Announcement: Canon EOS C300 Mark II. Full Coverage and Videos Here.

Can someone help me understanding why people are saying that this new C300 "outperforms" in every ways the FS7?
It is a real question, not condescending or sarcastic. I do want to understand...

4K = FS7 @ 60fps vs C300 II @ 30fps
1080p = FS7 @ 180fps vs C300 II @ 120 fps
Codec = FS7 @ 600mbps vs C300 II @ 410 mbps
Both external 4K raw recording
Ergonomics = in favor of FS7
Price = 2 FS7 vs 1 C300 II, WTF???
The only difference in favor of Canon would be the 15 DR vs 14 DR, not a huge difference.
I read, that FOR SURE (sarcasm here), color rendering would be in favor this all new C300, but in any event if one records raw, doesn't one edit colors in post?
O.

Upvote 0
LOLID said:
Can someone help me understanding why people are saying that this new C300 "outperforms" in every ways the FS7?
It is a real question, not condescending or sarcastic. I do want to understand...

4K = FS7 @ 60fps vs C300 II @ 30fps
1080p = FS7 @ 180fps vs C300 II @ 120 fps
Codec = FS7 @ 600mbps vs C300 II @ 410 mbps
Both external 4K raw recording
Ergonomics = in favor of FS7
Price = 2 FS7 vs 1 C300 II, WTF???
The only difference in favor of Canon would be the 15 DR vs 14 DR, not a huge difference.
I read, that FOR SURE (sarcasm here), color rendering would be in favor this all new C300, but in any event if one records raw, doesn't one edit colors in post?
O.

I'm not a Canon rep, but I would assume they are claiming that when compared at the same recording settings the c300 mk2 outperforms the FS7. Yes, the FS7 has more recording capabilities such as 4k at 60p, but at 4k 30p the Canon has higher dynamic range, less noise, etc. etc. Then again, who knows? It's all just marketing. In the end, both cameras are great at what they can do.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Well, Black Magic just released a a whole new firmware for their URSA cameras, which included firmware support a MkII Sensor that hasn't been announced yet. 120FPS in 4K RAW. Who wants to bet we see it tomorrow.... If they fixed their excessive FPN problem with this new sensor, it looks like I'll be looking to buy an URSA down the road. $5995 vs $15995 ....

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
Well, Black Magic just released a a whole new firmware for their URSA cameras, which included firmware support a MkII Sensor that hasn't been announced yet. 120FPS in 4K RAW. Who wants to bet we see it tomorrow.... If they fixed their excessive FPN problem with this new sensor, it looks like I'll be looking to buy an URSA down the road. $5995 vs $15995 ....

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursaminihttps://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursamini

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
PureClassA said:

And unless BM have transformed their lowlight performance you're buying a camera that is only usable in the studio. The C100 looks better at ISO20k than the BM4k does at 1600. And thew C300mkii should be significantly better than the old C100. And that's ignoring every other issue that has plagued every camera BM have released. You might not need a reliable camera, but professionals do.

6k for a studio only camera that might work or 16k for a 15 stops of DR at high ISO in a trusted package. If you had the money - and anyone working with a professional budget outside of a newly graduated one-man production company does - there isn't much of a decision to make.

Upvote 0