Canon Destroys Nikon in DSLR Marketshare for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canon made a big leap over Nikon (in the pro market) with the EOS system. Nikon was slow to respond, but recently they have taken the lead in pro cameras.

I bought a 40D and as soon as the D300 came along I knew I had made a mistake staying with Canon. The D300 was better, but not enough better to make me switch ... then. When Canon came out with the EOS 7D and the POS 60D that clinched it.

Now I have both Canon and Nikon bodies and lenses (no kit lenses for either). My next lens purchase will be another Nikon prime. Will I buy more Canon in the future ? Hard to say, but I see nothing that has been announced/rumored that I'm interested in buying. But Nikon has several things coming I'm waiting to buy.

Nikon's Professional Mirrorless system sounds interesting (and innovative). If it is as good as I hope, I'll order a body and some lenses the day it is announced.

Try to remember that cameras are just tools. Way too many people base their self worth on the kind of camera they have, the make of car they own and the brand of beer they drink.

BTW P&S cameras are quickly being replaced by camera phones. What will be the camera makes response ?

I use both Canon and Nikon, do you have a problem with that ???

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
7enderbender said:
Not quite the same. Let's not forget that SLRs are not the big money maker.

Where do you get your information?

According to the Canon end of 2010 financial report, 22% of the uniit sales were DSLR's, but that translates to 65% of camera sales income from DSLR related equipment!

I'd call DSLR's the big money maker!

http://www.canon.com/ir/conf2010/conf2010e.pdf

Upvote 0
G

goodmane

Regarding 'innovation.'

Canon has the ability to invest in R&D. Canon's DSLR and lens lineup will stay competitive with Sony and Nikon in the long term.

Where Canon appears to have some strategic management blindness is in the fast-growing area of large-sensor compacts that compete with Micro Four Thirds and now Sony NEX.

This territory could and should become larger than DSLR and other digital compacts combined in the long term. I say should because I think large APS-C+ sized sensor compacts provide the quality the typical mass market household want from a camera / video capture device.

If Canon misses the boat, and the others lock people in with system compacts, long term market share positions may be entrenched and resilient within 10-15 years. Why they cannot see that I don't know.

Upvote 0
totally agree on the big-sensor compacts blindness

I see the market for small-sensor compacts becoming much smaller in a couple of years, as people come to realize the camera in their new phone is just good enough in most occasions
http://techcrunch.com/2011/04/17/iphone-4-camera/

so you'll only want to take an additional gadget with you if it really offers something more

but many people don't want to carry a big camera such as a dslr, and that's where big-sensor compacts will fill in, eating a big chunk of the market for high-end small-sensor compacts and low-end DSLRs

what amazes me is that the companies that are making big-sensor compacts (panasonic, sony, samsung) are also making phones, while the camera makers that don't make phones (canon, nikon) don't seem to be interested in big-sensor compacts either

wake up, someone's going to eat your lunch!!

Upvote 0
scalesusa said:
7enderbender said:
Not quite the same. Let's not forget that SLRs are not the big money maker.

Where do you get your information?

According to the Canon end of 2010 financial report, 22% of the uniit sales were DSLR's, but that translates to 65% of camera sales income from DSLR related equipment!

I'd call DSLR's the big money maker!

http://www.canon.com/ir/conf2010/conf2010e.pdf

Good question. I was actually basing my assumption on that same financial statement and those from previous years. They say its 22% DSLR of sales of their what they call "consumer segment" (which is all cameras as opposed to their industry supplies). And that's not the same as profit. I would think that it's pretty expensive to develop and manufacture the pro line of cameras and that their margin is likely very slim. Probably a different story for Rebels and related items. Would be interesting to know how much of that business is in the 22%.

Upvote 0
NormanBates said:
totally agree on the big-sensor compacts blindness

That's photo enthusiast think. Average people don't care about sensor size. What they want is something to post on the web easily (cell phones with cameras) and something that will make good 8x10/12x18 prints. A Canon 20D was good enough to do this. A Olympus/Panasonic m4/3 is good enough to do this.

Nikon and Sony APS-C cameras are 1.5x, Canon APS-C are 1.6x, m4/3 are 2x and the new Nikon should be 2.5x (rumors based on patents). Compare the lens size between Sony's E-mount lenses, m4/3 lenses and what should be the even smaller Nikon 2.5x lenses. For many people smaller is better based on ease of carry. :D

You can't put a 1Ds III with a 70-200 f2.8 into even a very large pocket. :D But why would you want to, if it is in your pocket no-one would see your awesome camera :D :D

Upvote 0
I don't think you got what I wanted to say

I think canon's blindness towards the big-sensor compact market is a bad thing for canon

phones are quickly going to eat most of the point-and-shoot market; people will only buy a camera if it offers more than what they already have in their phones, and that means either superzoom (an already mature market) or big-sensor compacts

and on the other side big-sensor compacts will eat a chunk of the low-end DSLR market, as they offer similar image quality in a smaller package

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.