Canon Binoculars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upvote 0

Ale

Aug 18, 2013
Sorry for somewhat off-topic reply, but I recall reading quite interesting news about binoculars and stabilization about a year ago. Luckily I found it again, you can read it here: http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2012-08/worlds-steadiest-binoculars

The most interesting part is this: "Fraser Optics.......has adapted its gyroscope-based mechanical stabilization system into the Mariner, a pair of consumer binoculars that cancels vertical movements of up to 50 degrees without any delay".

I wonder when we'll see such stabilization in telephoto lenses :)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The Canon IS are not very popular. Serious birdies tend to go for Swarovski, the most popular, then Leica. I tested loads of pairs and found that the Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 performed as well as the Swarovski at about 20% of the price. Quite remarkable for a company whose other products were not noteworthy - they got it right for this model.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AlanF said:
The Canon IS are not very popular. Serious birdies tend to go for Swarovski...

How do the birdies hold them? With their wings? ;)

Or is birdies : lift :: birders : elevator? On this side of the pond, a birdie is what little kids call a bird, or one under par on the golf course...

Seriously, I wonder why the Canon IS binocs aren't more popular. Audubon Society shops here often don't even carry them.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
AlanF said:
The Canon IS are not very popular. Serious birdies tend to go for Swarovski...

How do the birdies hold them? With their wings? ;)

Or is birdies : lift :: birders : elevator? On this side of the pond, a birdie is what little kids call a bird, or one under par on the golf course...

Seriously, I wonder why the Canon IS binocs aren't more popular. Audubon Society shops here often don't even carry them.

The authentic English term for a bird watcher is a twitcher, but that would stretch your vocabulary too far. Who in their right mind would want to hold a heavy pair of binoculars all day that require their batteries changing every few hours? Importantly, field of view is important, and the high magnification of the Canons is against this. If you want really high magnification, and the Canon IS is betwixt and between, you need a scope with tripod.

Upvote 0
I thoroughly recommend IS (stabilized) Canon binoculars and I have a few to prove it:

10x42L - original purchase, good general purpose, originally for astronomy but wanted more aperture/mag
8x25 - second purchase, great for theater and stage, and lightweight walkabout
15x50 - third purchase, perfect for astronomy and wildlife, more magnification gets tough to handhold

I have tried a friend's 18x50 and they are fine -- but the key point about IS is to allow handheld steady use and there is always going to be more "jiggling" at 18x rather than 15x, even with IS, so I am extremely happy with my 15x50 for my purposes.

I don't see an optical quality difference in practice between the L 10x42 and non-L 15x50. All have crappy lens caps of various designs (or none at all). The L has a more padded case. The 8x25 takes less common CR123A batteries, whereas the other two take AAs. The 8x25 annoyingly needs you to hold the IS button down -- the other two have a time delay to hold it down for you, then releases to save the batteries. Battery life seems good on all (never been a problem for my use).

In summary, they are an expensive indulgence but I would never go back to non-IS. If you can afford them, I recommend them to all -- especially astronomers and wildlife enthusiasts.

PS. Look for deals on used. My 15x50s were well under 1k on eBay this year. See also BH/Adorama used. http://www.canonpricewatch.com/ tracks binoculars.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AlanF said:
Who in their right mind would want to hold a heavy pair of binoculars all day that require their batteries changing every few hours?

Someone who wants a stabilized image? As for weight, I'm used to carrying a 1D X and 600 II, not too concerned about a few extra ounces...

dswtan said:
I thoroughly recommend IS (stabilized) Canon binoculars and I have a few to prove it

I guess, since the 10x30's are free, I might as well get them, and if I like them, move up to the 10x42L...

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The Canon 15x50 weigh 41.6 oz plus wt of batteries, and the Swarovski 10x42 29.6 oz and cost considerably more. Twitchers don't count pennies when they buy their gear.

I use neither but use my Canon camera as a monocular. The 600mm (300mm + 2xTC) lens on the 5D is roughly 10 x magnification and you can take a photo and enlarge on the screen to give telescope-like magnification when twitching.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.