either unless there's some EF-S lens you own that you didn't mention.

Upvote 0
Depends on what kind of shooting you do, if you need the range then I'd stick with the 7D (even though I'm not a fan of it). If you don't need the range, nor the focus or burst then get a 5DII and a 35L. If you don't need the range but want to keep the AF and burst (almost) the get the 5DIII.

The difference in image quality between the 5D and 7D are quite big, especially when you already have a nice set of glass.

Upvote 0
A

Airvoid

Thanks all for the wonderful input. I do have two other lenses. I think the 24-115 3.5-5.6 that came with the 7d and a 17-55 2.8. But I think I got dust inside my 17-55, so I think I will be selling that one and getting an L lenses and not have that dust issue. I have a 1.4x converter as well.

I usually do a lot of street photography/portraits and some bird watching when I have time. I'm really trying to learn how to do some landscaping that's why I wanted some real wider-angle lenses. I want to eventually get a tilt-shift lens, but thought that since I do portraits and street photography more it'll probably be better to get something in the 24-35 mm range.

So it seems that the consensus is to go with the 5d mk iii. I will definitely look into that once they are restocked. If its 3 months from now maybe I can get both a lens and the body :)

Upvote 0
S

smirkypants

Airvoid said:
Thanks all for the wonderful input. I do have two other lenses. I think the 24-115 3.5-5.6 that came with the 7d and a 17-55 2.8. But I think I got dust inside my 17-55, so I think I will be selling that one and getting an L lenses and not have that dust issue. I have a 1.4x converter as well.

I usually do a lot of street photography/portraits and some bird watching when I have time. I'm really trying to learn how to do some landscaping that's why I wanted some real wider-angle lenses. I want to eventually get a tilt-shift lens, but thought that since I do portraits and street photography more it'll probably be better to get something in the 24-35 mm range.

So it seems that the consensus is to go with the 5d mk iii. I will definitely look into that once they are restocked. If its 3 months from now maybe I can get both a lens and the body :)
Make sure you keep the 7D for when you want to shoot birds.

Upvote 0
N

nickbj05

You have some great lenses and more lenses are always great. They also hold their value better. However, from my experience, going to a full-frame was almost a better upgrade than any lens I've purchased. There is nothing wrong with going with a 5D MKI or MKII and buying more glass with the money saved. Sure, the MKIII is even more awesome, but for most things you won't notice much of a difference between it and the older ones.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Airvoid said:

My 2cents:
5D III + 35L + 50L + 70-200 L IS II

Sell your 7D + 85L

Upvote 0
Airvoid said:

Full frame will give you 1.5-2x the lens resolution of crop and 2-4 times less noise at the same DOF ISO and composition.

There is no question that going full frame will be much better than getting new lenses.

Upvote 0
I have the 7D and was very happy with it...until I started using my new 5D3. I have some decent glass so the choice was easy for me. Bit even if I didnt have all the glass id still recommend upgrading the body. I do disagree with some though that say to get the 5D2. I used that one for a while. And after the 7D it just feels antiquated. The images may be nicer but the camera is no joy to use. Compared to the 7D the auto focus blows. And the 5D3 is even better yet. so my opinion is either the glass or the 5D3. Cant go wrong either way. But if you shoot low light, which i do most of the time the 5D3 is King! The 70-200 is II paired with it is just amazing. The images with that combo are about as good as it gets. Good luck with your choice!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.