Best place to sell gear?

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Well, it looks as though the 5D mkIII price is really dropping and most everything I have read about it (reviews and this forum and a pro friend) is extremely positive. I've decided it is time to sell all my EFS lenses and my T5i that I've almost never used. That's all going to KEH, and the quote I got is comparable to what I have seen the Camera and lenses selling for on Ebay.

I'm even going to sell my EF 400mm f/5.6L to help me get the 5D MKIII, but I refuse to sell it for the initial online quote price that KEH offered ($635). That's just not enough for me. I see them getting actual bids on Ebay for up to $900 and mine is in mint condition and only about a year old. To be honest I love the lens, but If KEH quoted $800 it would be in the box and on its way because I want the EF 400mm f/2.8 mkII in another year or so anyway.

Has anyone else sold one of these lenses recently or know of a good way to sell it and get a decent price? I'm not faulting KEH on their quote. They probably have a warehouse full of used lenses they have to store. I just think I can do better than $635.

I've never sold any gear, so I am open to suggestions. Thanks!

PropeNonComposMentis

Photons Be Freeee !
Mar 29, 2015
Hey FanBoy !
Small circulation NewsPapers, or a sign out front ya house - on ya car window. You will always get a better price selling local/personal.
Maybe hit-up some of the local schools that have photography class'.
(Daughter comes home from school, "dad dad, I gotta' get this lens for school")

In Nevada, I'd almost expect the 400 to a kit lens. :)

Upvote 0
Wow, what rotten advice.
I've sold two 400 f/5.6 lens, $900 is the going price.
Go over to Fred Miranda .com and get with the program. It'll cost you $45 to join the buy/sell board, well worth it.
KEH, I don't know why anybody sells to them or B&H, Adorama - they are only going to give you 60% of the market value.

Ever heard of Craigslist?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
MCL said:
Remember to factor in all of the EBay fees. Percentages of the final selling, shipping, and PayPal. Selling a lens for $900 is going to cost you almost $100

You are right. EBay is a little steep. Like others have said here, local is probably best. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
wtlloyd said:
Wow, what rotten advice.
I've sold two 400 f/5.6 lens, $900 is the going price.
Go over to Fred Miranda .com and get with the program. It'll cost you $45 to join the buy/sell board, well worth it.
KEH, I don't know why anybody sells to them or B&H, Adorama - they are only going to give you 60% of the market value.

Ever heard of Craigslist?

Thanks for the tip. I've never been to FredMiranda.com so I will absolutely check that out. I may even hold off sending the camera and lens to KEH and see what I can get on Miranda's website.

Yes, I've heard of craigslist.

Thanks for the advice!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
PropeNonComposMentis said:
In Nevada, I'd almost expect the 400 to a kit lens. :)

Ha! You are so right! Everything is at least 15 miles away. I live in Mesquite. If it were not for Utah and Arizona being so close I don't think I would even own a camera. Even the cacti shun this place. We'll be relocating back to Florida in a couple of years.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I usually list on Craigslist first, but the buyers seem to expect a steep discount. Then, I list on ebay at a fixed price. The fees are lower for fixed price items, but Paypal gets you. You do get more by selling on ebay, so that can be a partial compensation.

Prices on FM tend to be a little lower than ebay prices and you still have to pay a big fee to Paypal.

Selling to a dealer is a last resort, I've never had to do it.

Upvote 0