Canon 4K Camera Makes an Appearance

neuroanatomist said:
SPG said:
... three pages of people taking personal offense at this camera even existing as a concept "How dare Canon make something that isn't exactly what I want! How dare they!

If you like, I can point you to some threads with 20-30 or more pages of that. ;)

Many people here can't seem to grasp that they aren't Canon's target market for every product, and even when they are, their wants/needs aren't necessarily representative of the majority.

canon could put a 5D sensor in the 5D4 and it would sell and you'd say look! Canon is awesome! It sells so they obviously delivered just what Canon users wanted. How wonderful. ::)

Upvote 0
Etienne said:
I do documentary work and I'm using a 5D3 system for low light / shallow DOF and a Sony PXW-X70 for general purpose / fast response. The Sony FS7 / A7s combo is not much more than the 5D3 / C100 combo, but looks like it might perform a lot better. There's a lot of new stuff coming out, and I may end up just adding a 70D (for the dual pixel AF) and waiting another year to decide what to change.

The 70D is really good bang for buck. Paired with the 18-135 IS STM, it's a pretty good system with dual pixel AF. As long as you're ok with dual sound (when needed), this is not a terrible decision by any means.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
bsbeamer said:
Etienne said:
I do documentary work and I'm using a 5D3 system for low light / shallow DOF and a Sony PXW-X70 for general purpose / fast response. The Sony FS7 / A7s combo is not much more than the 5D3 / C100 combo, but looks like it might perform a lot better. There's a lot of new stuff coming out, and I may end up just adding a 70D (for the dual pixel AF) and waiting another year to decide what to change.

The 70D is really good bang for buck. Paired with the 18-135 IS STM, it's a pretty good system with dual pixel AF. As long as you're ok with dual sound (when needed), this is not a terrible decision by any means.

You also have to be OK with substandard IQ.

Best bang for the buck comes from Panasonic/Sony/Samsung, not Canon.

Upvote 0
Tugela said:
bsbeamer said:
Etienne said:

70D has the only AF system that can reliably focus on a face unattended during video. This is very helpful when doing interviews without a crew. Also I have 8 Canon lenses that are immediately useful on a 70D. Switching systems is a big deal, but I can probably add a 70D on sale for less than $800.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Etienne said:
Lee Jay said:
Etienne said:
70D has the only AF system that can reliably focus on a face unattended during video.

7DII does as well.

True, but the video is about the same for a much higher price, and it doesn't have a swivel screen

The video is a little better - sharper and less prone to moire.

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
Etienne said:
Lee Jay said:
Etienne said:
70D has the only AF system that can reliably focus on a face unattended during video.

7DII does as well.

True, but the video is about the same for a much higher price, and it doesn't have a swivel screen

Haven't seen any reviews making that claim yet.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Etienne said:
Lee Jay said:
Etienne said:
Lee Jay said:
Etienne said:

7DII does as well.

Watch the first 20 seconds of this and look at the brick building in the distance.

https://vimeo.com/106524090

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
Etienne said:
Lee Jay said:
Etienne said:
Lee Jay said:
Etienne said:

7DII does as well.

Watch the first 20 seconds of this and look at the brick building in the distance.

https://vimeo.com/106524090

That's a lot of moire. Wouldn't be a problem for interviews though. I wouldn't buy a 70D as a main camera, or a 7DII for that matter, but it may be a cheap way to get a third camera going on a face.

Upvote 0
andrewflo said:
Ebrahim Saadawi said:
Video shooters put up with all the previously mentioned quirks for two reasons: 35mm depth of field, film look, and ability to change lenses. So Canon fixed the design quirks BUT removed the actual main attractions of the system as well!

I couldn't agree with this more. Nicely put.

It entirely depends on what you are trying to do. This camera may well fit the same important niche as the Sony PXW-X70, and other small ENG cameras. In fact many in news and even documentary work are avoiding shallow DOF for reasons you can read about here: http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/2015/03/27/from-the-panasonic-hpx-250-to-the-new-ikegami-4k-23-system-camera-an-interesting-coincidence/

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
Etienne said:
Tugela said:
bsbeamer said:
Etienne said:

70D has the only AF system that can reliably focus on a face unattended during video. This is very helpful when doing interviews without a crew. Also I have 8 Canon lenses that are immediately useful on a 70D. Switching systems is a big deal, but I can probably add a 70D on sale for less than $800.

Which explains why everyone uses a 70D to shoot video......oh wait....they don't....in fact almost no one uses it. Except those who bought it as a stills camera and don't see a need for getting a capable video camera on the assumption that whatever they have is good enough.

Upvote 0
Tugela said:
Etienne said:
70D has the only AF system that can reliably focus on a face unattended during video. This is very helpful when doing interviews without a crew.
Which explains why everyone uses a 70D to shoot video......oh wait....they don't....in fact almost no one uses it.

Excuse me, but how would you know?

Maybe it's that journalists on a basic wage who don't get a full crew but have to handle video clips & stills themselves don't find the time to post on an "L lenses only" enthusiast forum like CR? Same goes for Joe Sixpack users who consider a dslr like a 70d the pinnacle of their photography needs (feature- and money-wise) and are very happy shooting some clips of their family w/o announcing how "pro" the feel.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Tugela said:
Etienne said:
Tugela said:
bsbeamer said:
Etienne said:

Which explains why everyone uses a 70D to shoot video......oh wait....they don't....in fact almost no one uses it. Except those who bought it as a stills camera and don't see a need for getting a capable video camera on the assumption that whatever they have is good enough.

I know a professional crew that shoots music videos with one.

Upvote 0
I remember starting out in the business and one of my first cameras was a Canon GL1. At that time, that camera was impressive at its price point and there was a lot less choices to choose from.

Today pretty much any camera system will get the job done, allowing for a variety of budgets. Ultimately one should be reminded that its the content that is most important.

We know Canon is slow to market with new technologies, my biggest frustration is that that are coming to market at a price point that is not competitive to the other technologies being offered.

Upvote 0
Tugela said:
Etienne said:
Tugela said:
bsbeamer said:
Etienne said:

You certainly know how to miss the point. Even GoPro has it's uses, and cell-phones :eek: .... of course no one uses those either ::)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Etienne said:
Tugela said:
Etienne said:
Tugela said:
bsbeamer said:
Etienne said:

You certainly know how to miss the point. Even GoPro has it's uses, and cell-phones :eek: .... of course no one uses those either ::)
goPro footage has been in a couple of Hollywood movies... Apparently movie stars have a hard time running with an iMax camera duct taped to their heads :) everything has its time and place...

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
Tugela said:
Etienne said:
Tugela said:
bsbeamer said:
Etienne said:

They actually do, many video professionals use the 70D. I mean MANY. It's because of the Canon video DSLR reputation (60D successor) and because it's the only large sensor video camera with usable AF, that's until the 7D mkII came out (which has no aliasing, better lowlight, but removes the touch-to-focus and swivle LCD.

Anyway, having the DPAF technology only the 70D (which has bad video quality vs the rest) is a frustrating situation. Give me a good video image with DPAF damn it!

They tried doing that by coupling dpaf with the C100/300 but, they made it only work in a center focus point, 90% useless compared to the real ground-breaking DPAF concept in the MUCH cheaper 70D... Weird isn't it? no, it's Canon ;)

Upvote 0
Ebrahim Saadawi said:
Lee Jay said:
Tugela said:
Etienne said:
Tugela said:
bsbeamer said:
Etienne said:

They actually do, many video professionals use the 70D. I mean MANY. It's because of the Canon video DSLR reputation (60D successor) and because it's the only large sensor video camera with usable AF, that's until the 7D mkII came out (which has no aliasing, better lowlight, but removes the touch-to-focus and swivle LCD.

Anyway, having the DPAF technology only the 70D (which has bad video quality vs the rest) is a frustrating situation. Give me a good video image with DPAF damn it!

They tried doing that by coupling dpaf with the C100/300 but, they made it only work in a center focus point, 90% useless compared to the real ground-breaking DPAF concept in the MUCH cheaper 70D... Weird isn't it? no, it's Canon ;)

I Agree with the C100 mk II issue. If it had full sensor DPAF, I would buy it for sure. This would give me enormous relief when trying to conduct an interview without a cameraman! People who scoff at AF for video are out to lunch and have never had to work alone, or with a stabilizer rig

Upvote 0