Besides the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS, What are the Other 3 Lenses Coming?

Canon Rumors said:
ScottyP said:
They must be M lenses. Where else does Canon lack lenses so much that a series of 3 would be released simultaneously. And there is no way to describe a high end M lens other than high end since there is as of yet no name for "L" series M lenses.

I was told in a roundabout way that they aren't EF-M lenses, but that wasn't confirmed.

I doubt it's new tilt-shift lenses, there's no room for more macro lenses in a series, but we have seen patents for APO lenses in the past. Most notably an 135mm f/2.8 & 180mm f/3.5 APO.

I hope to hear more soon, this is a weird one in terms of how its leaking out.

not to belittle what you do here buuut...you were also told that the new EF-S prime would NOT be a macro and..guess what ::)

i don't think canon will launch 4 EF-S lenses in one year so i really hope these will be some EF-M glass, as i recently switched to the M5, but also i expect to see maybe 1 lens in different colors..

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
If it isn't a new EF-M 15-45 replacement (which is sorely needed if the EOS M range is to be taken seriously) then I very much doubt there would be three new EF lenses or EF-S lenses released in one hit - there aren't enough gaps in the range to justify this.

I guess if we are really lucky it would be revamps of the 50mm f/1.4, the 85mm 1.8 and the 100mm 2.0 - but I would have expected more news of this to leak out if that was the case.

There have been ongoing rumours of EF-M primes for some time now, it's been a bit quiet for a while, but it may simply be they have been ready for a long time and simply Canon were waiting for the right time to bring to market.

So let's see. Maybe we'll get something like

EF-M 16mm f/2.8 STM
EF-M 35mm f/2.0 IS STM
EF-M 50mm f/1.8 IS STM

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
ahsanford said:
So Canon has very little incentive to make, say:

EF-S 23mm f/1.4
EF-S 35mm f/1.4
EF-S 56mm f/1.2
EF-S 16-55 f/2.8

...but Fuji makes all of those and a boatload more.
When you have no FF platform to push people to, a 'pro-crop' lens ecosystem is possible.

- A

Well, technically, there is EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM, but it's getting a bit overdue for an upgrade :)

But you are 100% correct. Fuji is committing to their crop lenses, because they have no desire to make fullframe cameras. So they can go all out in their crop lenses offerings. Canon is not. Simple as that :)

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Canon Rumors said:
If we go by the certifications, the three lenses in question are being manufactured at the Canon Opto SDN BHD factory in Malaysia. I cannot find any “high end” lenses in the Canon lineup that are made in Malaysia, please sound off in the forums if you know of any.

Nope. Only the lower end EF and EF-M lenses are made in Malaysia from what I could tell.

from what I could find from EF standpoint; the EF 50mm 1.8 II, 40mm STM I could find .. alot of them are shared it seems between Malaysia and Taiwan.

Also this seems strange because canon's never in the past 20 freaking years did more than 5 lenses (that was only once) in a non-photokina year.

so for canon to launch 6 lenses this year in a non PK year would be a remarkable change.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
rrcphoto said:
so for canon to launch 6 lenses this year in a non PK year would be a remarkable change.

I think that number over time simply has to grow to support so many more mounts than back in 1987 (right?) when EF started.

I recognize resources are somewhat constrained on design/production (at least production to Canon's standards), but over time advantages/synergies/efficiencies can creep in:

[list type=decimal]
[*]They start to amass a boatload of optical formulas that can be 'refreshed' with tighter tolerancing or a new LCD or focusing technology, etc.

[*]They can rinse and repeat some simpler lens designs for different mounts -- the pancakes and EF-S 35 / EF-M
28 ring macros come to mind.

[*]Production efficiencies could be found in shared componentry (esp. EF-S and EF-M), automation, etc.

[/list]
I'm not saying that they will go hog wild and go all 'year of the lens' every year, but they could conceivably increment up their output without hiring everyone at Sigma to do it.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
And yes, if you are curious, I am actively changing the subject to not even begin to get excited that the 'series' in question is a non-L fast28/50/85/100 refresh. One's hopes cannot be crushed if they never left the ground, amirite? :'(

All my chips are on kit crop stuff, likely EF-M in a lovely suite of colors.

- A

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
ScottyP said:
They must be M lenses. Where else does Canon lack lenses so much that a series of 3 would be released simultaneously. And there is no way to describe a high end M lens other than high end since there is as of yet no name for "L" series M lenses.

I was told in a roundabout way that they aren't EF-M lenses, but that wasn't confirmed.

You were also told that the new EF-S 35 macro "wasn't a specialty lens, like a macro", so while I trust you to know that lenses are coming, the credibility of your sources when they give you details like that isn't exactly high. ;)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
mppix said:
Btw. why a 28?

Because Canon sells two 28mm non-L lenses. One was refreshed in the 24/28/35 IS refresh 5 years ago.

The other was in the same family as the 20/28/50/85/100/135softfocus non-L USM lenses from the 90s. It's a 'fast' EF 28mm f/1.8 USM compared to the tiny 80s lens EF 28mm f/2.8 (that I cherish in the IS refresh version now).

But we have no idea if they'll replace that entire non-L USM prime line. My guess:

20mm f/2.8 --> Dead. Niche to the bone and UWA like this are manual focus lens territory with a lot of third party options. If you really want a 20mm, you get a Sigma here -- I just don't see much money for Canon here.

28mm f/1.8 --> On life support. A fast 28mm is too long for some landscapes/astro and too short for general use. It's a great street option and I love my 28 f/2.8 IS, but that's -- again -- pretty niche. The 24 and 35 do bracket this FL pretty closely.

50 f/1.4 --> 100% must/will happen for reasons well-catalogued above and beyond this middle-level line of lenses.

85 f/1.8 --> 100% must/will happen for reasons well-catalogued above and beyond this middle-level line of lenses. Canon can't just sell Ferraris in such a staple portraiture length.

100 f/2 --> 50%? Canon already has two other 100mm macro primes that take lovely portraits, so building a faster non-L is anyone's guess.

135 f/2.8 softfocus --> DOA. If they shut production down before the refresh, the refresh ain't coming, folks. Besides, any softfocus devotees are probably in the Instagram crowd and will either filter for it or possibly pony up for these manual LensBaby/Petzval/Soap bokeh sort of lenses. Canon needs to call a fad a fad and not commit a long-term production line to it.

If this post's 'series' is talking about this family of lenses, my guess would be 50 f/1.4 - 85 f/1.8 - 100 f/2. But I don't think it is.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
mppix said:
Agreed that it's a rather long shot with the series..

My take is that triage the entire non-L prime line and decide (for each) to:

• Good demand + strong need for a second price point below the L --> give it the full-blown 24/28/35 IS refresh treatment, but likely with nano USM. That will build a solid 2nd option to the L -- the f/(slower than 1.4) IS to the f/1.4L above it, like f/4L IS zooms vs. their pricier f/2.8L brothers. Candidates: 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8

• 'Meh' demand + still a need for a second price point OR there is no L option at that FL --> consider keeping the older lens in production longer, or possibly consider a really low cost STM prime (think 50 f/1.8 STM). Candidates: 28 f/1.8, 100 f/2

• Very low demand --> let it die. Candidates: 20 f/2.8

- A

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
ahsanford said:
Antono Refa said:
Say FF lenses.

If Canon releases a new 85mm f/1.4 lens, it might release a new 50mm f/1.4 to compete with the slew of high end lenses in this spot (Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Otus, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art, Nikon 58mm f/1.4G). That would be a high end lens.

There are rumors about upgrades of the TS-E 45mm & 90mm for close to a decade. Those are high end lenses.

Canon could give the 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, and 100mm f/2 the same treatment as the 24mm f/2.8, 28mm f/2.8, and 35mm f/2 got.

Hey, I'd be singing Malaysia's praises were that true. But why unleash a horde of EF lenses at an EOS-M release? My money's on a fruit stripes gum of three different colored EF-M lenses.

Rumors are wrong from time to time. E.g. this rumors started as a release of an EF-S 18-55 in three different colors. Possibly, the lenses aren't built in Malaysia.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
'High-end' plus 'Made in Malaysia' are not consistent with Canon's usual practice...

Lens series made in Malaysia...

If not EF-M, then may be series of EF-S primes or EF primes...

So-called 'high-end' may simply mean large aperture (f/1.8 or faster)...

Nikon has a series of affordable fast FX f/1.8 primes (28/35/50/85)... Does Canon plan to follow suit?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
mppix said:
privatebydesign said:
redpoint said:
Any ballpark price on the upcoming 85 f/1.4?

It's time for me to get another fast prime, I haven't owned one since 2013.

$6,333 launch retail.

I didn't know CAD was that low.. ;D ;D ;D
If the lens is optically as stellar as the EF 35 f/1.4ii it will likely be priced similarly compared to Sigma. My guess is about twice of what Sigma charges + IS, so ~$2.5k

:D

In all seriousness, I'd expect it to be around the 35 MkII L price ($1,699), definitely sub $2,000, the 1.2 is only $1,899 and slower with IS is cheaper than faster without.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
ahsanford said:
I'm not saying that they will go hog wild and go all 'year of the lens' every year, but they could conceivably increment up their output without hiring everyone at Sigma to do it.

it doesn't seem so.

again, going back to 2005, canon has only done more than 4 once. the last 10 or so years, canon has done more on PK years, but part of that is due to the M.

2017: 2
2016: 6
2015: 4
2014: 7
2013: 4
2012: 9
2011: 4
2010: 5+2 tc's
2009: 5 ** only outlier
2008: 4

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Antono Refa said:
ahsanford said:
Antono Refa said:
Say FF lenses.

If Canon releases a new 85mm f/1.4 lens, it might release a new 50mm f/1.4 to compete with the slew of high end lenses in this spot (Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Otus, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art, Nikon 58mm f/1.4G). That would be a high end lens.

There are rumors about upgrades of the TS-E 45mm & 90mm for close to a decade. Those are high end lenses.

Canon could give the 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, and 100mm f/2 the same treatment as the 24mm f/2.8, 28mm f/2.8, and 35mm f/2 got.

Hey, I'd be singing Malaysia's praises were that true. But why unleash a horde of EF lenses at an EOS-M release? My money's on a fruit stripes gum of three different colored EF-M lenses.

Rumors are wrong from time to time. E.g. this rumors started as a release of an EF-S 18-55 in three different colors. Possibly, the lenses aren't built in Malaysia.

built in malaysia is pretty much fact. since it was registered for certification as being made there.

it never stated EF-s 18-55 either.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
redpoint said:
Any ballpark price on the upcoming 85 f/1.4?

It's time for me to get another fast prime, I haven't owned one since 2013.

Leaning towards $2k the more I think about it. 'World's first f/1.4 stabilized lens' is something Canon will build some pomp and circumstance around, one would think.

- A

Upvote 0