Blurry Images of Canon EOS 5D Mark IV?

Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Canon Rumors said:
Chaitanya said:
clickbait...

Nah, Keith at Northlight isn't like that. I'm not either....
I was hoping Canon would incorporate AF selector lever from 7D mk II, that camera looks exactly like 5D mk III without any cosmetic changes. Still would wait until release date for solid leaks.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Images are seriously so blurry you could probably convince me that this was the next 1Dx Mark III.

In all seriousness though, as someone sitting here with his 5D3 in his hands, I really don't know if there's anything to legitimately make of this. The white "button" on the prism looks like it's the same sensor location marker that my 5D3 has, not a button. It's in the same spot, and there's no other obvious white markings on the prism if they happened to move that, so I'm pretty confident that's what that is.

I don't really see any evidence of the 7D mark II's lever around the joystick either, looks like an effect of the lighting that's drawing out the shadow of the joystick. So I'm pretty confident this is just a 5D3.

That said, it almost looked like there was a little white marking by the erase button on the bottom left, which my 5D3 doesn't have. Could just be an image artifact though. There's also a weird ridge above the left-hand controls, just under the menu button, but that could easily be an effect of the terrible lighting. So I don't really see any conclusive proof that this is a 5D4, and if it is, I don't see how we could get anything from this image besides "it's a 5D series"

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
H. Jones said:
Images are seriously so blurry you could probably convince me that this was the next 1Dx Mark III.

In all seriousness though, as someone sitting here with his 5D3 in his hands, I really don't know if there's anything to legitimately make of this. The white "button" on the prism looks like it's the same sensor location marker that my 5D3 has, not a button. It's in the same spot, and there's no other obvious white markings on the prism if they happened to move that, so I'm pretty confident that's what that is.

I don't really see any evidence of the 7D mark II's lever around the joystick either, looks like an effect of the lighting that's drawing out the shadow of the joystick. So I'm pretty confident this is just a 5D3.

That said, it almost looked like there was a little white marking by the erase button on the bottom left, which my 5D3 doesn't have. Could just be an image artifact though. There's also a weird ridge above the left-hand controls, just under the menu button, but that could easily be an effect of the terrible lighting. So I don't really see any conclusive proof that this is a 5D4, and if it is, I don't see how we could get anything from this image besides "it's a 5D series"
I agree they are blurry and distorted, however, the pentaprism appears to have the same sort of GPS hump as the 1Dx-II so to me that disqualifies it from being a 5Ds-type camera or a 5D-III. It lack the integrated battery grip so that excludes the 1Dx-II. It lacks the the AF toggle switch so it's not a 7D-II.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
StudentOfLight said:
H. Jones said:

I agree they are blurry and distorted, however, the pentaprism appears to have the same sort of GPS hump as the 1Dx-II so to me that disqualifies it from being a 5Ds-type camera or a 5D-III. It lack the integrated battery grip so that excludes the 1Dx-II. It lacks the the AF toggle switch so it's not a 7D-II.

I'm almost entirely confident that the bump on top is just the hotshoe, the image is so severely distorted it's impossible to tell either way.

Here's a quick example in paint of how the side view compares to the prism on the 5D mark III to back this up.

a0WnVKw.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
H. Jones said:
I'm almost entirely confident that the bump on top is just the hotshoe, the image is so severely distorted it's impossible to tell either way.

You're wrong, you need to work on your photo interpretation skills. This is clearly the 5D Mark IV, and this is clearly Elvis. :)

Attachments

• HaveFaith.png
    HaveFaith.png
    410 KB · Views: 983
Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
vscd said:
That's one of the things I like most on Canon. The (great) ergonomics of the layout stay... there is no reason why a Mark IV should change that. And if it's really the Mark IV I like that there is no swivvvvel-screen! 8)

I've asked around about a swivel screen and no one knows. I don't think it will have it for durability reasons. The 5D3 is a mini tank, I'm not sure how they maintain that and add moving parts to the exterior.

wireless charging and wireless datalink... then the screen is a seperate item. IP issues then are zero, broken screen is then a simple swap of a detachable unit.. I'd regard a detachable screen as a major step up, include shutter buttons etc on the back of it and you have a full remote as well.

Not saying that's what they'll do, but they COULD do that.

Upvote 0
Keith Cooper writes "I was kindly sent some screen grabs from a US TV show where there are a couple of Canon DSLRs being used for close shots, mounted on a golf cart. It seems that the footage from these cameras looked just a bit too good for a 5D3."

How exactly is the footage "too good" to be from a 5D3? What an absolutely lousy excuse for posting these blurry pics that tell us absolutely nothing. BS click bait to waste people's time.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
neuroanatomist said:
H. Jones said:

You're wrong, you need to work on your photo interpretation skills. This is clearly the 5D Mark IV, and this is clearly Elvis. :)

Wow! I hope I look that good at 81.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
H. Jones said:
StudentOfLight said:
H. Jones said:

Here's a quick example in paint of how the side view compares to the prism on the 5D mark III to back this up.

a0WnVKw.jpg
I wasn't referring to the hotshoe, but rather the kink in the line on the pentaprism housing further forward. (see attached) I know it could be be a combination of jpg artifacts and lens distortion. I will consider myself to be 100% wrong about this if the camera comes out without such a GPS/wifi hump.

Attachments

• Speculation.jpg
    Speculation.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 153
Upvote 0
Looks like it came from Americas Got Talent at 1:30.

http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/video/judge-cuts-night-3/3068159

Something about the prism box looks larger. Considering a 5ds/r looks similar to a 5d3, I wouldn't be surprised if a 5d4 looked similar. Hard to tell video quality on the web, but I'd believe a broadcast network would have demo units and would opt for 4k for a primetime show. Moreso than some film crew leaking it on an instagram post (like that post a few weeks ago).

Upvote 0