Canon celebrates 15th consecutive year of No. 1 share of global interchangeable-lens digital camera

Re: Canon celebrates 15th consecutive year of No. 1 share of global interchangeable-lens digital cam

I don't get it! All my professional photographers and videographers friends at least want to buy a Sony camera for its silent shooting and low light capabilities or they alreadey purchased GH5 for video... Nobody takes Canon as being future proof.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Re: Canon celebrates 15th consecutive year of No. 1 share of global interchangeable-lens digital cam

fingerstein said:
I don't get it! All my professional photographers and videographers friends at least want to buy a Sony camera for its silent shooting and low light capabilities or they alreadey purchased GH5 for video... Nobody takes Canon as being future proof.

Sony cameras are the least future proof cameras ever made. Their flagships are obsolete two years later; partly, because many of their features are very beta-ish and have very awkward caveats that the next $3,000 camera improves upon.

For example: did you know that a 85/1.8 in AF-S (one-shot) mode will autofocus hunt/wobble worse than a t2i in live view nearly every time, even when two subjects are at nearly identical distances? There's no good reason for this, because it doesn't happen in continuous autofocus mode or with Eye AF with the same lens. Maybe the A7R4 will fix that! :D

And silent shooting... You mean, silent shoooting that distorts pictures like this?

Attachments

• DSC04078.jpg
    DSC04078.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 182
Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013

Talys said:
Don Haines said:
Canon, you need a strategy to deal with this crisis! Let me help you with all the things I have learned from the internet....

First and foremost, change your ergonomics. You have too many buttons and dials, these can be replaced by menus.... and make sure that you have to go at least five levels deep into the menus, as that will impress the users with how complex your camera is.

Stop making the cameras easy to hold. You need to make them as small as possible, and mash the buttons in closer so that the user can push several at the same time.

You need more video features, because if there is anything stills shooters want, it is esoteric video functions..... and while we are at it, a magic codec would help.... in fact, just last week I saw crowds of irate stills photographers protesting in front of the local camera store, demanding a 12 bit codec supporting 6K video at 120 frames per second with zebras and finches....

You need a new mount! If you force everyone to get rid of their lenses, then they will be happy because they have all new gear....

Read this forum and make sure your cameras are consistent with all the user demands, particularly the demands which conflict with the other demands....

Almost! You forgot...

People don't want a camera they can just pick up and shoot. That's just too boring. Everyone should need to spend at least a week to reconfigure their camera so that it's usable.

Also, make sure to make configuration a question of compromises: take the buttons you know people need rapidly accessible, reduce it by one, and then let people pick how to reconfigure the others so that they can have everything they need, minus one. This lets the us forum users incessantly brag about how OUR configuration is the best, instead of being so boring as to just give us buttons for everything we need.

And finally, please release a new flagship camera body every 18 months because we want to keep youtube reviewers in business.

I feel like this is a little too accurate.
I was out shooting with the Fuji X-E2S (and a manual focus lens), it has lots of dials, tons of dials, surely it can do anything your heart desires... as long as it's not separate manual control of ISO and Shutter Speed.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012

Don Haines said:
You need more video features, because if there is anything stills shooters want, it is esoteric video functions..... and while we are at it, a magic codec would help.... in fact, just last week I saw crowds of irate stills photographers protesting in front of the local camera store, demanding a 12 bit codec supporting 6K video at 120 frames per second with zebras and finches....

Yes, but that was last week. The protesters have moved on to demanding 8k in prores 4444. But don't worry about that too much; next week they'll just want raw, but sub $3,000 in a 6D of course.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

fingerstein said:

Maybe time to get some new friends. The one's you have are obviously easily swayed by internet hype and techno-gimmickry. ;D

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

fingerstein said:
By silent, I mean quiet. With no shutter sound at all.

+1 same here!

Really want an absolutely noise-less, vibration-free, mechanics-free, lubricant-substances free fully electronic solid state digital camera system.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

AvTvM said:
fingerstein said:
By silent, I mean quiet.

+1 same here!

+1000

It would be really great if that photography-related thing that makes the same noise repetitively over and over again would just be quiet.

:p

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

AvTvM said:
fingerstein said:

+1 same here!

Really want an absolutely noise-less, vibration-free, mechanics-free, lubricant-substances free fully electronic solid state digital camera system.

Same here, but then again, why do so many people turn on the artificial shutter noise on their phones.......

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

Don Haines said:
AvTvM said:
fingerstein said:

+1 same here!

Same here, but then again, why do so many people turn on the artificial shutter noise on their phones.......

notice that too .. i guess it is a default setting ... if i look at those illiterate smartphone users with noisy artificial shutter sounds ... dont believe they are smart enough to find that setting in some hidden submenu.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Don Haines said:

Because it's laggy and they don't have tactile feedback that they've taken the shot (even if you use the volume rocker for your shutter button on the iPhone like I do).

And I'm sure some people think its cool that their iPhone sounds like a second-hand Canon AE-1.

- A

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:
fingerstein said:
By silent, I mean quiet.

+1 same here!

+1000

It would be really great if that photography-related thing that makes the same noise repetitively over and over again would just be quiet.

:p

lol. That went over some heads.

AvTvM said:

What you want won't exist so long as cameras have multiple optical elements that need to focus light.

But then again, you don't want a camera; you're shopping for a tricorder. 8)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

ahsanford said:
Don Haines said:

Because it's laggy and they don't have tactile feedback that they've taken the shot (even if you use the volume rocker for your shutter button on the iPhone like I do).

And I'm sure some people think its cool that their iPhone sounds like a second-hand Canon AE-1.

- A
and that’s the thing...... some kind of feedback.....

I’d be happy with making the viewfinder “blink” on a mirrorless......

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight

That would be the same people who can’t tell they are typing without the click or beep, they don’t notice the letters appearing on the screen! ::)

Cheers, Graham.

AvTvM said:
notice that too .. i guess it is a default setting ... if i look at those illiterate smartphone users with noisy artificial shutter sounds ... dont believe they are smart enough to find that setting in some hidden submenu.

Upvote 0