Any thing Shot with a 5ds/r

Latest outing to Cataloochee Valley in the Great Smoky's. A mile or so down a hiking path, we had stopped on the river edge to get some water shots. This fella must have heard us talking as it wandered up the path since all we heard was a quick gallop past us. It stopped about 40 feet up the path to assess the situation and slowly kept on walking. Definitely one of the most beautiful bull elk I have seen.

What a rack by Barry Scully, on Flickr

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Eldar said:
I have got a macro challenge I had to respond to, so this is an attempt. This is a 13 exposure stack, done in Photoshop. These little buggers have a habit of taking off before I have my rig in position, so this is not something I will pursue as a carreer :p

I am sure that there are experts on this kind of shooting on this forum, so any comment on how you postprocess would be of interest. I see that I do get some strange artifacts here and there, which I am sure you have ways to avoid.

This red-thighed St Mark's Fly, also called Heather Fly, was shot with 100mm f2.8L IS Macro, 1.4xIII extender and a 20mm extension tube. The insect is about 10-14mm long. (The background is from a flowerbed of roses and not something I have added).

Excellent result. Well done, Edar.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
stochasticmotions said:
Latest outing to Cataloochee Valley in the Great Smoky's. A mile or so down a hiking path, we had stopped on the river edge to get some water shots. This fella must have heard us talking as it wandered up the path since all we heard was a quick gallop past us. It stopped about 40 feet up the path to assess the situation and slowly kept on walking. Definitely one of the most beautiful bull elk I have seen.

What a rack by Barry Scully, on Flickr

Great shot. Must have been an exciting moment seeing such a grand male.

Moose wander around my place but I never see the mature males.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
KeithBreazeal said:
scyrene said:
An unusually placid dragonfly today. 5Ds, 100L Macro, 600EX-RT flash; 1/200, f/6.3, ISO 200.

Dang! That's really nice. Good work!

Looks like the camera and lens are doing just fine, oh, and I guess the photographer should be included. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
KeithBreazeal said:
scyrene said:
An unusually placid dragonfly today. 5Ds, 100L Macro, 600EX-RT flash; 1/200, f/6.3, ISO 200.

Dang! That's really nice. Good work!

Looks like the camera and lens are doing just fine, oh, and I guess the photographer should be included. ;)

Jack

Thanks guys! The dragonfly has to take most of the credit :) But yeah, the 100L has never let me down, and works just as well on the 5Ds as the 5D3.

Upvote 0
One year ago the Butte Fire exploded out of control despite the massive effort to contain it in the river canyon.
In a few hours, it was beyond all hope even with all the man & airpower that could be mustered. All assets were diverted to structure protection but the intense thermal radiation was an overwhelming force. Over a thousand homes and scores of businesses were lost. A massive relief effort was launched for the homeless and their livestock. We are doing another benefit this weekend to help those that are still in need.

Butte Fire 404 into the fire 3132 © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr

Butte Fire heavy lift Butte Mt 3424 © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr

Butte Fire CL-415 Super Scooper 3519 © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr

Upvote 0
Took the 5DS out for a fun shoot. Normally I use the 5D III but I sold it as the Mark IV will be here in 2 days.

This is the only photo I'll post here due to the "content" of some of the other photos from that day.
If you choose, click on the photo to take you to the Flickr page, then see the others.

Dixon Renegade Show AFT Girls Raiders Bike 0685 © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Eldar said:
Leopard from Serengeti.

600mm f4L IS II, cropped a lot.

Lovely. Looks like you were swapping that lens quite a lot.

Jack
I am very glad I brought that lens. About 30% of my images was shot with the 600, primarily with the 1.4xIII extender attached, compared to about 50% with the 200-400 f4L IS 1.4x. The remaining 20% was split between the 24-70 f2.8L II and the 70-200 f2.8L IS II. I did bring the 11-24 also, but I shot less than 10 images with it.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
Jack Douglas said:
Eldar said:
Leopard from Serengeti.

600mm f4L IS II, cropped a lot.

Lovely. Looks like you were swapping that lens quite a lot.

Jack
I am very glad I brought that lens. About 30% of my images was shot with the 600, primarily with the 1.4xIII extender attached, compared to about 50% with the 200-400 f4L IS 1.4x. The remaining 20% was split between the 24-70 f2.8L II and the 70-200 f2.8L IS II. I did bring the 11-24 also, but I shot less than 10 images with it.

You really brought that image to life with the processing, Eldar.

But did you see what you just did there? - that Safari ain't gonna cost me 30K DKK, but 230K DKK because I need to get the 200-400/4 and the 600/4 first :-[
Oh, what a cruel excuse to have to buy them both ;D

I assume you had all the lenses and bodies in your carry-on. Were you able to keep it within your own limit, or did you have to "borrow" from you wifes quota?

Upvote 0