Canon Announces That The Powerful Professional Full-Frame EOS R3 Mirrorless Camera Is On Its Way

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
There are drive modes that get you in between 1-20. However, to your point... would be nice for them to let us limit electronic.
I’m specifically talking about electronic shutter, but also during mechanical shutter. You get spoiled with a 1DX where you can manually select the desired shooting speeds for each mode. It doesn’t make any sense that electronic shutter is 20fps or 1fps - nothing else.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Gordon Laing, in his video reveal of the R3's announcement, wondered aloud, "I wonder if there's some kind of physical spec limiting all three manufacturers to state 30 fps?"

As it happens, that spec looks like it's the read/write speed of CF Express cards...which are pretty much maxed out by shooting raw 30 FPS at 45 megapixels, depending on the exact file size.

It's such a small sidenote in the video, and I doubt he knows more than we do, but I suddenly really do believe that this camera is 45-ish megapixels. If Canon went for 24 megapixels, why not blow up the FPS even higher as a statement if CF express can handle 60 FPS at 24 megapixels?
I think you're right, but not because of card throughput. While it is important, in the end there is a buffer to handle that. As an example, the CFXpress Type A cards used by the Sony A1 are only capable of 800mb/s yet it manages to write 51mp @ 30fps. Even their lossy compressed files (around 51mb @ ISO 100) are still larger than the 45mp of the Canon R5. Based on pure throughput the A1 should only be able to deliver around 16fps compressed and around 8fps uncompressed (around 102mb @ ISO 100). Since the camera can do 30fps compressed and 20fps uncompressed it is clearly the buffer that's making up that shortfall. CFExpress Type B has a max write speed of 1400mb/s so theoretically it should be able to handle much higher frame rates... add a buffer and it's likely a camera with a fast enough processor and sensor could push much higher numbers. That will be the R1 :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
is there any indication or rumour at all about possible resolution of the R3 sensor. Does anyone think it won't support 8K video? My thinking is if any camera will be low res it will be the R1 since it will probably be global shutter and focus more on pure performance than be a video monster. R3 will be the ultimate jack of all trades usurping the R5 in all areas of performance including video, or that's what I'm hoping for. Would hate to see the R3 turn into another 20MP camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Problem is with the super-teles the IBIS and the IS start fighting each other
Canon synchronizes the two.
It works pretty well on telephoto.
It sucks on wide lenses.
Canon either needs to fix their algorithm or let us turn off just IBIS while keeping lens OIS on.
They should really do both.
The only good thing is that IS is less needed for wide shots.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
I would love to be able to set the electronic shutter to 5, 10, 15, 20 fps. For some wildlife the silent shutter is great, but I also do not need 10-15 frames that all look the same. Even an 10 vs. 20 fps would be great. I hope for the R3 they give us 10, 20, and 30 fps as options for the electronic shutter.
I hope in a software update they give us more options for the electronic shutter for the R5!

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I’m specifically talking about electronic shutter, but also during mechanical shutter. You get spoiled with a 1DX where you can manually select the desired shooting speeds for each mode. It doesn’t make any sense that electronic shutter is 20fps or 1fps - nothing else.
The fps is dependent on the drive mode algorithm and linked to it even though fps technically dependent on shutter speed partially, it changes in continuous shooting being totally dependent on the drive mode algorithm. With WTD/write to disk completion ending the cycle. Even if electronic shutter is selected it is still within a drive mode with write to disk ending the cycle before the next frame. The Drive Mode controlling the master clock and sensor readout. A one press and hold and/or burst all controlled by the drive mode function/algorithm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
The fps is dependent on the drive mode algorithm and linked to it even though fps technically dependent on shutter speed partially (single shot), it changes in continuous shooting being totally dependent on the drive mode algorithm. With WTD/write to disk completion ending the cycle. Even if electronic shutter is selected it is still within a drive mode with write to disk ending the cycle before the next frame. The Drive Mode controlling the master clock and sensor readout. A one press and hold and/or burst all controlled by the drive mode function/algorithm.

Upvote 0
Canon synchronizes the two.
It works pretty well on telephoto.
It sucks on wide lenses.
Canon either needs to fix their algorithm or let us turn off just IBIS while keeping lens OIS on.
They should really do both.
The only good thing is that IS is less needed for wide shots.
Actually on the Super-Teles (500/600 F4) the systems fight each other like crazy. To a point where if you are tracking fast moving subjects you pretty much need to turn it off. This has been documented and been my personal experience as well. If my subject is somewhat static or on an even plain for panning (mode 2) it's fine, but otherwise its off and I need the shutter speeds to match. Of course, the pixel density on the R5 is so high you pretty much need high shutter speeds anyway when things move because you get blur between the pixels. Not the case with only in-lens IS. We for sure need to be able to shut IBIS off (or in lens) independently.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Good grief, this doesn't answer many of my own questions!

"This camera will usher in a new category to the EOS R system, positioned squarely between the EOS R5 and EOS-1D X Mark III cameras. "

I forget who said it in the last thread, but they were bang on when they guessed that Canon was trying its best to not "replace" the 1DX immediately.

Considering that this is a stacked sensor dual-pixel design, I definitely think the R1 is still coming further down the line with a global shutter and quad-pixel AF. The only question is if that's next year or the year after.

This is going to make my choices much more difficult. I was sold on replacing my 1DX2 with an R1, but clearly Canon isn't yet ready to call this camera a 1-series camera if they say it's between the R5 and 1DX in their lineup.
Another 20MP?

Upvote 0
Will Canon continue to manufacture very expensive large full frame cameras or do I have to switch to Sony?
Depends more on the lenses you intend to use though, doesn't it? The slight difference in camera body size is nothing once you slap that 400/2.8 on there. Or even an 85/1.4. But if you're happy with a first-gen A7 and a 35/2.8 and just want to say you have a cheap compact FF camera, go right ahead and switch. At least the Sony forumites will be impressed. Other than that, stick with whatever system you fancy.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Actually on the Super-Teles (500/600 F4) the systems fight each other like crazy. To a point where if you are tracking fast moving subjects you pretty much need to turn it off. This has been documented and been my personal experience as well. If my subject is somewhat static or on an even plain for panning (mode 2) it's fine, but otherwise its off and I need the shutter speeds to match. Of course, the pixel density on the R5 is so high you pretty much need high shutter speeds anyway when things move because you get blur between the pixels. Not the case with only in-lens IS. We for sure need to be able to shut IBIS off (or in lens) independently.
Have you tried "mode 3" on your super-tele lens? My understanding of it is that it will disable OIS and IBIS until you press the shutter button to take the photo, at which time it will engage the OIS and IBIS which work together to take a single photo taking random motion into account. If you have tried this and still find the body rotation (tracking) motion is too much for the IBIS for the duration of the exposure (and you are using a very fast exposure to capture a sharp image) then I would say that either 1) you have to use an even faster shutter speed, or 2) there is indeed a problem with the programming of the IBIS in this situation, or 3) your rotation is too fast for IBIS to possibly work even with ideal programming. If 2) is the case then I'd hope Canon would fix it in a firmware update. But in any case I do agree that Canon should give you an option to enable/disable the OIS and IBIS independently so that the user has a choice (that's a simple good firmware update!).

"Choices are good!" ;)

Upvote 0
7D is not in the top 50 on Amazon USA but it is in the top 10 on B and H.
This does not shock me because the clientele is completely different.
top 10 of DSLR's isn't exactly an achievement these days.

the last time I saw sales data, the numbers fall quite quickly out of the top 3. but you also snipped out the most important part of that sentence. Anecdotally because neither Canon nor Nikon who really rule that market between them basically haven't served it regularly in the near 20 years of DSLR's. Nikon produced three pro grade APS-C cameras in their DSLR history, Canon, arguably 2. Between the two of them, the last 12 years they've only produced two new cameras. if the market was thriving and profitable, and sold tons of cameras, there would be more refreshes from either company - because that's how they make money - selling everyone a new camera. Canon could have easily - EASILY made a 7D Mark III out of what was the 90D guts. they decided not to, and essentially they killed the line with the 90D. All that indicates to me is that it's not selling well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, you are absolutely right. I felt that the Sony IQ in smaller form factors may work better for him.
you mean the camera sytem that if you mount an extender on your super telephoto that you risk detaching the lens because some idiot at Sony decided that the release should be where your fingers grip the camera?

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
If your tripod is unable to remove vibrations, it is not functional to me. Kind sir.
Lightweight travel tripods have design compromises but that doesn't mean they aren't functional, I'd much prefer carrying a light tripod up a creek bed to photograph a waterfall than carry the 10 pound aluminum one that Lester Bogen was photographed sitting on.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I know that the recommendation to turn IS off (in general) when on a tripod has been the default saying from manufacturers,
but I have found better performance by turning it on when on a tripod.
I use lightweight travel tripods and under high magnification I can see slight vibrations in the back LCD from any disturbances, especially wind.
The IS (OIS and IBIS) helps to eliminate this motion you don't expect to have.
YMMV
Echoing this comment I queried Duade Paton about this very subject. Duade is a prominent YT video creator located in Down Under, specializing mostly in bird photography. Following was first, my question followed by his response.

"Love your very informative and practical YT videos, Duade. Was wondering, when using this set up on your tripod, do you disable your lens IS setting and if not, what IS setting do you use? Always look fwd to your next video."

Duade Paton
Duade Paton

gday
Mike, thanks for your comment, I never turn off the IS as I am too forgetful and would forget to turn it back on. Pretty sure it is set to IS mode 1 on my 500. Cheers, Duade

So, you can see, usern4cr, Duade agrees with you.

• Love
Upvote 0