Big Announcements Coming Next Week [CR3]

I'm actually hoping that one of the Powershots is the Panasonic FZ-1000 killer. :)

My next interchangeable-lens camera will be my first. I like the idea of full frame, but don't like Canon's current offerings in that arena, and can't even afford a 6D body right now. (I expect I could swing $800-1000 in a couple months for the above-mentioned wished-for powershot, though.) Also I don't want to have to get all new lenses when I'd upgrade from crop sensor to full frame. (If only there was something like a 16-300mm F/3.5-5.6 lens that was usable on FF...)

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
gsealy said:
It will be interesting to see what Canon does with video on this camera. If this is a 5DIII replacement then it could likely be priced around $4K. BUT will it shoot 4K video? I am thinking it will not because then it would undercut the planned C300 release that has 4K and priced much higher. We know already that the C100, which is priced around $5K doesn' t have it. However, if this more like a new 1D camera and priced around $10K then we could see 4K video as a feature. Didn't Canon just reduce the 1DC price? So maybe this is what it will be -- a new 1D something camera.

The Sony FS7 is $8000 and is not being undercut by the $2500 Sony A7s. However, for some reason I DO sometimes think Canon is under such silly impressions. If the new 5 body does NOT have internal 4k capability of any sort, it's going to be perceived as a big fail, and I frankly couldn't blame reviewers for seeing it as such given everyone else going that direction or ALREADY there.

+100

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
PureClassA said:
The Sony FS7 is $8000 and is not being undercut by the $2500 Sony A7s. However, for some reason I DO sometimes think Canon is under such silly impressions. If the new 5 body does NOT have internal 4k capability of any sort, it's going to be perceived as a big fail, and I frankly couldn't blame reviewers for seeing it as such given everyone else going that direction or ALREADY there.

By who? By all the people that want video on their camera. So that's purely personal. I'm not interested at all in video, so for me that would never be the reason of a fail. I see the same remarks for every new model coming over here. Simply because people want to use a camera in another way as the manufacturer did create it. No, I don't want a body that must do all (video, high speed, ...). I like the fact that cameras are dedicated to a specific area of use. That doesn't way to say that you can also use for other ways, but they are really not intended as general purpose tools which deliver the max of specification in all areas. Forget that, will never happen.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
The camera won't be a fail. The lack of THAT feature will be a major fail based on competitive market forces. I'm a still shooter too. I believe in a camera for that. It won't be a fail for ME. But I know perceptions. My point was I don't think Canon will let that slide and thinking it will somehow inhibit their C300 is just not right. If anything, the could stand to ditch the C100 but that won't happen. All that said, there is no reason that Canon who friggin pioneered DSLR video can't put 4k into their 5 body. As a feature, given Canon's recent history in DSLR video....its a fail if they dont

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
By who? By all the people that want video on their camera. So that's purely personal. I'm not interested at all in video, so for me that would never be the reason of a fail. I see the same remarks for every new model coming over here. Simply because people want to use a camera in another way as the manufacturer did create it. No, I don't want a body that must do all (video, high speed, ...). I like the fact that cameras are dedicated to a specific area of use. That doesn't way to say that you can also use for other ways, but they are really not intended as general purpose tools which deliver the max of specification in all areas. Forget that, will never happen.

I second that. Maybe it's because I'm coming from the programmers side and there is one written rule in Unix, since the 60ies: "One Job - One Tool!". If you make a specific Tool, in this case for photography, make it right and to the point. Don't try to make an univeral-swiss-armyknife because it will do a lot of things but nothing really right, because it has to overcome compromises... everytime.

If they'd include 4k it would be nice, but just for capturing 8MP-Photos @25/50/60 Frames. If they don't... I don't care. This is optional, also a swift screen (I hate those!) or an EVF. Canon should make a good sensor and useable ergonomics, paired with weathersealing and batterylife.

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
The camera won't be a fail. The lack of THAT feature will be a major fail based on competitive market forces. I'm a still shooter too. I believe in a camera for that. It won't be a fail for ME. But I know perceptions. My point was I don't think Canon will let that slide and thinking it will somehow inhibit their C300 is just not right. If anything, the could stand to ditch the C100 but that won't happen. All that said, there is no reason that Canon who friggin pioneered DSLR video can't put 4k into their 5 body. As a feature, given Canon's recent history in DSLR video....its a fail if they dont

You seem to be under the assumption, that Canon really care about video in the DSLR realm. They unintentionally started the DSLR video trend, but they have done nothing to sustain it. If they so far have been unwilling to put even basic video features in a DSLR type body(zebras, peaking etc.) then 4k video seem unlikely.

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
You seem to be under the assumption, that Canon really care about video in the DSLR realm. They unintentionally started the DSLR video trend, but they have done nothing to sustain it. If they so far have been unwilling to put even basic video features in a DSLR type body(zebras, peaking etc.) then 4k video seem unlikely.

Right and more importantly, they would canibalize thir own existing products (e.g. C300).

Upvote 0
In the past, we had cameras that took still shots and cameras that took video and they were separate specialized equipment that did their individual task as well as the existing technology enabled.

As different technologies matured, it became possible to combine still cameras and video cameras into the same box. This is where we are presently.

Given the increasing specialization in emerging technologies, will there come a time where it will be no longer technologically desirable to have a combination of still and video in the same body, but to have, once again, separate specialized still and video cameras? Each optimizing the appropriate technology and design for the different task.

As previously posted, trying to do all things for all people often results in doing less for all people. There is a reason Ferrari does not make pick up trucks. ;D

Well one guy did

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-worlds-one-only-ferrari-pickup-truck-is-really-qu-1580580991 LoL

Maybe I am wrong. :-[ ;D
I am sure that in the future that still cameras will still have "some" video capability. But if high specialization in video capability is desired, would that not need a specialized separate body?

Upvote 0

Rahul

Wish I had more time to shoot
Jan 28, 2015
AcutancePhotography said:
if high specialization in video capability is desired, would that not need a specialized separate body?

I agree with most of your post but the above statement ... wouldn't that hold true even today? High specialization video is done using much more sophisticated cameras and lenses that are insanely expensive. The gear is more often than not rented by Pros and hardly ever purchased for individual use.

Upvote 0
FEBS said:
PureClassA said:

I very much agree with this. While 4k would be nice, it's way down my list of priorities. I think I've used video recording only three times while using my 7D and never on my 5DIII. Different horses for different courses though. :)

Upvote 0
Rumors from Japan: There is an discussion between Sony-fans and Canon-fans about the coming high MP cameras. A lot of war between them. On thing appeared often: Price of the Alpha 7R successor is rumored about 2500€ (range 2100-2800€), the Canon price will be definitively much higher, some say double the price of the Sony body. But no one expects an high-fps body there.

The 750D will be an big step upward, but the rumors do not see an exeptional rise in IQ, more in MP. Price tag about 900-1000€, but only a few people mentioned the price.

If the high MP Canon body is priced at this height, I hope the specifications of the body will be "prime" too.

Let us see, if my Japanese friends do know more, or if they are just rumoring too...

G
Daniela
from the sunny and deep blue skied Tyrol

Upvote 0

dtheune

Canon 6D
Jan 21, 2015
vscd said:

I second that. Maybe it's because I'm coming from the programmers side and there is one written rule in Unix, since the 60ies: "One Job - One Tool!". If you make a specific Tool, in this case for photography, make it right and to the point. Don't try to make an univeral-swiss-armyknife because it will do a lot of things but nothing really right, because it has to overcome compromises... everytime.

If they'd include 4k it would be nice, but just for capturing 8MP-Photos @25/50/60 Frames. If they don't... I don't care. This is optional, also a swift screen (I hate those!) or an EVF. Canon should make a good sensor and useable ergonomics, paired with weathersealing and batterylife.

Do you own a cellular phone or a smart phone? Does it only make phone calls or do various tasks? Who's to say that a DSLR with Photo/Video is not ONE thing. Videography has it's roots in photography. There has been be a evolution in photography. Motion Pictures at it's best is Photography in Motion. I believe Canon is interested in selling cameras and other things they sell. Canon is clearly making video an important part of their commercial marketing strategy. If one person has only one wrench in his tool box and another, has a tool box with a screw driver and hammer, I would say, cool, you use what you want and I use what I want, but don't rain on my parade if I like having more tools at my discretion. Video is a feature of DSLR cameras, just like the phone is now a feature of a mobile device.

Upvote 0
Triggyman said:
I'm very much interested for the next Rebel, and the M3.

I need a smaller APS-C camera (Canon System) that's not too pricey but can produce better quality pictures than my SX50.

If the Rebel and M3 are too expensive for its offered features, I can settle for the T5i, which will go down in price.

You see, we have our own reasons to be excited for what others think are not that exciting to them.

I have the Rebel t4i and I use it a lot. It's a great camera. The t5i is very close to it with a few upgrades. If you go that route you can purchase the t5i body refurbished from Canon for less than $600 (and sometimes lower). Having that you can spend money on EF L lenses, the combination of which will give you great pictures and support going forward with a FF camera in the future. Just a suggestion.

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
vscd said:

Sidestepping the thread briefly: Wouldn't Vi be a lot less popular in the *nix-world if that were true?

Besides that I fully understand and agree with your reasoning. Canon should primarily focus on making a sensor that leaves the competition (and forum trolls) speechless for a number of years. Most other things they already excel at.

Upvote 0