An update on the Canon 2021 roadmap [CR2]

Reread my post then read my revised post.

It makes zero business sense to trash the R&D expense of the 1D Mark III a year later for a R1.
Companies make these kind of business decisions all the time. Potential new products can be abandoned for many reasons. One reason is if the product has been overtaken by better technology, and another is shifting consumer demands.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Companies make these kind of business decisions all the time. Potential new products can be abandoned for many reasons. One reason is if the product has been overtaken by better technology, and another is shifting consumer demands.
Canon has never done that in the past.

Forums tend to concentrate outliers who think their wants will translate to rational business decisions.

• Wow
Upvote 0
Canon has never done that in the past.
If something happened (or not) in the past, doesn't tell us what will happen in the future.
If the 'past' would tell us everything. Then we would never be surprised any more in the future? Yet we are constantly being surprised by rare events or the info that we didn't know.

I know we are on a rumors forum where we try to speculate. You appear very confident too me with your statements (other comments on the forum as well). The danger about that I think is that in reality, how much puzzle pieces do you really have of the whole puzzle (all variables that effect on this)? In fact you don't know how many puzzle pieces really exist. Just because you have a little bit of info doesn't mean you can predict the future.

Upvote 0
If something happend (or not) in the past, doesn't tell us what will happen in the future.
If the 'past' would tell us everything. Then we would never be surprised anymore in the future? Yet we are constantly being surprised by rare events or the info that we didn't know.

I know we are on a rumors forum where we try to speculate. You appear very confident too me with your statements (other comments on the forum as well). The danger about that I think is that in reality, how much puzzle pieces do you really have of the whole puzzle (all variables that effect on this)? In fact you don't know how many puzzle pieces realy exist. Just because you have a little bit of info doesn't mean you can predict the future.

To better understand the challenges Canon is facing read their financial report.

The R1 rumors is banking on photographers who never read it or even understand it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
We've seen no announcement. pre-announcement, teasers or leaks. Olympic level photographers need time to become familiar with the cameras (and that's for DSLRs where the basic controls and body types were familiar). Given that there are basically no major sporting events happening and it is already January, I don't see many Olympic photographers taking a chance on a completely new body style. I can't imagine anyone relying on it for the Olympics without having the opportunity to put it through the paces at other events. There is too much at risk. And, honestly, right now, what other events are there even being held for photographers to cover?
To me, this seems like a much more logical argument than simply saying it hasn’t been four years since the 1D X Mark II was released.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Most likely, Canon will be so busy trying to meet demand for the R5 and R6, that anything and everything else has to be put on hold.

Let's face it, they are both amazing cameras, and are blowing away competitors from Nikon, Sony and Panasonic, so there's no real hurry to get anything else released at the moment.

Sure it would be great to have "R7" and "R5s", but it's more important - in terms of sales - to replace the R and RP.

As for the pro "R1", there's a strong likeihood that the 2021 Olympics will never happen. In which case another postponement is unlikely and the next Olympics will actually be in 2024. So Canon and everyone else may actually decide to delay their pro models to enable further mind-boggling developments to take place.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
I hear the next Olympics will actually be held on the Moon to avoid COVID problems. Elon Musk has Space-X hard at work on Space planes to ferry both athletes and spectators. But the rumors indicate Space-X is still at least 24 months away from a testable version. Stay tuned...

So Canon has some breathing room on the R1 and a little more time to mature sales of the 1DX Mk III.

;-)
:rolleyes::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::p

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Most likely, Canon will be so busy trying to meet demand for the R5 and R6, that anything and everything else has to be put on hold...

I think this may be the case. Supply chain issues are likely to persist well into 2021 and Canon may need to build up inventory on existing models before introducing anything new.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Users on CR are outliers. They will never represent the majority of 1-Series buyers.

Photonews agencies largely dictates what will be in the 1-Series bodies. If they wanted a MILC one would have been announced 52 weeks ago...

I think this may be where the flaw in our thinking is. I say "our" because I generally agree with you, but....

What if the target market for an R1 is not the target market for the 1Dx?

The professional 1Dx market is conservative. I don't see a lot of professional users of the 1 series clamoring for a new mirrorless body. But, as the market shrinks, Canon may be refocusing the R1 on enthusiasts, who are already probably a bigger market for the 1Dx than actual professionals.

The enthusiast market is a lot less price sensitive and much more willing to invest in the latest and greatest.

If that's the case, then the Olympics, whenever they occur, is not a venue for winning professional acceptance of the R1, it's a venue to market the R1 to enthusiasts. Release or announce the body this year and put it into the hands of cash-starved professional sports photographers to generate good reviews and photos Canon can use to sell the R1 to enthusiasts.

That would mean that CR users aren't outliers, they are actually the target market.

Just a thought.

• Haha
Upvote 0
I think this may be where the flaw in our thinking is. I say "our" because I generally agree with you, but....

What if the target market for an R1 is not the target market for the 1Dx?

The professional 1Dx market is conservative. I don't see a lot of professional users of the 1 series clamoring for a new mirrorless body. But, as the market shrinks, Canon may be refocusing the R1 on enthusiasts, who are already probably a bigger market for the 1Dx than actual professionals.

The enthusiast market is a lot less price sensitive and much more willing to invest in the latest and greatest.

If that's the case, then the Olympics, whenever they occur, is not a venue for winning professional acceptance of the R1, it's a venue to market the R1 to enthusiasts. Release or announce the body this year and put it into the hands of cash-starved professional sports photographers to generate good reviews and photos Canon can use to sell the R1 to enthusiasts.

That would mean that CR users aren't outliers, they are actually the target market.

Just a thought.
Some context to consider about 1-Series bodies.

Jan-Nov 2020 global DSC shipments45.4% is Canon1-Series Body make up 1% of all Canon ILCs
Total SLR/MILC4,789,3712,155,21721,552

With only less than 22 thousand units probably shipped would it make any sense to cannibalize sales of a camera that is supposed to be produced until as late as 2026?

R1 will come out by Q1 2024. Any earlier and it's a fantasy of an outlier who spends to much time on camera forums thinking cameras that sell for more than $1,500 sells like hotcake.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
At least I did not suffer having my R6 for only weeks before the R5S came blazing out of the gate (which I sort of hoped and feared at the same time). Seems the R6 and I are in for a steady relationship... :love:

If you wanted an R5s all along, why did you get an R6 instead of an R5?

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
The R1 will be available for the Tokyo Olympics because I'd say its unlikely to happen this year.
By 2022 the R1 will be available.
The 1DX III already feels out of date. Other than battery life an R1 would outperform a 1 DX III on almost all fronts.
It certainly won't be a 20 MP sensor (which I think was a mistake on the 1DX III -
I think it could easily coped with 30MP and would have been a better camera for it).

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
At least I did not suffer having my R6 for only weeks before the R5S came blazing out of the gate (which I sort of hoped and feared at the same time). Seems the R6 and I are in for a steady relationship... :love:
If you wanted an R5s all along, why did you get an R6 instead of an R5?
5DS/R does 50 MPIX very nicely. 45 MPIX is just getting a mirrorless 5DS/R. R6 does mirrorless a lot cheaper and will be a better supplement to the R5S with it’s more light sensitive AF and better high ISO than the R5 - which I would never use after getting the R5S anyway. Here 90 MPIX will make a visible difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0