Beautiful bokeh! Let me see yours!

Here's one from the new Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC. It focuses VERY close and gives nearly a .30x magnification - very impressive for a non-macro near 50mm lens. As a result, you can really blow out backgrounds with close focus.

I've got a gallery started as I review the lens (and its 35mm sister) over the next week or so.

http://bit.ly/1Kx9cTy

Attachments

• Tamron SP 45mm VC-22.jpg
    Tamron SP 45mm VC-22.jpg
    619.9 KB · Views: 310
Upvote 0
The 35L II is one of my favorite lenses right now because it is just so good in every situation. Case in point: this past weekend I was shooting an event and then a banquet. Even in those practical settings, I came home with some images I love, whether it was shooting the centerpieces at the banquet:

A Surfeit of Beauty by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

or shooting musicians playing in the youth convention:

Bring that Bass by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

or a couple of months ago just shooting a chess board I found in a Gold Lounge at a resort I was documenting:

Your Move by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

It's all great. I also find that I get really good three dimensional subject rendering. This is the most "Zeiss-like" Canon lens that I've used - it feels a whole lot like an Otus.

Upvote 0
Jopa said:
Thank you Dustin.
Your 35mm shots look awesome. I also like this lens a lot, it's actually my default travel lens now, don't need anything else...

I sold my 24-70 f/2.8 (I had the Tamron), with the thought of replacing it with either A) Sigma 24-70 ART, Tamron 24-70 G2, or Canon 24-70 IS. I've been using the 35L II where I would use a 24-70, though, and have seriously begun to wonder if I even need a 24-70.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Jopa said:
Thank you Dustin.
Your 35mm shots look awesome. I also like this lens a lot, it's actually my default travel lens now, don't need anything else...

I sold my 24-70 f/2.8 (I had the Tamron), with the thought of replacing it with either A) Sigma 24-70 ART, Tamron 24-70 G2, or Canon 24-70 IS. I've been using the 35L II where I would use a 24-70, though, and have seriously begun to wonder if I even need a 24-70.

That's exactly the conclusion I have come to: I don't require a "standard" zoom anymore.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Sporgon said:
Jopa said:
Thank you Dustin.

That's exactly the conclusion I have come to: I don't require a "standard" zoom anymore.

I still have the 24-70 f2.8 and primarily use it for functions etc, but the 35 f2 IS has taken over for travel duties and is edging the 'go to' zoom out more and more often.

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:

privatebydesign said:
I still have the 24-70 f2.8 and primarily use it for functions etc, but the 35 f2 IS has taken over for travel duties and is edging the 'go to' zoom out more and more often.

That's a problem for this new round of 24-70 lenses, though I suspect they will continue to sell well.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Sporgon said:

privatebydesign said:

That's a problem for this new round of 24-70 lenses, though I suspect they will continue to sell well.

Yes I'd take a sniff around a Canon 24-70 f2.8 IS but considering the price would be substantial it wouldn't be any kind of priority.

It's funny the 100 L Macro has pushed the 70-200 f2.8 IS out the bag most of the time now too. At this moment I am traveling in the Caribbean with one body the 35 f2 IS and the 100 L Macro, it is much nicer to carry than the 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8's!

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Pookie, outstanding. I love the "Cinematic" look of the image. The tonal range that was choosen is a perfect match for the models inner beauty... I wonder if you ended up appliying a filter of worked you way through one step at the time in order to "colour grade" the image? You have a magnificent sense of colour balance and key to ambient light ratios. Very Holywood like look and feel. Thank you, Sir!

Pookie said:
https://flic.kr/p/qRXutj

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

SecureGSM said:
Pookie, outstanding. I love the "Cinematic" look of the image. The tonal range that was choosen is a perfect match for the models inner beauty... I wonder if you ended up appliying a filter of worked you way through one step at the time in order to "colour grade" the image? You have a magnificent sense of colour balance and key to ambient light ratios. Very Holywood like look and feel. Thank you, Sir!

Pookie said:

Thanks SecureGSM... Over the years I've developed my own sets of grading dependant on the lighting used and conditions. From that point I usually tweak it just a little for the specific shoot. Unfortunately there are never one size fits all solutions that you you can just apply without thought. Once dialed in though i will apply the final adjustments to the entire shoot to maintain consistency.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Not sure if this is bokehlicious enough to count? Whilst walking on the local sea front I saw this arrangement of shells that had been left by someone else, I felt their efforts worthy of preserving before nature :) or nurture ::) removed it. ;D
Two different views with slightly different results,
the first was with the camera sitting at the same height as if it were placed on the wall, 7DII 100-400 L II
the second was about a third of the body (the grip) below the wall surface 7DII 100-400 L II + 1.4xIII

SE0A9827_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

SE0A9826_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0