Canon’s roadmap for 2019, included an EOS R camera that no one is expecting? [CR2]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I am a 77D owner. For beginners like me, the budget is really an issue. Even $100 can be a big difference while making a decision for many people (like me). So, I guess giving a spectrum of price choices (80D, T7i, and 77D) with the same sensor (but having difference processors and other features related to usability) allows to cast a wider net to attract more consumers. But, this is not valid for pros for sure.
Yes! Some of us are very price sensitive, including myself. I'll guarantee most professionals are very price sensitive also. https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Professional_Photographer/Salary

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Are you implying that the head scratch would stem from various people wondering why didn't Canon add more, and only do that
So far EOS R line is sinking so bad. looks like nothing could save it. Maybe Canon has a plan to keep DSLR afloat for much longer. Beware, Nokia and Motorola, Canon can't wait to join you in the afterlife.

Considering the damage the EOS R did to Sony's FF mirrorless sales in Japan's market, I'd wager a bigger bet your comment is sinking. Canon took over 20% of the FF mirrorless market there last year. And from all the reviews I've been reading, the EOS R has slightly gained popularity once people figure out its better points.

The RP did pretty good too.

If you are going to troll, as least try to be credible. All indications are that the R line is doing just fine.

You are correct, that other person's claim almost sank itself.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Yes! Some of us are very price sensitive, including myself. I'll guarantee most professionals are very price sensitive also. https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Professional_Photographer/Salary
Right. I agree. But professionals will have a better idea about a feature in a camera and whether to invest in it or not. On the other hand, a novice will be reluctant to place a bigger bet because of uncertainty. So, mathematically, the uncertainty of a $100 investment for a beginner is much higher than that for a pro. Hence, a good marketing strategy would be to offer a spectrum of price points at the lower end: Catch 'em early. :D

Upvote 0

Ale_F

6D - 7D
Nov 22, 2018
It's a provocation:

Ome body and one lens.
Since market is shifting to mirrorless and someone would proAF and shooting without 1dxMk2(3) the 7d3 is coming as:
M7 as mirrorless 7dmk3: Metal, big (for M series), dust resistant and proAF and shooting with the price of APS-C camera.
Canon added a EOS-M adapter in the package and keep available the new ef-m 15-85 f4IS USM.

With this camera there are not contamination between sensor size between M and R.
The shorter lens I used in the last six month on 7D is the 24-105L and usually is equipped with 70-200, so the EFS lens is useless.

Upvote 0
Well, let's be honest, this article of rumor mill is a head-scratching narrative. Any rumor is gonna be head-scratching: isnt that sort-of the definition of "rumor"?!?! The author seems to be very desperate of having contents.

The prediction may be one of the most accurate things that could every be written. No matter what Canon puts into the next "R" body, almost every single person will scratch their head about something that was or was not put into the camera.

I find the rumored comment to be good marketing. It will be stirring people's curiosity for months.

Upvote 0
Are you implying that the head scratch would stem from various people wondering why didn't Canon add more, and only do that

Considering the damage the EOS R did to Sony's FF mirrorless sales in Japan's market, I'd wager a bigger bet your comment is sinking. Canon took over 20% of the FF mirrorless market there last year. And from all the reviews I've been reading, the EOS R has slightly gained popularity once people figure out its better points.

The RP did pretty good too.

You are correct, that other person's claim almost sank itself.
Canon vs Sony in camera world is like fans of Metallica (Canon) and Megadeth (Sony). While whatever the former makes becomes successful eventually, the latter's more intricate technical stuff doesn't sell that much (compared to former, still, there are a lot of Megadeth fans but that number cannot hold a candle to Metallica's success) . :D just for fun. No hurt intended.
*Disclaimer: Slayer (Nikon) and Anthrax (Fuji) fans were unharmed while compiling this post.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
A nice head scratcher would be a RF mount camera designed primarily for tethering. EOS RP sensor and mainboard + Ethernet in a small box, viewfinder optional, LCD optional, a grip with some buttons optional. Control over CCAPI. Price: $600.

Now that's innovative, I like it. Make it so! I suspect that if such a thing emerged, they'd intend it to be primarily phone-tethered, with an app to command it over Bluetooth or whatever. Perhaps even with an adjustable clamp so that you could clip your phone onto the back of it.

On that theme, whatever happened to that Yongnuo flat-camera with EF mount? Imagine an RF mount equivalent from Canon...

Upvote 0
As a matter of interest, have you tried the use of the back screen as a touchpad to move the focus point? I find that alternative to be as good as, if not better, than the joystick. On the list of "please Canon", I would add a lock on the mode dial similar to the one on 5Ds, etc.. I use the camera almost exclusively in FV mode and it is annoying that the mode dial can be accidentally moved.

I have, it's way too slow for a fast paced scenario like a wedding. I've shot about 20 weddings with it now and I still go back to my 5D4 when using my 24-70 as it's quicker. I shoot them both side by side. The 5D4 is on my left for fast action grabs and the R on my right for F2 and faster apertures due to the focus accuracy.

For me it is definitely not as fast as it could be if it had a joystick. But if I was a landscape, studio or stills photographer it wouldn't bother me. The joystick is direct, unambiguous and less prone to errors. The touch screen falls over easily. Tactile response and feedback is essential, it's why Canon put a little raised bump on top of the 5D4's ISO button and why the lack of tactile feedback on the R's touch bar render it useless (to me).

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
The prediction may be one of the most accurate things that could every be written. No matter what Canon puts into the next "R" body, almost every single person will scratch their head about something that was or was not put into the camera.

I find the rumored comment to be good marketing. It will be stirring people's curiosity for months.
THe point was that, only the author of Canon Rumors has the fact, while everybody else's speculations are considered trolling. And I agree with your assessment

Upvote 0
[A] new EOS R camera is coming later in 2019 and that it is a “head scratcher”

Running Android OS with Instagram app pre installed ? Of course Canon would never do anything truly innovative or give people something they want or need, so it will probably be a new sensor with 42 MP and the 4k crop area expanding from 1.8x to 1.72x

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon vs Sony in camera world is like fans of Metallica (Canon) and Megadeth (Sony). While whatever the former makes becomes successful eventually, the latter's more intricate technical stuff doesn't sell that much (compared to former, still, there are a lot of Megadeth fans but that number cannot hold a candle to Metallica's success) . :D just for fun. No hurt intended.
*Disclaimer: Slayer (Nikon) and Anthrax (Fuji) fans were unharmed while compiling this post.
You forgot: Olympus = ABBA ;)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Running Android OS with Instagram app pre installed ? Of course Canon would never do anything truly innovative or give people something they want or need, so it will probably be a new sensor with 42 MP and the 4k crop area expanding from 1.8x to 1.72x
As a former Android owner and newly minted Apple iPhone owner, I'll take iOS any day.

Upvote 0
I don't care about Instagram

I don't care about it either. But hundreds of thousands / millions do. They travel on vacation, stay at AirBnB's or hotels most of which have wi-fi , and at the end of each day they typically want to upload the day's pics to instagram or other social media sites. If they could do it directly from their camera when they were in a wifi zone instead of downloading to a laptop first it would be of tremendous value. But unlike Apple, Canon, or to be fair most Japanese companies, are not in the business of improving user experience. They are focused on one upping each other with irrelevant technical specs. The user experience is an afterthought. On the other hand if Apple - and I am no fan of Apple - were to design a mirrorless camera you can bet the first things they would be thinking of would be about making users lives easier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0