An APS-C RF mount prototype is currently in the wild [CR2]

riker

5D4
Jan 19, 2015
riker.hu
I still hate the idea of APS-C RF.
In my ideal dream world RF is FF, M is APS-C. And M is taken more seriously and of course u can mount RF lenses to M with adapter.
OOOOOOOR APS-C RF becomes the new M, bodies are even smaller and lighter than RP and RF-S lenses are introduced. Now THAT would be nice and actually that is a proper conversion from EF/EF-S. I'm keeping fingers crossed.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Kellner

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Wonderful news. I love my R but I still use my 7D mk ii a lot for both the crop (I now have the rf 100-500 so that’s less of a reason now) and especially the autofocus. Having two different buttons for back button focus with different focus modes (spot vs area) allows me to get better shots of stationary subjects that decide to move (birds, kids, sports). I am assuming I can do this with the R5 but that’s out of my range currently. I’m afraid I wouldn’t have enough room to crop so the R6 doesn’t really fit my needs. This mythical R7 doesn’t need to be small or cheap, it needs to be high performance aps-c to fit my usage so that’s what I’m hoping for. I could see them going more cheaper and smaller, and that may fit a lot of people’s needs as well. But just not mine.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Makes sense that the higher-spec-ed camera will come out before an entry-level model.

I wonder if Canon will support R-mount APSC with some lenses. Maybe a revamped 17-55/2.8? It's about time this lens gets an upgrade, and at this point they might as well make it R mount. EF-S is pretty much dead now. R would be looking to the future, EF-S to the past.

If not, I suppose we'll be mounting old EF-S glass with R-EF adapters.
My guess is (hey, its a rumors site isn't it?) that there will be some non-L lenses that straddle the line between APSC and low end FF lenses. Like the 24-240 which isn't really making a FF image circle until about 35mm, and some of the patented lenses that we've seen posted here that appear to do the same. These would easily cover an APSc sensor with room to get a bunch of IS/IBIS performance though, and be smaller and lighter. But still clip on to an R or RP and provide a good image with software correction.

With no mirror to make smaller and allow a lens to get closer to the sensor, I don't think you'll see any RF-s only lenses. Too confusing, and since the price difference between the APSc and low end FF RF cameras is going to be lower that the EF history has been, I think you'd want your entry level lenses to allow easy upgrades to FF. I could be wrong though.

-Brian

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Not everyone wants smaller and lighter, especially when it comes to a camera body. No one would want to shoot an EOS M6 with a 600 f/4 if they can help it.

If Canon is making an RF mount EOS 7D as the R7 suggests, then that's a camera for people that use bigger lenses... and bigger lenses are usually more comfortable with bigger bodies.
But one of the benefits of using APS-C is that you can use shorter lenses to achieve the same magnification. Somehow I doubt that very many people buying long, heavy and fast lenses, which are also quite expensive, are going to be using them on an APS-C body. Yes, I know, a few will. But Canon isn’t making this for a few people like that. If you look at the lens lineups Canon, Nikon, and even Sony have for APS-C, it’s pitiful when compared to their full frame lineups. I’m talking about DSLR’s, because they’ve been out for two decades now.

Upvote 0
Since the point of smaller sensors is to have smaller and lighter cameras and lenses, I’m not sure what the point is to putting an APS-C sensor in a FF body.

I agree 100%

Canon Marketing: We should make an APS-C RF mount camera since we're abandoning our most popular line.
Canon Accounting: Sounds great but we can't allocate one dollar to it's development so you'll need to take an existing camera and just change the sensor.
Canon Marketing: That's fine but we'll have to disable some things to keep people from buying it or it will hurt the sales of our other cameras.
Canon Executives: That sounds fantastic, let's do it. Looks like I get another bonus.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
But one of the benefits of using APS-C is that you can use shorter lenses to achieve the same magnification. Somehow I doubt that very many people buying long, heavy and fast lenses, which are also quite expensive, are going to be using them on an APS-C body. Yes, I know, a few will. But Canon isn’t making this for a few people like that. If you look at the lens lineups Canon, Nikon, and even Sony have for APS-C, it’s pitiful when compared to their full frame lineups. I’m talking about DSLR’s, because they’ve been out for two decades now.
Well, do you expect everybody who wants to get the most out of their high end tele lens to also buy an R5s (probably more expensive than the R5), and be content with 10-ish FPS, when even the lowly 90D and M6 II can deliver much more than that at the same pixel density (reach) and far, far lower prices?

If there is a place for APS-C in the RF lineup, I think it is in the high end, for folks that really can't have enough reach and speed. A smaller physical shutter simply makes it less difficult to offer 1 series speeds at less than 5 series prices.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

And people act like every single photographer wants to attach a 500mm lens to the front of a camera and there's no reason to use one otherwise. I for one do NOT want that. I wish I had a tiny 300mm on my M6 but I really really don't want a big camera. 99% of the photos I'll ever take in my life is within reach of a 150mm lens. An R6 with an APS-C sensor makes zero sense to me.

• Haha
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
And people act like every single photographer wants to attach a 500mm lens to the front of a camera and there's no reason to use one otherwise. I for one do NOT want that. I wish I had a tiny 300mm on my M6 but I really really don't want a big camera. 99% of the photos I'll ever take in my life is within reach of a 150mm lens. An R6 with an APS-C sensor makes zero sense to me.
But can you fathom it being a godsend for others? It's been on the most wished for list since the R came out. That's all I'll say, don't want to push you, you might be close to the edge.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

another_mikey

CR Pro
Feb 17, 2015
Personally, I won't buy one, as it isn't my use case. For me, the R5 for scenic, nightscape, and some wildlife is perfect. But I certainly understand why dedicated wildlife shooters who want the most pixels on target and the fastest frame rates would wish to see the 7D style DSLR crop cameras reimagined in the mirrorless space, with all the potential that could bring. It obviously isn't a body meant for everyone - don't buy one if it doesn't suit your needs - but I bet they will sell plenty of them! I for one like to see Canon being more committed to mirrorless and the RF mount as time goes on. An R7 for the APS-C market, with perhaps some high quality EF-s like lenses plus the ability to really perform with longer EF and soon to be RF lenses seems like a win to me. Match that with the R6, R5, R1 (or whatever it is called) and the R5s (or whatever it is called) and you will have a really solid and broad reaching line up. I say good for Canon, bring it on!

Upvote 0

I am not a wildlife shooter or need more reach but still prefer a high end APS-C R body (R6/R5 specs).

My current Canon 200d with canon 10-18, sigma 18-35 , canon 60mm covers my needs photography wise. But I do like video equally as well and the 200d doensn't deliver over there IMO. Should I buy a dedicated video camera for video work? No I want a nice hybrid camera instead of carrying two cameras around. The R6 is a very nice hybrid body in my opinion and I am willing to pay the price. But my current glass does the job for me. Switching to a R6 means I have to swap all the glass for FF equivalent. Too expensive for my budget as a hobbyist. Right now I just have to jump FF to get certain 'specs'. I favour better ergonomics over the M line as well as this is my main camera. I also prefer more DOF for my shooting style and with a lens like the sigma 18-35 I can still drop it down to 1.8 which will cover my needs if I want a smaller DOF. Since I usually need more DOF with subjects, where I can't easily add more light. I think APS-C has the advantage. Sure FF you can increase the ISO but I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) you can't fully compensate to get the same DOF as on an APS-C sensor. Hopefully the wobbles will be less visible as well compared to FF with UWA lenses in video with IBIS on.

With plugins now a days I find you can easily clean up noise both in photo and video pretty nicely. So really I don't need the benefits of FF and it is such a huge price difference if you want a body with 3+ lenses.

No idea if this market is huge but it's definitely my dream camera to have R6 or R5 in APS-C

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JayLT

EOS 90D
Jul 8, 2020

If an "R7" comes out I will use my RF 100-500 lens on it almost exclusively compared to my R5. Just as I did when I had my 90D and 5DS, my 100-400L MKII lived on the 90D and was almost never used on the 5DS. I mainly shoot wildlife and airshows, both of which you can never have enough "reach" for

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

AdmiralFwiffo

Terrible photographer
Feb 17, 2020
as long as they dont make a rebel series for the RF mount, ill sleep at night

They should make an RF rebel. Rebels are Canon's best selling line and you gotta pay the bills. So many beginners want a "real" camera system for $500; that's always the cut-off. Nobody's forcing anyone to use it, so I don't know why someone would be bothered by a product that you don't use.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Which, of course, if why Canon makes other options for people like you.

Upvote 0

Lucas Tingley

Canon EOS RP
Nov 27, 2020
They should make an RF rebel. Rebels are Canon's best selling line and you gotta pay the bills. So many beginners want a "real" camera system for $500; that's always the cut-off. Nobody's forcing anyone to use it, so I don't know why someone would be bothered by a product that you don't use.

Its just me that doesent wat to see the 28-70 f2 on an r series equivalent of a t5

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0