Camera bag for camping

Dec 17, 2013
Well, yes, water is #1 of the "10 essentials". ;D Especially when you are sweating it out like crazy. I have thought about getting a pack bladder for the extra water, but I have worried about the bladder breaking or leaking onto the camera equipment. I like at least one bottle on a carabinier hanging off my belt - very easy to get at, and I remember to drink whether I think I need it or not.

Concerning size of pack, 60 L, plus a bear canister hanging off the pack or under a floating lid, seems about right volume-wise for long weekend trips.

At least one pro photographer, granted, a large format photographer, uses llamas as pack animals, and the recent Backpacker magazine had a funny article about goats as pack animals. (hint - goats are more stubborn than mules and donkeys).

Upvote 0
Carrying plenty of water is dependent on the environment, particularly the temps and the availability of water along the trail. I carried between 4L and 6L of water depending on whether trail camps were dry or not. We also carried a Katydyn Water Filter and purification tablets as backup.

Everything in your pack should be protected from water in dry bags, ziplock bags, etc, esp your sleep gear. If your water bladder spang a leak, that should be no different than if the pack fell into a river or stream or got drenched in a rain storm.

The external pockets and configuration of my Kelty backpack allows me to use my MSR Dromedary 3L bladder on the outside of my pack but otherwise it would be on the inside like most other folks.

Upvote 0
I have been using a Gossamer Gear Mariposa backpack which is an older version of the newer http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks/mariposa-ultralight-backpack-all-bundle-dyneema.html that has a removable hip belt. When bringing photography equipment, I replace the hip belt with a Think tank belt and attach my Think Tank holsters, lens bags and accessory bags as needed to the exposed side portions of the belt. This gives me an ultralight backpack with the ability to add photo gear as needed and the camera and lenses are readily accessible in the side holsters.

Upvote 0
Lloyd said:
I have been using a Gossamer Gear Mariposa backpack which is an older version of the newer http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks/mariposa-ultralight-backpack-all-bundle-dyneema.html that has a removable hip belt. When bringing photography equipment, I replace the hip belt with a Think tank belt and attach my Think Tank holsters, lens bags and accessory bags as needed to the exposed side portions of the belt. This gives me an ultralight backpack with the ability to add photo gear as needed and the camera and lenses are readily accessible in the side holsters.
Interesting! What about when it rains?

Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
mustafaakarsu said:
This is what I'm thinking to get, this one is expensive but there is a cheaper one in same brand. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1021054-REG/clik_elite_ce610bl_contrejour_40_camera_backpack.html
What kind of trip are you taking? A 35 Liter pack isn't very big and it will be even smaller after you put in camera gear. A 35 liter pack is usually only big enough for warm weather weekend trips. Will you have to carry a tent, sleep gear, etc or are you just doing day hikes? I really hope you are already an experienced hiker/camper so you know what you're doing on the trail. Remember that back country pro photographers sometimes hire assistants to help them carry gear when necessary. Don't over do the gear carrying it by yourself!

It's not serious camping, basically we are driving nearby the location we want to do camping, we are trekking around with backpacks but for sleeping we are going back to car to take tents and stuff. So it's not serious camping.

Upvote 0
mustafaakarsu said:
RustyTheGeek said:
mustafaakarsu said:
This is what I'm thinking to get, this one is expensive but there is a cheaper one in same brand. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1021054-REG/clik_elite_ce610bl_contrejour_40_camera_backpack.html
What kind of trip are you taking? A 35 Liter pack isn't very big and it will be even smaller after you put in camera gear. A 35 liter pack is usually only big enough for warm weather weekend trips. Will you have to carry a tent, sleep gear, etc or are you just doing day hikes? I really hope you are already an experienced hiker/camper so you know what you're doing on the trail. Remember that back country pro photographers sometimes hire assistants to help them carry gear when necessary. Don't over do the gear carrying it by yourself!

It's not serious camping, basically we are driving nearby the location we want to do camping, we are trekking around with backpacks but for sleeping we are going back to car to take tents and stuff. So it's not serious camping.
That makes a world of difference! If I'm not mistaken, that means that you aren't really camping out of your backpack, you are car camping and day hiking. That means you're likely carrying mostly camera equipment, a couple liters of water and some snacks. So I'm guessing you're day pack hiking a few miles at most primarily to see the sights, enjoy the group companionship and take a lot of pictures.

I still think buying an expensive photography specific backpack is overkill and fairly useless as a true hiking+camping backpack but to each his own. You can always put camera gear in to a serious hiking backpack but it's hard (if not impossible) to take an expensive photography backpack and use it for serious hiking.

Regardless, have a great time and let us know what you finally decide! :)

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
mustafaakarsu said:
RustyTheGeek said:
mustafaakarsu said:

oop sorry, disregard my post then. i have a lowepro flipside that i use for dayhikes, but its more for cities because of the excellent theft-proof opening. you might be better off with something you can access without taking off though.

Upvote 0
You can always put camera gear in to a serious hiking backpack but it's hard (if not impossible) to take an expensive photography backpack and use it for serious hiking.

I could not agree more. I've been using a F-stop Loka for a few years now, and while it's a great backpack and probably one of the finest camera backpacks available, I feel a lot more comfortable with my Arcteryx Astral 65 even if I put twice as much weight in it. There is a world of difference, at least to my me and my back. I would say that camera backpack manufacturers have a very long way to go, when it comes to ergonomics. I'm thinking of adding a Lowepro Toploader AW 50 to my kit, now that I have sold the Loka, to be chucked in with the rest of my hiking kit. It should hold a L-plated 6D with a wide angle zoom nice and snugly.

Upvote 0
Fotofanten said:
You can always put camera gear in to a serious hiking backpack but it's hard (if not impossible) to take an expensive photography backpack and use it for serious hiking.

I could not agree more. I've been using a F-stop Loka for a few years now, and while it's a great backpack and probably one of the finest camera backpacks available, I feel a lot more comfortable with my Arcteryx Astral 65 even if I put twice as much weight in it. There is a world of difference, at least to my me and my back. I would say that camera backpack manufacturers have a very long way to go, when it comes to ergonomics. I'm thinking of adding a Lowepro Toploader AW 50 to my kit, now that I have sold the Loka, to be chucked in with the rest of my hiking kit. It should hold a L-plated 6D with a wide angle zoom nice and snugly.

Generally I agree that trekking/mountaineering-specific packs are the best available in terms of wearing comfort. But the comparison of the F-Stop Loka with the Arc'teryx Altra is not really fair. The Loka is a 37 litre pack with not that much padding on the hip belt and the shoulder straps. It is not meant to carry 30 kilos like the Altra (which is a fabulous pack by the way). If you try a Tilopa BC (48 litres) or a Satori EXP (62 litres) you might get a rather different experience: both packs are very well constructed and padded so that you can carry your 20-30 kilos of photo gear, mountaineering stuff, clothes, food etc. quite comfortably. It's still heavy to lug around 20 kilos though… ;D

Upvote 0
stefsan said:
Fotofanten said:

Generally I agree that trekking/mountaineering-specific packs are the best available in terms of wearing comfort. But the comparison of the F-Stop Loka with the Arc'teryx Altra is not really fair. The Loka is a 37 litre pack with not that much padding on the hip belt and the shoulder straps. It is not meant to carry 30 kilos like the Altra (which is a fabulous pack by the way). If you try a Tilopa BC (48 litres) or a Satori EXP (62 litres) you might get a rather different experience: both packs are very well constructed and padded so that you can carry your 20-30 kilos of photo gear, mountaineering stuff, clothes, food etc. quite comfortably. It's still heavy to lug around 20 kilos though… ;D

Meh... 20 kilos (44 lbs) isn't that bad... but 30 kilos (66 lbs) is getting heavy! ;)

IMHO - Once you pass about 20 kilos (44 lbs) every kilo (~2 lbs) after that becomes more and more significant. And don't forget the general rule that you shouldn't carry more than approx 1/3 of your body weight. I weigh between 172 - 178 lbs so that means I shouldn't carry more than about 55 - 60 lbs for long distances. I have carried more than that for miles and it does add up after a while regardless of how well your pack fit is dialed in and optimized. Make sure you have decent hiking boots and socks that are broken in and comfortable!

And I think I read somewhere in this thread that heavy gear goes in the bottom of the pack. That's actually incorrect. The heavy gear goes as close to your body as possible towards the middle/top of the pack so that the weight is transferred more directly through the pack frame to your hips and legs. If it's in the bottom or outside swinging it pulls you off balance and is not carried well.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
I can manage about 35 to 40 pounds, and that's about it. But I am small, 115 to 120 pounds. In my estimation, the F/Stop Satori is more than up to that task, provided your torso is the right size. It has good load lifter straps and a really comfortable hip belt. The insert is tethered next to the backboard.

Boots - good boots are more important than anything. If you don't have well-broken-in perfect-fitting boots, you won't get to your destination. I favor full leather heavy duty boots for any packing beyond light day packs (15 pounds or less). I have just bought some day-hike low-cut shoes and tested them out on a local scree slope and on a long day hike.

Upvote 0
http://www.mindshiftgear.com/ ? As Rusty is saying, start with your size, get a pack that will fit you, as you'll be able to carry more and be less fatigued with a properly fitting pack. Figure out what you're carrying compared to who you're going with - and who is carrying what.

Where are you going, how far under foot power, what type of terrain and weather are you expecting, how many other folks are going? A T3i with 2 lenses are better added to a traditional backpack than a special photo bag purchase. Check out rental options on both types of bags, since you may not need the bag for another year or two and what you carry will change.

Upvote 0
Whenever you try out a backpack, you should spend plenty of time trying it on in the store and fitting it to your hip and torso. The fitting should be done with at least 30+ pounds of weight added to simulate a load.

With regard to boots, everyone has their ideal fit and style. But if you're carrying more weight, heavier duty boots are highly suggested (as opposed to trail shoes) and should probably include ankle support. All leather boots are good but might be a bit hot. Some people's feet sweat more than others. Full synthetic/wool socks are mandatory. NEVER wear cotton socks!!

Personally, until you have carried a decent amount of weight farther than 3-5 miles up and down hills, you really don't know how well the boots will work. Typically you need at least a half size larger boot than your normal daily shoe size due to foot expansion when hiking. Make sure there is enough room in the toe box when going downhill or you'll have toe pain and you might even lose a toenail if a toe is hitting the boot too much when going downhill with your pack.

Upvote 0
The fstop satori looks nice but there doesn't appear to be many options for carrying much outside the pack. There aren't many points to tie on a bed roll, tent, sleeping pad (above or below) or other bulky items that don't fit inside. There don't appear to be many outside pockets. I'm pretty old school I guess but when I take enough stuff to support me and a partner for 2 days or 10 days, I use at least 65-85 liters of space inside my pack depending on weather temps and amount of food needed. And that's before any camera stuff is packed.

That interior space number doesn't include a couple lightweight Eagle Creek zipper pouches I hang outside for small items like headlights, batteries, etc, my camp chair I strap on the outside and four different water containers that I can attach securely to the sides due to the way my pack is made. The water containers include a 3L MSR dromedary water bladder, a 48 oz Nalgene collapsible soft canteen and two 24 oz Nalgene bottles that fit the (too slim for normal liter bottles) mesh pockets made for water bottles. Close to 6L of water capacity (depending on needs) that is not using space inside the pack.

I see this a lot in most back packs I see, photography or not. It's hard to organize most internal frame packs because there are few pockets or attachment points. My Kelty Redcloud 90 (from 2011) is more versatile than most internal frame packs and the price doesn't break the bank.

Sometime I'll try to take a few pictures of my set up for others to see. I'm just too swamped right now to do it.

Good luck!!! :D

Upvote 0
stefsan said:
Fotofanten said:

You are right, my comparison was unfair. I shared my experience because I was surprised by the amount of difference. For those who carry a lot of gear and need quick access to it, I agree that the bigger F-stop packs represents a very good choice. But do try before you buy! I did not have the chance to do so.

Upvote 0
I personally think any camera "backpacking backpack" is a huge waste of money and the people buying them are not really backpackers, they just like to think they are. Weight is a huge burden when backpacking, and all of those camera packs are ridiculously heavy. For example, the 35L Rover Pro is 5 pounds! I think my main pack is 1.5 pounds for comparison...

Just get a pack that fits you well and use the money you save on a good down sleeping bag. If you go this route, get lens cases for each lens and make sure it has a belt loop. When you get to where you are gonna be shooting, put each lens case on the waist belt of the pack and unstrap the tripod from the back.

Works perfectly for me all the time. I had no complaints when I was doing 18 miles and 10k of elevation gain a day through the snow. Plus my pack has loops for ice axes. I could be wrong, but I have not seen that on any camera pack.

Upvote 0
Niterider said:
I personally think any camera "backpacking backpack" is a huge waste of money and the people buying them are not really backpackers, they just like to think they are. Weight is a huge burden when backpacking, and all of those camera packs are ridiculously heavy. For example, the 35L Rover Pro is 5 pounds! I think my main pack is 1.5 pounds for comparison...

Just get a pack that fits you well and use the money you save on a good down sleeping bag. If you go this route, get lens cases for each lens and make sure it has a belt loop. When you get to where you are gonna be shooting, put each lens case on the waist belt of the pack and unstrap the tripod from the back.

Works perfectly for me all the time. I had no complaints when I was doing 18 miles and 10k of elevation gain a day through the snow. Plus my pack has loops for ice axes. I could be wrong, but I have not seen that on any camera pack.

Niterider is being brutally honest. If you want a photography backpack to carry lots of camera gear more comfortably on a day hike, by all means, go for it. If you plan to do real hiking and live out of your backpack for 2+ days, do yourself a favor and get real hiking gear just like you already do for real photography. Learn how to camp, hike and carry weight. Get in shape. Camp with others that are more experienced and become a knowledgeable outdoor person. You'll likely spend over $1000 - $1500 before you're done and you'll still lust after some better hiking gear. And you will likely devise a special unique method and system for your photography so you can enjoy hiking and photography simultaneously.

Upvote 0
My personal setup is an F Stop ICU (a couple sizes depending on the situation) to hold all the camera gear, which goes into a regular backpacking backpack (either a 55L Osprey or 75L Gregory). I attach the camera itself to my shoulder strap with a carabiner if I want easy access. The tripod straps to the outside usually, and I put my Lee filters, remote and an extra battery in the brain of the pack for quick access. I do plan on picking up an F Stop bag that fits the ICU's for a smaller day pack down the road. They seem well built and intelligently designed.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. The varied knowledge is amazing on this forum.

So far, I'm leaning towards getting the dedicated hiking backpack and a padded insert as an ICU as many of you have suggested. So in terms of the backpack, I'm liking the reviews on the Osprey Aether 60L pack and plan to try it out in person later this week. Might change my mind later on but there's still plenty of time for that. As for the ICU, I like the Clik Elite Capsule so far. Would have gone for the Mountainsmith Kit Cube as suggested earlier by Eagle Eye, but being in Canada, the price with shipping is fairly ridiculous when there are alternative options... I'll keep on looking around though.

Keep on coming with the interesting tips everyone. I'm still very new to backpacking so it's good to learn.

Upvote 0
EOS rebel said:
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. The varied knowledge is amazing on this forum.

So far, I'm leaning towards getting the dedicated hiking backpack and a padded insert as an ICU as many of you have suggested. So in terms of the backpack, I'm liking the reviews on the Osprey Aether 60L pack and plan to try it out in person later this week. Might change my mind later on but there's still plenty of time for that. As for the ICU, I like the Clik Elite Capsule so far. Would have gone for the Mountainsmith Kit Cube as suggested earlier by Eagle Eye, but being in Canada, the price with shipping is fairly ridiculous when there are alternative options... I'll keep on looking around though.

Keep on coming with the interesting tips everyone. I'm still very new to backpacking so it's good to learn.

Try to resist the temptation to buy the ultimate backpack now. Once you have some real hiking experience, your taste/need/knowledge factor will probably change. There are a lot of great makes and while Osprey is a great pack, it's pretty expensive. Keep your mind open. Buy what works for YOU, not what the marketing sells you. Depending on your area and what outfitters are near you go to at least two or three well stocked stores and try on at least 6 to 12 packs that you like. Hopefully each store will have qualified staff to help you get a good fit. It's important that the pack fit your hip and torso correctly. If not, it doesn't matter what price or cool factor the pack has, it's simply not for you. Make sure it's fitted to you with at least 30 lbs or of weight in it. Once fitted, walk around the store for 15 minutes or so with the weight. After you have tried a few packs, you should pretty much know your measurements so future fittings will go faster. Google some info on how the pack should fit and how most packs adjust. (Main adjustment straps are hip, shoulder and load lifters.)

BTW, you may run across some great forums that are dedicated to ultralite hiking. As tempting as it is to embrace this type of hiking, it's an advanced thing and an exercise in greater and greater compromises to save weight. It's not as easy as it sounds and since you are carrying camera equipment, you are already breaking all those rules anyway. Save weight by getting a great down sleeping bag, upper line ultralite tent and reduce your non-essential gear like that blacksmith anvil you probably want to carry.

Personally, I am using a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 tent and a zpacks 20 degree water resistant down sleeping bag. (zpacks also makes a super ultralite tent but it's expensive and takes some getting used to.) Also, Thermarest NeoAir is your absolute best friend! I'll share more info later if you ask but for now, just focus on getting the backpack, decent boots and socks.

Upvote 0