Camera bag for camping

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Gotta say something (although it does reiterate some what's been posted thus far). Much of your decision for this particular trip depends on the trip specifics. Don't spend hundreds on a pack that won't serve your purpose. I have Arcterx, Osprey and an F-stop Loka. I also have a flimsy lightweight day pack. There are uses for each. Questions to be answered include how quickly you want to access your gear. No matter which pack I am using, my camera is in a Thinktank Holster with my lens of choice for that day. The holster is hung from my pack shoulder straps and not my neck and is secured against my torso with either the backpack hip belt or an independent waist belt (depending on which backpack I am carrying). The camera strap is around my neck but very loosely as a security blanket with no camera weight on that neck strap unless I take the camera out of the hoster and the holster top is partially zipped protecting the camera but allowing the camera strap to come out. If the weather turns bad, I put the camera strap completely in TH TT holster and throw the all-weather cover on it.

For additional camera gear, I've had stuff inside the backpack (maybe use the F-stop ICU but have also just wrapped in socks or clothing) but have also hung a Lowepro lens case off the backpack hip or shoulder strap if I want quick access to a second lens. The goal is always the same: immediate access to my camera in front of me while protecting my stuff from the elements.

Finally, I agree with everyone who says not to skimp on boots (and wear them a lot for many days before going on the trail) and account for water which can get quite heavy and also leak into your camera gear in whatever pack you carry if you don't account for that.

Have a great trip.

JP

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
f-stop Satori does have a lot of Molle strapping on it, and some other ways to attach stuff to the outside, but it is true that it doesn't have a bedroll strap setup on the bottom. I have attached the tripod to the pack front midline by threading a pair of home-made stiff plastic loops (two plastic trash bag ties taped together with duct tape) through some loops near the top center of the pack, and then placing two tripod legs in the two stiff plastic loops. Perfect fit. You can mount many lens cases on Molle strapping. You can buy a lot of other gear that is made for putting on Molle strapping, generally from military suppliers. (Molle is the standard attachment system for the US Army, and lots of first responders use it as well).

Ultralight camping gear is not cheap! I will say that the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 is a nice freestanding double-wall solo tent with the single annoyance of an end entry instead of a side entry. So I plop my butt just inside the tent, feet outside, take off shoes, and back into the tent. Fine and dandy, but it gets old if I am popping in and out of the tent through the night managing astro-landscape shots. If weather is good, I don't bother with the fly, I like the unobstructed view. It is a great beginner's tent, 5 minute set-up, probably one of the lightest freestanding tents out there.

Upvote 0
NancyP said:
f-stop Satori does have a lot of Molle strapping on it, and some other ways to attach stuff to the outside, but it is true that it doesn't have a bedroll strap setup on the bottom. I have attached the tripod to the pack front midline by threading a pair of home-made stiff plastic loops (two plastic trash bag ties taped together with duct tape) through some loops near the top center of the pack, and then placing two tripod legs in the two stiff plastic loops. Perfect fit. You can mount many lens cases on Molle strapping. You can buy a lot of other gear that is made for putting on Molle strapping, generally from military suppliers. (Molle is the standard attachment system for the US Army, and lots of first responders use it as well).

Ultralight camping gear is not cheap! I will say that the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 is a nice freestanding double-wall solo tent with the single annoyance of an end entry instead of a side entry. So I plop my butt just inside the tent, feet outside, take off shoes, and back into the tent. Fine and dandy, but it gets old if I am popping in and out of the tent through the night managing astro-landscape shots. If weather is good, I don't bother with the fly, I like the unobstructed view. It is a great beginner's tent, 5 minute set-up, probably one of the lightest freestanding tents out there.

I have the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 for the side entry instead of the Fly Creek end entry. It's about the same weight but without the end entry which I don't like either. Totally kills the ergonomics of the tent for me and makes the vestibule virtually worthless.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
I am pretty small, and if needed, everything except for the boots can come inside the tent. But yes, I would have spent a few more bucks and a few more ounces and gotten the Copper Spur UL1, if I had tried out the tent a few times before buying. But it is good enough, not worth changing.
I just noticed that LowePro Trekker bags have torso length adjustment. That might help people who are wanting a pack for heavy all-camera-gear loads over short distances.

Upvote 0
Good to know NancyP. :)

Personally, I think there are two categories of photography and backpacks.

1. Serious and extended camping/hiking, etc. This is 90% Trail Priority / 10% Photography (regardless of the purpose of the trip or the amount of photo gear needed) because the person needs to live on the trail and be comfortable, healthy and hydrated for the entire time. They need to have good appropriate gear/boots/etc for the trip and be in good shape to handle the physical demands. Photography may be the reason for the trip but failure to properly outfit for the journey is courting disaster. Taking too much of anything, esp photography equipment, may literally break the hiker, the pack or both.

2. Light hiking to a major photography project/activity. This is 80% Photography / 20% Hiking and is likely a day trip or overnight journey, ideally in warm weather not too far away from the car and occurring in fairly hospitable locations. This is what I think photography packs are designed for. They are made to help carry a lot of photography gear a few miles max with no need for much more than a snack and some water for the person. They are designed with a lot of padding that I often find overkill since I don't plan to play kickball with the pack but it makes most folks feel better knowing they are carrying an extra 10 lbs of foam padding around all their gear. I do a LOT of scout camping, summer camps, and outdoor events. I have found that for what I do, it's easier to take a trunk in a vehicle with plenty of gear, individual lens cases, etc and put what is needed in a simple day pack and walk lighter. Someday I might get a photography daypack but they seldom hold enough to make it worth the high cost. You get some photo gear loaded into all the dedicated slots, etc and you have little room available for anything non-photography related. And it's heavy. And everyone sees you carrying around a big expensive photo pack. I look geeky enough already thank you. 8)

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
You summed it up well, RustytheGeek. I noticed that some photo packs are not black and look more like standard backpacks (unless you have a tripod hanging off it). The small daypacks from Lowe Photo come in ungodly bright orange, a particularly nice feature if you hike in hunting country. I wear an orange too-big mesh fabric vest I keep in the car for hiking and for hoofing it after possible road accidents. The Lowe Pro Trekker packs come in some neutral grey-brown color, I believe, though most photo stores insist on only stocking the black version.

For day hikes, belt-mounted heavier lenses work well, and the day pack is a minimalist Flash 18L from REI that does great for my coat, extra sox, headlamp, extra water (I am a bottle fan, one or two on the hip for frequent sipping, one or more in the pack for refills), little photo stuff like filters and releases and lenscloth, snacks, etc - and I have started to carry a emergency-blanket-like bivy bag, mini med kit, waterproof matches in colder weather. I usually take the tripod in the case it came in, but it is diminutive enough that it could go naked in the daypack. Phone, paper map, analog ("real" - needle) compass in my pants pocket for easy access. If I know that cell access is iffy on my route (hills!), a pocket emergency beacon is also in my pants pocket.

Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
EOS rebel said:
I'm planning on going camping at the end of August and I'm starting to look at camera bags that would fit the bill. So I'd like to hear about your recommendations and experiences with camping and photography.

I've done backcountry photography for a long time. The best pack I found (and have ever seen) for this purpose is the Dana Design Arclight Swiftcurrent, long since discontinued but still available on the used market. I place my photo gear in a separate generic camera bag at the bottom of the pack.

Main advantages of this pack:
- Beavertail Shovit is perfect for holding a large tripod
- Slant opening is great for getting at any gear--since it is best to keep high-density items (like metal and glass lenses) near your waist for weight transference to hips, this means I can keep the camera gear at the bottom of the pack yet still have immediate access. Yes, I have been able to shoot animals before they took off because of this feature!
- Pack itself is light weight, doesn't add much to the load. This was a design feature of all the Arclight packs.
- Generous side saddles (available in small or large sizes) can be added or not depending on how deep into the back country I am headed.

You have to see one to believe how great Dana Design was at backpack design. If you buy one, make sure you get the correct size for your torso length. High quality used ones often run only about $100, but it will likely be the last pack you ever buy. Base unit is 4500 cubic inches, two long side saddles add about 900 cubic inches. I put the sleeping pad on top, pack a 3-person tunnel-design tent, and even with several days of food and the camera goodies can keep it to 45 lbs.

If you don't find a used one on the usual used sites, consider posting a "wanted" item to some backpacker forums. Lots of hikers have multiple packs, and would be happy to get some cash in exchange for one they no longer need.

Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
Lloyd said:
I have been using a Gossamer Gear Mariposa backpack which is an older version of the newer http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks/mariposa-ultralight-backpack-all-bundle-dyneema.html that has a removable hip belt. When bringing photography equipment, I replace the hip belt with a Think tank belt and attach my Think Tank holsters, lens bags and accessory bags as needed to the exposed side portions of the belt. This gives me an ultralight backpack with the ability to add photo gear as needed and the camera and lenses are readily accessible in the side holsters.
Interesting! What about when it rains?

Most of the Think Tank holsters have rain covers, but I always bring light weight dry bags if I get stuck in heavy rains or if making a river crossing where there is a possibility I could fall into the water.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
The Gossamer Gear Mariposa is one of the packs of interest, but I don't see it in the local stores. If you ordered it directly from the manufacturer, how was your interaction with them, and do you think that they will work with a customer to get the right fit (that is, prompt no-fuss exchange of sizes, or just plain refund if it doesn't fit well at any size)? This pack got a very nice review at Section Hiker website, along with several others. Granite Gear looks interesting due to the extreme adjustability, with different shaped and sized shoulder straps, different shaped and sized belts, a framesheet system with different width attachments for shoulder straps and different height torso adjustment at 1" intervals. Well, I will be off to REI and see if anything in the store at the moment happens to fit me well, have main compartment panel access, and have lashing points for attaching a tripod. I could get lucky.

Upvote 0
NancyP said:
The Gossamer Gear Mariposa is one of the packs of interest, but I don't see it in the local stores. If you ordered it directly from the manufacturer, how was your interaction with them, and do you think that they will work with a customer to get the right fit (that is, prompt no-fuss exchange of sizes, or just plain refund if it doesn't fit well at any size)? This pack got a very nice review at Section Hiker website, along with several others. Granite Gear looks interesting due to the extreme adjustability, with different shaped and sized shoulder straps, different shaped and sized belts, a framesheet system with different width attachments for shoulder straps and different height torso adjustment at 1" intervals. Well, I will be off to REI and see if anything in the store at the moment happens to fit me well, have main compartment panel access, and have lashing points for attaching a tripod. I could get lucky.

I haven't dealt with Gossamer Gear but their packs are probably what I would get if I went ultralite on packs. I have purchased an ultralite sleeping bag and duplex tent from Joe Valesko of zpacks.com. He was very easy to deal with and while I loved and kept the bag, I returned the tent after deciding I didn't want to move away from my current favorite Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1. It took a little while but I got a full refund from Joe on the tent without any hassle.

Upvote 0
Lloyd said:
I have been using a Gossamer Gear Mariposa backpack which is an older version of the newer http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks/mariposa-ultralight-backpack-all-bundle-dyneema.html that has a removable hip belt. When bringing photography equipment, I replace the hip belt with a Think tank belt and attach my Think Tank holsters, lens bags and accessory bags as needed to the exposed side portions of the belt. This gives me an ultralight backpack with the ability to add photo gear as needed and the camera and lenses are readily accessible in the side holsters.

Thanks much for the info, I was planning to get an Osprey Volt due to the low weight and ergonomics but the option of using a Think Tank belt makes this one a worthy option. Question: which TT belt do you use, the Steroid or just the Pro is enough for the well being of your hips?

Upvote 0
pablo said:
Whatever bag you use, take plenty of silica gel, or some raw rice. Condensation gets everywhere when you are camping.

Well, maybe. That depends heavily on the climate. For instance, it's rarely humid in parts of the southwest, esp at higher altitudes. Dry, dry, dry. That's what I love about it!! :D

Upvote 0
pablo said:
yep, but all the moisture in your breath is wet wet wet and it will condense upon any surface within the tent.

Alright, don't take silica gel. Your kit.

I understand your concern pablo. Inside the tent overnight is a good point. The problem with silica or other humidity control devices is that they will be saturated in no time and be of little use. The environment will overpower them very quickly and then they are just extra weight.

In general, if the camera is in the same environment that everything else is, it's all equal and condensation rarely forms as long as the camera isn't suddenly moving into a much warmer or more humid environment. The overnight inner tent environment is an exception which is why the camera stays outside of my inner tent under the vestibule if there's a possibility of condensation. In the dryer climates this isn't much of an issue though. Also, one can always keep the camera in a ziplock bag overnight inside a humid tent to prevent condensation and not remove it until the tent has been opened and ventilated.

Whatever the case, a good understanding of what causes condensation and how humidity works will serve one well in determining what is needed to prevent moisture problems.

Upvote 0
NancyP said:
The Gossamer Gear Mariposa is one of the packs of interest, but I don't see it in the local stores. If you ordered it directly from the manufacturer, how was your interaction with them, and do you think that they will work with a customer to get the right fit (that is, prompt no-fuss exchange of sizes, or just plain refund if it doesn't fit well at any size)? This pack got a very nice review at Section Hiker website, along with several others.

I did not have to return it and I live in Austin, where they are located, so this was not a concern for me. I regularly receive emails from them and they seem to be very responsive. I have a curved back and the stays are basically an aluminum rod in a U shape with the closed end at the top. I could easily bend them into a favorable shape for my spine and they have remained intact.

fmiranda said:
Thanks much for the info, I was planning to get an Osprey Volt due to the low weight and ergonomics but the option of using a Think Tank belt makes this one a worthy option. Question: which TT belt do you use, the Steroid or just the Pro is enough for the well being of your hips?

I use the pro because it is what I had before I bought the Mariposa. I think the pro would work better than the Steroid because the Steroid has its loops focused in the rear so after you insert it through the sleeve in the back there would not be any loops exposed. I don't know if the padded and looped area is greater on the larger sized Pro belts. If it is, I would go for the largest belt in your size range so as to have a larger exposed loop area. Also, if the belt is let out to its max it is hard to get any leverage on it to cinch it as there is not much strap to grab. However, you don't want it so big that you are not able to be able to cinch it due to the padded area getting in the way.

I have attached a few photos of my belts and pack. As the sleeve in the Mariposa has velcro in it to keep the belt in place, I wrapped double sided velcro around the back of the think tank belt to keep it in place. I also have a photo of the Mariposa belt and the think tank belt next to each other. You will note that the think tank belt is not as wide, but it is better padded. The fact that the think tank belt is narrower makes the use of the velcro more important. I also put the OpTech quick connectors on my pack shoulder straps so I can hang the camera on the straps if am in an area where I am taking a lot of photos and am not bothered by it bouncing around.

Attachments

• TTBelt1.jpg
    TTBelt1.jpg
    567.4 KB · Views: 483
  • TTBelt2.jpg
    TTBelt2.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 452
  • TTBelt3.jpg
    TTBelt3.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 501
Upvote 0
Lloyd said:
fmiranda said:

I use the pro because it is what I had before I bought the Mariposa. I think the pro would work better than the Steroid because the Steroid has its loops focused in the rear so after you insert it through the sleeve in the back there would not be any loops exposed. I don't know if the padded and looped area is greater on the larger sized Pro belts. If it is, I would go for the largest belt in your size range so as to have a larger exposed loop area. Also, if the belt is let out to its max it is hard to get any leverage on it to cinch it as there is not much strap to grab. However, you don't want it so big that you are not able to be able to cinch it due to the padded area getting in the way.

I have attached a few photos of my belts and pack. As the sleeve in the Mariposa has velcro in it to keep the belt in place, I wrapped double sided velcro around the back of the think tank belt to keep it in place. I also have a photo of the Mariposa belt and the think tank belt next to each other. You will note that the think tank belt is not as wide, but it is better padded. The fact that the think tank belt is narrower makes the use of the velcro more important. I also put the OpTech quick connectors on my pack shoulder straps so I can hang the camera on the straps if am in an area where I am taking a lot of photos and am not bothered by it bouncing around.

Thanks again for taking you time and especially for all the pictures and added info. I think that the Steroid belt would work in terms of width and I guess if you are using it with the Mariposa you wouldn't be using the loops anyway. In any case, I will likely get the Pro belt as this was my intended setup for fairly short day hikes. I will need the full backpack setup only for a planned November trip so there will be plenty of time to try different setups. The option of hanging the holster on the belt as per your picture is much better than what I have been doing, which is carry the holster attached to the backpack shoulder straps. This blocks the view and was not a good idea last time I was walking on rock ledges.

Have a great weekend, many thanks again.

Upvote 0