Besides the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS, What are the Other 3 Lenses Coming?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
That’s a great question and we are only getting very vague answers from people that know what’s coming.</p>
<ul>
<li>We’re told that the 3 lenses <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/unreleased-canon-gear-has-appeared-for-certification/">shown in the certification documents</a> are going to be a “series”.</li>
<li>The “series” of lenses has also been described to us as “high-end”.</li>
</ul>
<p>If we go by the certifications, the three lenses in question are being manufactured at the Canon Opto SDN BHD factory in Malaysia. I cannot find any “high end” lenses in the Canon lineup that are made in Malaysia, please sound off in the forums if you know of any.</p>
<p>The same certification documents show that the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS II is being made at Canon’s Utsunomiya factory in Japan, which to my knowledge is the only place Canon L lenses are made, which is what we would call “high end”.</p>
<p>We have no information as to what “series” these 3 will fall under.</p>
<p>The announcement for these 4 lenses is expected the last week of August.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
ScottyP said:
They must be M lenses. Where else does Canon lack lenses so much that a series of 3 would be released simultaneously. And there is no way to describe a high end M lens other than high end since there is as of yet no name for "L" series M lenses.

I was told in a roundabout way that they aren't EF-M lenses, but that wasn't confirmed.

I doubt it's new tilt-shift lenses, there's no room for more macro lenses in a series, but we have seen patents for APO lenses in the past. Most notably an 135mm f/2.8 & 180mm f/3.5 APO.

I hope to hear more soon, this is a weird one in terms of how its leaking out.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
I note the update to the other post, indicating these are three different lenses. But 3 of them, all from Malaysia...really seems like an M20 kit lens in 3 colors.

Neuro, stop hiding the truth. We all know it's AvTvM's short tele fast pancake, the EF-M 85mm f/2.4 IS STM, in three colors: Pentax Silver, Wood Grain, and Naugahyde. 8)

- A

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
ScottyP said:
They must be M lenses. Where else does Canon lack lenses so much that's series of3 would be released simultaneously.

Say FF lenses.

If Canon releases a new 85mm f/1.4 lens, it might release a new 50mm f/1.4 to compete with the slew of high end lenses in this spot (Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Otus, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art, Nikon 58mm f/1.4G). That would be a high end lens.

There are rumors about upgrades of the TS-E 45mm & 90mm for close to a decade. Those are high end lenses.

Canon could give the 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, and 100mm f/2 the same treatment as the 24mm f/2.8, 28mm f/2.8, and 35mm f/2 got.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Antono Refa said:
Say FF lenses.

If Canon releases a new 85mm f/1.4 lens, it might release a new 50mm f/1.4 to compete with the slew of high end lenses in this spot (Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Otus, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art, Nikon 58mm f/1.4G). That would be a high end lens.

There are rumors about upgrades of the TS-E 45mm & 90mm for close to a decade. Those are high end lenses.

Canon could give the 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, and 100mm f/2 the same treatment as the 24mm f/2.8, 28mm f/2.8, and 35mm f/2 got.

Hey, I'd be singing Malaysia's praises were that true. But why unleash a horde of EF lenses at an EOS-M release? My money's on a fruit stripes gum of three different colored EF-M lenses.

- A

Upvote 0
Antono Refa said:

The two most "outdated" are the 50f1.4 and 28f1.8.. the 85f1.8 & 100f2.0 much less so, but who wouldn't want improved optics and IS on these two.

So perhaps the 28f1.8, 50f1.4 & 85f1.8

IS all round?

Better mechanics?

Or will they nerf the lot with nano-USM.. yuck!

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
rfdesigner said:
Antono Refa said:

The two most "outdated" are the 50f1.4 and 28f1.8.. the 85f1.8 & 100f2.0 much less so, but who wouldn't want improved optics and IS on these two.

So perhaps the 28f1.8, 50f1.4 & 85f1.8

IS all round?

Better mechanics?

Or will they nerf the lot with nano-USM.. yuck!

The current rumor for the non-L 50 is no IS and nano USM, which I believe still qualifies as a sequel in Canon naming terms, i.e. an EF 50mm f/1.4 USM II.

I've not shot nano USM but other than it being FBW :)-[) it's supposed to be much better than STM for stills speed.

I want IS, but I need faster/more reliable AF 'time until AF locks' than my 50 f/1.4 USM, internal focusing (huge for me) and hopefully better wide open performance.

...but I still think the 3x 'series' sort of statement screams EF-M given the new M body we expect to come out alongside this.

- A

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
ahsanford said:
Antono Refa said:
Say FF lenses.

Hey, I'd be singing Malaysia's praises were that true. But why unleash a horde of EF lenses at an EOS-M release? My money's on a fruit stripes gum of three different colored EF-M lenses.

- A

How about three colours of 50 mm lens? Black, L beige and L red :D

Seriously tho, this all sounds a bit fishy. What other high-end does Canon have apart L and DO lenses, which are all made in Utsunomiya factory? Do they really consider e.g. 24 IS or 35 IS high-end lenses? Or do they outsource cheaper L lenses to non-Japan country? Which would contradict everything they've held up so far. Japan pride is not to be taken lightly in this matter.

Oh dear, this is going to be long five weeks :D

Upvote 0
Is it crazy to think they might be high-quality crop sensor lenses?? L-series glass in an ef-s shell?

The biggest draw to Fujifilm - for me, at least - right now is their lenses. They have great glass but don't waste money OR size/weight on the FF edges.

I am a pro-sumer who shoots with a 7dmkii. Most EF-S lenses I've used are not up to par, and L-lenses are cost-prohibitive and too big. Sigma are cheaper, but bigger and heavier.

I settle for USM lenses which are great, but I would gladly plunk down $600-$900 on an ultrafast, somewhat compact fast lens.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
brevity1 said:
Is it crazy to think they might be high-quality crop sensor lenses?? L-series glass in an ef-s shell?

The biggest draw to Fujifilm - for me, at least - right now is their lenses. They have great glass but don't waste money OR size/weight on the FF edges.

I am a pro-sumer who shoots with a 7dmkii. Most EF-S lenses I've used are not up to par, and L-lenses are cost-prohibitive and too big. Sigma are cheaper, but bigger and heavier.

I settle for USM lenses which are great, but I would gladly plunk down $600-$900 on an ultrafast, somewhat compact fast lens.

I see your point, but there is a physical limit in size advantage of EF-S lenses. You mentioned Fuji and you are very much correct. Their Fujicron lineup is very impressive (23/2, 35/2 and 50/2) with very affordable pricing. There is excellent 14/2.8 and 56/1.2 primes. But look at some telephoto lenses and zooms there. Do you find 90/2 lens small? Or perhaps 50-140/2.8 lens small or light? That sucker weighs around 1 kg, which is only a 350 g short of some 70-200/2.8 FF lenses. But for wideangle and standart primes, you are of course right.

Canon could use some nice EF-S primes, such as EF-S 10/2.8, 22/1.8 or 55/1.8. But I'm afraid that they see their APS-C lineup as either for basic consumers only, who never go beyond kit zooms and more serious users are forced to buy L lenses, which then gently push them toward Canon FF lineup with more profit margins.

Fuji on the other hand has made their APS-C lineup a flagship and won't go FF anytime soon (then there is GFX body and lenses for rich Fuji fans), so they can commit to their crop lenses. Canon seems to leave their EF-S lineup aside a bit and concetrate on their L lenses lineup instead.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
brevity1 said:

Tamron's latest FF line comes to mind. They didn't shoot for the moon with f/1.4 and instead went with f/1.8 IS, which is going to be less mass to carry around. But they'll be diametrically oversized for a crop only shooter (and you get benefits from that, keep mind: less vignetting, sharper output, etc.).

But I believe 'pro EF-S' is on the way out as an idea. Few will pay $799+ for a crop-only lens (at CaNikon at least) because it's DOA if you migrate to FF. And Canon makes a boatload of money selling new 6D#/5D# owners EF lenses to replace the EF-S lenses they can no longer use, so why would they give us reasons to stay in crop?

So Canon has very little incentive to make, say:

EF-S 23mm f/1.4
EF-S 35mm f/1.4
EF-S 56mm f/1.2
EF-S 16-55 f/2.8

...but Fuji makes all of those and a boatload more.
When you have no FF platform to push people to, a 'pro-crop' lens ecosystem is possible.

- A

Upvote 0
brevity1 said:
Canon could use some nice EF-S primes, such as EF-S 10/2.8, 22/1.8 or 55/1.8. But I'm afraid that they see their APS-C lineup as either for basic consumers only, who never go beyond kit zooms and more serious users are forced to buy L lenses, which then gently push them toward Canon FF lineup with more profit margins.

Fuji on the other hand has made their APS-C lineup a flagship and won't go FF anytime soon (then there is GFX body and lenses for rich Fuji fans), so they can commit to their crop lenses. Canon seems to leave their EF-S lineup aside a bit and concetrate on their L lenses lineup instead.

That's true... yet now we have 3 unknown high quality lenses being manufactured in Malaysia that we know are not m lenses.

The 7Dmkii is, in many ways, a professional camera. I can get fantastic IQ by using an L-series lens but am wasting money and carrying around something extra bulky to get that IQ.

Also, we just saw the release of the 35mm macro ef-s.

And yeah, I'd LOVE a crop sensor 20mm-24mm f2 or faster.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
brevity1 said:

Tamron's latest FF line comes to mind. They didn't shoot for the moon with f/1.4 and instead went with f/1.8 IS, which is going to be less mass to carry around. But they'll be diametrically oversized for a crop only shooter (and you get benefits from that, keep mind: less vignetting, sharper output, etc.).

But I believe 'pro EF-S' is on the way out as an idea. Few will pay $799+ for a crop-only lens (at CaNikon at least) because it's DOA if you migrate to FF. And Canon makes a boatload of money selling new 6D#/5D# owners EF lenses to replace the EF-S lenses they can no longer use, so why would they give us reasons to stay in crop?

So Canon has very little incentive to make, say:

EF-S 23mm f/1.4
EF-S 35mm f/1.4
EF-S 56mm f/1.2
EF-S 16-55 f/2.8

...but Fuji makes all of those and a boatload more.
When you have no FF platform to push people to, a 'pro-crop' lens ecosystem is possible.

- A

I guess my fingers are crossed they've decided to target the Fuji market.

Upvote 0

vau

Sep 14, 2016
Canon Rumors said:
That’s a great question and we are only getting very vague answers from people that know what’s coming.</p>
<ul>
<li>We’re told that the 3 lenses <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/unreleased-canon-gear-has-appeared-for-certification/">shown in the certification documents</a> are going to be a “series”.</li>
<li>The “series” of lenses has also been described to us as “high-end”.</li>
</ul>
<p>If we go by the certifications, the three lenses in question are being manufactured at the Canon Opto SDN BHD factory in Malaysia. I cannot find any “high end” lenses in the Canon lineup that are made in Malaysia, please sound off in the forums if you know of any.</p>
<p>The same certification documents show that the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS II is being made at Canon’s Utsunomiya factory in Japan, which to my knowledge is the only place Canon L lenses are made, which is what we would call “high end”.</p>
<p>We have no information as to what “series” these 3 will fall under.</p>
<p>The announcement for these 4 lenses is expected the last week of August.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Dead simple, they are:

EF-ML 10-22mm f1.8
EF-ML 18-70mm f1.8
EF-ML 50-125mm f1.8

Upvote 0