Apple on sticks (stuck at home)

Jan 27, 2013
Hi,

this is basically one of the stuck at home ideas that I came up with mainly because I wanted to play with off camera flash and I seen the chopsticks in the kitchen... however this is one of the cases when I end up with two pictures and I'm not sure with which one to go on with, so in case you feel like giving some feedback, please let me know which (if any) you like better

... and, if you feel like, I would also welcome other "stuck at home" ideas :) ,

thanks,

Stig

Attachments

• IMG_3191.jpg
    IMG_3191.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 1,045
  • IMG_3188.jpg
    IMG_3188.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 1,043
Jan 27, 2013
so... so far 1:1, and I agree, the top one feels "cleaner" to me, the bottom one more natural

@privatebydesign,
thanks again, however let me just ask whether I got it right... by behind the apple, did you mean still above vertically, but behind the axle of the apple and reflector from under the apple level, or directly behind the apple and reflectors from sides... though I think I should just try both anyway :)

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
@privatebydesign thanks, interesting, so my first thought was right and btw, as a light source I used a DIY "softbox" I made from the box my girlfriends new hairdryer came in (cut out one of the big sides, laid aluminum foil on the inside, stuck in a speedlite from the lower shorter side and put office paper over the front... not great, but waaaay better then the bare speedlite)

@DanielW ... I did ate it :-[ on my defense though, it was some time ago it it would be probably rotten by now anyway... luckily, I think i could manage to get a new one (or try something different the second time... e.g. a grape (single grape) so my current light source will suddenly be biiiig :) )

Upvote 0

m

Nov 24, 2012
The sticks stopping just before the right edge of the frame doesn't look good.

As of lighting, it's the lower one.

The background texture is not blown out.
The sticks throwing shadows on themselves creates small shapes in contrast to the rather uniform background and apple.
Yet the apple still pops due to the nice light hinting on its third dimension.

The upper one looks very dull, as if there are only three colors: green, white and grey-brown/yellow

ideas:
- either mess the sticks up entirely or place them really accurately. I'd try the former.
- fill the frame, stretch the sticks to the right at least. Or fill the entire frame with sticks (if you have enough).
If you want to keep the "horizon", maybe add some texture to the background that works like the sticks. use a gobo maybe.
- more drama. considering the difference between shot one and two, go even further with it.
Try something like lighting from underneath maybe with a red color - wooo burn that witch apple!

Or go the other direction, pierce the apple on multiple sticks all on one line with the same distances between them. With additional sticks you can fill the frame with parallel, diagonal sticks, with some of them piercing the apple.

Upvote 0