Beautiful bokeh! Let me see yours!

PCM-madison

EOS 90D
CR Pro
Dec 9, 2013
136
118
Ironman Wisconsin. 7D m2 + 135mm f2.
 

Attachments

  • MS-ironman-2.jpg
    MS-ironman-2.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 349
Oct 4, 2012
2,669
17
www.dustinabbott.net
Here's one from the new Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC. It focuses VERY close and gives nearly a .30x magnification - very impressive for a non-macro near 50mm lens. As a result, you can really blow out backgrounds with close focus.

I've got a gallery started as I review the lens (and its 35mm sister) over the next week or so.

http://bit.ly/1Kx9cTy
 

Attachments

  • Tamron SP 45mm VC-22.jpg
    Tamron SP 45mm VC-22.jpg
    619.9 KB · Views: 280

dpc

EOS-1D X Mark III
Dec 11, 2013
6,334
3,793
Western Canada
:)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1232_DxO_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1232_DxO_edited-1.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 296
  • _MG_7789_2.jpg
    _MG_7789_2.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 291
  • _MG_5524 2_DxO.jpg
    _MG_5524 2_DxO.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 312

Jopa

EOS R
Dec 11, 2015
1,054
0
So many splendid samples of bokeh in this thread.
Here is mine. While it's hard to call it "smooth" and "creamy", it's still my favorite. Sun in the dew, OOF, rendered like gold coins by the Sigma 85 Art.

 
Oct 4, 2012
2,669
17
www.dustinabbott.net
The 35L II is one of my favorite lenses right now because it is just so good in every situation. Case in point: this past weekend I was shooting an event and then a banquet. Even in those practical settings, I came home with some images I love, whether it was shooting the centerpieces at the banquet:

A Surfeit of Beauty by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

or shooting musicians playing in the youth convention:

Bring that Bass by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

or a couple of months ago just shooting a chess board I found in a Gold Lounge at a resort I was documenting:

Your Move by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

It's all great. I also find that I get really good three dimensional subject rendering. This is the most "Zeiss-like" Canon lens that I've used - it feels a whole lot like an Otus.
 

Jopa

EOS R
Dec 11, 2015
1,054
0
Thank you Dustin.
Your 35mm shots look awesome. I also like this lens a lot, it's actually my default travel lens now, don't need anything else...
 
Oct 4, 2012
2,669
17
www.dustinabbott.net
Jopa said:
Thank you Dustin.
Your 35mm shots look awesome. I also like this lens a lot, it's actually my default travel lens now, don't need anything else...

I sold my 24-70 f/2.8 (I had the Tamron), with the thought of replacing it with either A) Sigma 24-70 ART, Tamron 24-70 G2, or Canon 24-70 IS. I've been using the 35L II where I would use a 24-70, though, and have seriously begun to wonder if I even need a 24-70.
 

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Jopa said:
Thank you Dustin.
Your 35mm shots look awesome. I also like this lens a lot, it's actually my default travel lens now, don't need anything else...

I sold my 24-70 f/2.8 (I had the Tamron), with the thought of replacing it with either A) Sigma 24-70 ART, Tamron 24-70 G2, or Canon 24-70 IS. I've been using the 35L II where I would use a 24-70, though, and have seriously begun to wonder if I even need a 24-70.

That's exactly the conclusion I have come to: I don't require a "standard" zoom anymore.
 

privatebydesign

EOS-1D X Mark III
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
9,809
4,423
Sporgon said:
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Jopa said:
Thank you Dustin.
Your 35mm shots look awesome. I also like this lens a lot, it's actually my default travel lens now, don't need anything else...

I sold my 24-70 f/2.8 (I had the Tamron), with the thought of replacing it with either A) Sigma 24-70 ART, Tamron 24-70 G2, or Canon 24-70 IS. I've been using the 35L II where I would use a 24-70, though, and have seriously begun to wonder if I even need a 24-70.

That's exactly the conclusion I have come to: I don't require a "standard" zoom anymore.

I still have the 24-70 f2.8 and primarily use it for functions etc, but the 35 f2 IS has taken over for travel duties and is edging the 'go to' zoom out more and more often.
 
Oct 4, 2012
2,669
17
www.dustinabbott.net
Sporgon said:
That's exactly the conclusion I have come to: I don't require a "standard" zoom anymore.

privatebydesign said:
I still have the 24-70 f2.8 and primarily use it for functions etc, but the 35 f2 IS has taken over for travel duties and is edging the 'go to' zoom out more and more often.

That's a problem for this new round of 24-70 lenses, though I suspect they will continue to sell well.
 

privatebydesign

EOS-1D X Mark III
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
9,809
4,423
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Sporgon said:
That's exactly the conclusion I have come to: I don't require a "standard" zoom anymore.

privatebydesign said:
I still have the 24-70 f2.8 and primarily use it for functions etc, but the 35 f2 IS has taken over for travel duties and is edging the 'go to' zoom out more and more often.

That's a problem for this new round of 24-70 lenses, though I suspect they will continue to sell well.

Yes I'd take a sniff around a Canon 24-70 f2.8 IS but considering the price would be substantial it wouldn't be any kind of priority.

It's funny the 100 L Macro has pushed the 70-200 f2.8 IS out the bag most of the time now too. At this moment I am traveling in the Caribbean with one body the 35 f2 IS and the 100 L Macro, it is much nicer to carry than the 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8's!
 

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
2,376
1,246
Pookie, outstanding. I love the "Cinematic" look of the image. The tonal range that was choosen is a perfect match for the models inner beauty... I wonder if you ended up appliying a filter of worked you way through one step at the time in order to "colour grade" the image? You have a magnificent sense of colour balance and key to ambient light ratios. Very Holywood like look and feel. Thank you, Sir!

Pookie said:
https://flic.kr/p/qRXutj
 
<-- start Taboola -->